Damien Duff - needs a cut

NSG

Just back from the match. (Live in Edinburgh.)  I thought Milner was very poor and Duff should have been on at least 20 minutes before he was. Why were we constantly throwing long balls forward against a really cr*p side like Derby. ?

has pissed me off so much the people on this forum ready to write him off, he'll show what a great player he is

Stand by for numerous people who said we didn't need him to do a u turn.

He was always signed as a player of a good age, for a good fee, with his best years in front of him. Injury permitting.

Best years in front of him? :lol:

And we didnt need to sign him at the time. We needed players for other positions, as Huntington at left back and Sibierski/Rossi up front proved.

has pissed me off so much the people on this forum ready to write him off, he'll show what a great player he is

He was always signed as a player of a good age, for a good fee, with his best years in front of him. Injury permitting.

And we didnt need to sign him at the time. We needed players for other positions, as Huntington at left back and Sibierski/Rossi up front proved.

Well, I hope you don't harp on about the club lacking "planning" if that is what you think. Nice to have him on the books to replace Nobby though, hopefully, now that he's gone, and he was knocking on 30 at the time we bought Duff.

That new left back that we needed has done very well hasn't he, along with the other defenders we needed as well.

Are you advocating instead of signing Sibierski and Rossi, we should have spent more money and gone more into debt by any chance ? Or do you think we would have got a top quality goalscorer for the 5m we paid for Duff, because I would be curious to know who exactly you had in mind at a price like that ?

Well, I hope you don't harp on about the club lacking "planning" if that is what you think. Nice to have him on the books to replace Nobby though, hopefully, now that he's gone, and he was knocking on 30 at the time we bought Duff.

That new left back that we needed has done very well hasn't he, along with the other defenders we needed as well.

Are you advocating instead of signing Sibierski and Rossi, we should have spent more money and gone more into debt by any chance ? Or do you think we would have got a top quality goalscorer for the 5m we paid for Duff, because I would be curious to know who exactly you had in mind at a price like that ?

McCarthy for £6mill maybe?

Who I think we should have signed is irrelevent. I dont know who was available or not. That doesnt mean we should have spent 1/3rd of the transfer budget on a third left winger. You know, we had NZogbia, Milner, Dyer, and Solano at the time. Why add another winger to that set, when the defensive squad was Ramage, Babayaro, Huntington, Boumsong, Taylor, Carr, Bernard, etc, and up front for that season we had Martins, Sibierski, Rossi, Ameobi?

I appreciate that Duff used to be a top player, but he was rubbish for Chelsea by the time we signed him, and he was exactly the same for us. Maybe he'll do better under Big Sam, and I hope he does, but dont try and rubbish completely legitimate, and in fact correct, views about that particular signing at that time - as 14th place, poor performances and regularly being injured proved, did it not?

Unless we spend even more money in January, Duff (and/or Owen) playing well is our only hope of finishing any higher than 14th this season, because I can't see Allardyce's signings playing his system achieving it.

Title amended to suit current thread title trend ;)

Thought he looked dashing. When Martins laid off a poor pass that resulting in the ball going out of play, Duff turned his head sharply to look at him, then turned back - his hair was like a a hula skirt the way it moved a second or so later, really impressive. Reminded me of Baloo the Bear dancing with the monkeys.

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org/images/baloo-kaa.jpg

Fantastic? All he did was his usual squat over the ball and... give it away. I'd get rid tomorrow.

Rubbish.

Which bit?

All of it.

Indeed. Other options? Stick with the usual shite of trying to knock peoples heads off after a slow paced dance. Good performance for me. 100% better than the usual shite. Not great but vertainly better. Lets face it,he doesnt have to do much to outperform the others.

Fantastic? All he did was his usual squat over the ball and... give it away. I'd get rid tomorrow.

Rubbish.

Which bit?

All of it.

Indeed. Other options? Stick with the usual shite of trying to knock peoples heads off after a slow paced dance. Good performance for me. 100% better than the usual shite. Not great but vertainly better. Lets face it,he doesnt have to do much to outperform the others.

That's probably it. So used to having the same old same old trundle down the wing, that when a proper winger turns up I go overboard :lol:

The thing that pissed me off most was switching Milner to the right when Duff came on.

We've been waiting all bastard season to see that with Charlie on the left, but as soon as this useless bugger turns up, he does it. Talk about pulling my hair out.

The thing that pissed me off most was switching Milner to the right when Duff came on.

We've been waiting all bastard season to see that with Charlie on the left, but as soon as this useless bugger turns up, he does it. Talk about pulling my hair out.

He's not that bad man.

Beye + Milner / N'Zogbia + Duff have the potential to be quite exciting down either flank if you ask me, hope we get to see it before Beye jets off to Ghana.

It's Ghana be hard to replace Beye when he goes to the ACN :(

Beye + Milner / N'Zogbia + Duff have the potential to be quite exciting down either flank if you ask me, hope we get to see it before Beye jets off to Ghana.

It's Ghana be hard to replace Beye when he goes to the ACN :(

Oh dear! :lol:

You never know, Geremi might stay so that he gets a place in the team back. It's the only way I can see him getting a look in these days.

We might see Milner at RB yet, to accomodate Duff... :iamatwat:

I was really surprised by the arrogant little toe-rag! :razz: The image of him lounging back in his seat like a couch potato with chewing gum hanging out of his mouth merely ignited previous dislikes, however when he came on he looked very sharp.

Like i said in the match thread, what was most surprising was that he actually looked like he had a good turn of pace. He couldn't beat a man to save his life last season, unless it was against Belgian part-timers, but he did it yesterday and there were some very useful forays into the box. Like someone's said, he missed one obvious opportunity to lay it off to N'Zogbia, but i'll put that down to match sharpness, he's been out for a very long time.

Certainly encouraging, though. I think it'd be safest to have him on the bench at Wigan and hope to give him 30 minutes or so, just to be careful, and then look to start him against City.

I was really surprised by the arrogant little toe-rag! :razz: The image of him lounging back in his seat like a couch potato with chewing gum hanging out of his mouth merely ignited previous dislikes, however when he came on he looked very sharp.

Like i said in the match thread, what was most surprising was that he actually looked like he had a good turn of pace. He couldn't beat a man to save his life last season, unless it was against Belgian part-timers, but he did it yesterday and there were some very useful forays into the box. Like someone's said, he missed one obvious opportunity to lay it off to N'Zogbia, but i'll put that down to match sharpness, he's been out for a very long time.

Certainly encouraging, though. I think it'd be safest to have him on the bench at Wigan and hope to give him 30 minutes or so, just to be careful, and then look to start him against City.

A half/60 minutes against Chelsea in between, or a rest?