Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Positives of "missing out"

We obviously have money

We're obviously after top players

We obviously interested one of the world's hottest properties

We're obviously casting our net nice and early

Oh fuck West Ham have scored...

Guest elpapi

What leads me to believe he was not our number one target is that if he was, KK would have pulled out all the stops and would have shown far more enthusiasm than he did in yesterday's press conference which was a kind of "meh" how I read it. I think our interest was forced due to the sudden availability of this player, a player we've scouted before KK arrived, and the fact that according to reports, we weren't prepared to go over the top with fees/wages which I think we only would do for our number 1 targets. KK says himself he prefers experienced ready made players, the finished articles if possible or players near to that which we can attract.

finished articles like Riise? it's taking weighted risks like berbatov and modric for dcent prices which makes you able to sell them with a profit... something spurs have a good history of, opposite to us...

You win some, you lose some.

I'd say the bright thing about this for you is that 1. Keegan had a go and 2. He had a go early. Shows he's not sitting on his arse waiting till the last day of the window (like a certain other PL manager I could name).

I'd imagine it was the London factor which swung it, which is something clubs outside the capital are always going to struggle with when signing foreigners.

If he is that good, Spurs wouldn't have been able to have signed him. All he is is a young player with a lot of potential, perhaps no more than a Hugo Viana... It seems in the world today if a young player happens to be foreign and is linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea et al, he must be a world-class player in the making.

Like I said if he was another Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho or whoever, he wouldn't still be playing for Zagreb at the age of 22 much less on his way to Spurs. Now I'm not saying he will not develop into a great player, I don't know, but it's embarrassing reading all these cyber weaps from people who probably haven't even seen that much of him.

Good for Spurs signing a so-called top young player, I'm sure he isn't the only top young player out there though and I'm more than sure we will sign top quality this summer, preferably players that I have seen or am aware of rather than shelling out huge sums for a 22 year old player who hasn't even played that many games in the lets be honest, nothing league of Croatia.

I honestly feel we've dodged another Viana here, that's what Spurs and us being allowed by the world's elite clubs to show interest in this player and for Spurs, able to sign him, in such a rushed fashion ahead of a tournament that could add more millions to players' price tags, leads me to wonder. Whether this player really is all that.

It's all right performing for the top club in Croatia and doing well at international level for a team on the up in a weak qualifying group that contained a piss poor England side, but it's a different matter altogether performing to high levels in the Premier League on a weekly basis.

Just look at our own talented N'Zogbia, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young et al - all talented and top young players but if you asked me whether these players have what it takes to become world-class top tier Premier League and European players I'd say no. Very few do.

Look at Elano, a few good games having arrived from Ukraine which has a higher standard of league than Croatia and now what? He's a good player of course, but great? Not in a million years.

Good luck to Spurs I say, makes for a more interesting and hopefully competitive league which can only make ourselves rise to the challenge more.

PS I have my doubts whether we were seriously interested in this player, or rather I don't think he is our number 1 target for that position. I think Zagreb's willingness to do business NOW and now only, made us show some interest rather than us going straight for him. In short he was an option, one of several in all ears we are looking at.

absolute top post.

I saw the news and felt a little sinking feeling, but then thought to myself....I've never even seen or heard of this lad besides his speculation and waht I've seen on video sites. 

Make no mistake about it, you know Keegan and co. have their targets and they will do their best to bring top talent here.  Im proud of this news to be honest, we won't be messed around for a fee, if the news is to be believed - yeah, we may have bags of money now, Mike Ash and Co. will supply Keegan with the money HE NEEDS to bring us the top quality players we desire.  Keegan will do that for us..

And if you are still upset by not signing Modric, look on the bright side - we are in the month of April/May...Lots of time TO SIGN THE PLAYERS WE NEED.

Disappointed as fuk about this, but glad we went for him, were bound to snare a decent player someday, this day it wasn't meant to be.

Shame about his treble fracture in Euro 2008 like.  O0

Truth is we've got some groundwork to do first, Modric was just out of reach but there will be others out there maybe not as high profile which we can tempt and make our own.

Euro football & captial pull helped in this one, no denying, nothing we can do about one of them, but the other is that groundwork we need to get working on, lets hope we achieve next season.

i don't think that modric prefered spurs over nc, or london over nc, he just wanted to get out of dinamo...he often said that money is not an issue and that he just wants to leave. he wanted to go to play in spain, barcelona being his fav team. Mamic brothers sold him to the higher bidder and he told croatian press that he wasn't at negotiatons but that he was informed by mamic brothers of how they went....

Guest optimistic nit

What leads me to believe he was not our number one target is that if he was, KK would have pulled out all the stops and would have shown far more enthusiasm than he did in yesterday's press conference which was a kind of "meh" how I read it. I think our interest was forced due to the sudden availability of this player, a player we've scouted before KK arrived, and the fact that according to reports, we weren't prepared to go over the top with fees/wages which I think we only would do for our number 1 targets. KK says himself he prefers experienced ready made players, the finished articles if possible or players near to that which we can attract.

i think keegan would have been absolutely extactic with moderic myself. i also think that he doesn't like to talk openly about players he's trying to sign in press conferences, it wasn't a "meh".

