Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well it did say on the official site that they'd only had an offer accepted....still hope that we could do the same.  Although I really couldn't see Spurs putting on their site if Modric hadn't already agreed terms.

They've agreed terms, see the article on their official site again:

"The Club is delighted to announce that it has reached agreement with Dinamo Zagreb for the transfer of Croatian midfielder, Luka Modric.

Personal terms have been agreed with the player and he will now undertake a medical and apply for a work permit."

3 things in life I hate and never want to see.

Me being proved wrong by The Sun.

NUFC losing out.

THFC gaining something positive.

What a horrible night this is turning out to be.

I warned you that all the hype was just the Croats playing us off against other clubs to get a higher fee ;

We will always struggle to get S.European players to move north because we are NOT now seen as a glamour club. It will take several years of consistent success before we will be able to challenge either Top 4 or Spurs(because of their geographical position) for the best players.

Some on here need to get real - we have fallen a long, long way since the heady days of 1996 or 2002 and there is a long road ahead to try to out right what has been damaged.

Concentration on spotting(and bringing in) young players BEFORE they reach the spotlight that Modric is now in is our best route to success, as well as developing a really good Academy...

If you don't believe what I have said, think back to 96- would Spurs have been able to challenge us for ANY player, let alone Shearer..!??

NUFC losing out.

I warned you that all the hype was just the Croats playing us off against other clubs to get a higher fee ;

We will always struggle to get S.European players to move north because we are NOT now seen as a glamour club. It will take several years of consistent success before we will be able to challenge either Top 4 or Spurs(because of their geographical position) for the best players.

Some on here need to get real - we have fallen a long, long way since the heady days of 1996 or 2002 and there is a long road ahead to try to out right what has been damaged.

Concentration on spotting(and bringing in) young players BEFORE they reach the spotlight that Modric is now in is our best route to success, as well as developing a really good Academy...

If you don't believe what I have said, think back to 96- would Spurs have been able to challenge us for ANY player, let alone Shearer..!??

i don't think that we need to be so negative :smug: i belive that KK will bring us good players this summer even though we missed out on modric.

And now we know that Ashley is willing to back keegan with big money for unproven player from Zagreb so I feel confident what he's willing to do if they are going for a proven player.

Guest redmayne

lets see what happens he aint gone anywhere yet an the sun is a load of fucking bollocks anyway

i wouldnt be suprised if they are using spurs to get more money out of us......

i cant see spurs paying 20M for a player full stop they arent that big a club and dont hav that cash

It wouldn't be the problem of money, as what ppl mentioned before, if we just lose out our first target by just 1.2m then Ashley/Wise should go to hell.

Probably it's the player who reject us, not the club.

And, to be fair, if he has consulted Viduka or Kranjcar about the performance of Newcastle/Tottenham for these few years, and the future prospect,

it isn't that strange to choose them over us. Ramos has already make significant progress by winning the league cup, having the chance to play UEFA next season.

while KK just have a great run in premiership, and no UEFA next season.

Sad but understandable.

And it's time to give him a career ending tackle, Butt/Barton.

Guest Brazilianbob

He has to pass his medical first!  Be a laugh if he were to fail it!

Seriously though, do we really want a player who goes to a club purely for their geographical position, because our whole set up is better than Spurs in terms of support, ground, training facilities, academy etc.  He will regret going to spurs when he sees NUFC take off next season.  I don't even think Spurs have a player I would want at NUFC.  Owen will outscore Berbatov next season and Martins and Viduka will more than match Keanes exploits.  I think Ledley King is the only Spurs player I would be mildly interested in, and he can't play more than 20 games a season now due to his injuries.  Mark my words, Modric may be good but he is only one player and when he is surrounded by mediocre players like Jenas and Huddlestone, he will fade into obscurity.  It may be we have used Modric as a smokescreen for some other deal. Lets wait and see what happens!

He has to pass his medical first!  Be a laugh if he were to fail it!

Seriously though, do we really want a player who goes to a club purely for their geographical position, because our whole set up is better than Spurs in terms of support, ground, training facilities, academy etc.  He will regret going to spurs when he sees NUFC take off next season.  I don't even think Spurs have a player I would want at NUFC.  Owen will outscore Berbatov next season and Martins and Viduka will more than match Keanes exploits.  I think Ledley King is the only Spurs player I would be mildly interested in, and he can't play more than 20 games a season now due to his injuries.  Mark my words, Modric may be good but he is only one player and when he is surrounded by mediocre players like Jenas and Huddlestone, he will fade into obscurity.  It may be we have used Modric as a smokescreen for some other deal. Lets wait and see what happens!

Got to love that optimism...

Disappointed, but plenty more fish in the sea..

Guest nufc_geordie

NUFC losing out.

Some realism at last,I mentioned a similar argument in a thread yesterday about why we couldn't get the world class players!

Guest Wally_McFool

First Woodgate now Modric . Its time for a reality check unfortunately. No Europe means no top quality players.

JImmy Bullard it is then.  :dave:

Guest Brazilianbob

First Woodgate now Modric . Its time for a reality check unfortunately. No Europe means no top quality players.

JImmy Bullard it is then.  :dave:

Bullard would probably do a better job than Modric in all honesty

We were late in for Woodgate and it would appear we are late in again for Modric. It is a clear case of the London/Lancashire effect with players preferring top 4 or capital leading lights to the likes of perennial under achievers such as ourselves.

Once again, we have been used and abused and played for fools by selling clubs.

It is now time to box clever and tell them that no matter how good the player is, we can find better elsewhere so fuyck off and stick him where it hurts.

I havent seen this kid play and by all accounts, he is quality...............in CROATIA. It may be a different kettle of fish in the EPL and he wont be pulling up any trees at the Yids.

Guest Brazilianbob

Won't be the first and certainly won't be the last time this happens.  I have no doubt whatsoever that Woodgate and Modric will find themselves looking up the table at us next season and maybe even this season if the results go for us.  After all we are level with Spurs on points after an absolutely horrendous season.  Fair do's, they have got into the UEFA cup via the Carling Cup, but they wouldn't have got anywhere near Europe otherwise.  They have probably gone for Modric because we have told them they wouldn't get N'Zogbia on the cheap.  Hopefully, KK will tell N'Zogbia that he is staying now that Spurs have signed a left sided midfielder.