Imo we just don't want to overspend on players. we wasted small fortunes on boum and luque, and however many goals owen is scoring i'm not happy with him being on 110 grand a week unless we get CL football. Duff, Viduka and Emre are also earning way too much. say (just say) moderic asked for 75K a week i'd have told him to fuck off, because a 22 year old whose only played in croatia before isn't worth that, its too big a risk for the amount of money involved. imo we did pull out all the stops, but he either preffered spurs, or we weren't preapareed to go crazy to get him (rightly so). even if we do find excelent players who will want to come to us, we're not in europe this season, so we cant really afford to risk offereing them anything we can just to get them here.

Keegan spoke about bringing in 4 or 5 quality players the other day, if the quality he's talking about is similar to that of Modric then it's going to cost us huge money this summer, if that's the case then you can't expect them to overspend on individuals.

Time to lock this shit now anyway IMO, slightly depressing seeing this at the top of the page all the time, lets move on...

Guest Knightrider

i think keegan would have been absolutely extactic with moderic myself. i also think that he doesn't like to talk openly about players he's trying to sign in press conferences, it wasn't a "meh".

Imo we just don't want to overspend on players. we wasted small fortunes on boum and luque, and however many goals owen is scoring i'm not happy with him being on 110 grand a week unless we get CL football. Duff, Viduka and Emre are also earning way too much. say (just say) moderic asked for 75K a week i'd have told him to fuck off, because a 22 year old whose only played in croatia before isn't worth that, its too big a risk for the amount of money involved. imo we did pull out all the stops, but he either preffered spurs, or we weren't preapareed to go crazy to get him (rightly so). even if we do find excelent players who will want to come to us, we're not in europe this season, so we cant really afford to risk offereing them anything we can just to get them here.

He would have been happy of course but ecstatic? If Modric meant that type of player to KK he'd have pulled out all the stops and money wouldn't have been an issue. I think he has bigger irons in the fire personally. Aye you're probably right it wasn't a "meh" and he doesn't give much away either, but I don't think he'll be too concerned that we've seemingly missed out on Modric because again, I really don't think he was top of the list.

The way I've read it (and I could be wrong but I don't think I am) is that it was the Mamic brothers who came to us rather than us going to them, they also went to a few Premier League clubs. Liverpool were credited with a strong interest for example and the player himself said he would be honoured to play for them most recently, but I don't think he was top of their list either. This was an opportunistic deal for me, one that we looked at strongly, but obviously didn't want to extend our interest in the face of competition from Spurs and who knows, other clubs. I mean he has been touted around a bit.

Regarding your point that we don't want to overspend, I think we will be more than prepared to do that but not for players like Modric who is such an unknown quantity lets be honest and a big big gamble and where wages and transfer fees are concerned, quite an expensive purchase. For a more renowned player or a bigger name or someone KK badly wanted I think we'll be prepared to break the bank and who knows, that may end up being someone from the top of the list rather than as I feel with Modric, someone high up but not numero uno.

When KK badly wants a player he will be backed and we will do far more to get that player than the lengths we have rumoured to have went to to get Modric, as we did with Woodgate who KK publicly said he was gutted to miss out on, someone he tried to sign despite the odds in our favour being very very slim given that Woodgate had already agreed to join Spurs in principle and fees had been agreed between Boro and Spurs.

I've tried all week to get some info on this whole deal and nothing I picked up pointed to Modric being our number one target or someone worth breaking the bank for or going further like entering a bidding war or pushing the boat out to get our man in terms of wages etc.

Hmm, well this thread has changed a little since I last read it.

Did someone seriously just suggest that we're better off with Emre? :D

Guess this means N'Zogbia won't be going to Spurs now, so we're stuck with him too?

Guest optimistic nit

maybe when it was kk and hall that would have been the case, but its different now. i do think keegan would have been extatic if he'd signed, but at the same time i doubt he's devistated now. if he does have a list of 3 players in every position then he's not put all his money on one horse and he's probably got a lot more talent on those lists (we've already signed a hungarian under 19 and someone that atlanta were very pissed off we nicked from them, so regardless of whether they turn out to be first teamers i think we can saftely assume we have a vast scouting network, and the bigger the network, the more players to choose from).

Moderic would have been a brilliant signing for us, but i don't think losing him is a great loss, and its quite possible he wasn't top of the list as you say.

in my opinion the way that we are working means that there will be no overspending and less risk talking than before. thats not to say we wont be spending 20mill on a player, but if we do that, we will do it for a player who we think will be a star.

Guest Knightrider

Keegan spoke about bringing in 4 or 5 quality players the other day, if the quality he's talking about is similar to that of Modric then it's going to cost us huge money this summer, if that's the case then you can't expect them to overspend on individuals.

Exactly, if you're going to spend silly money you try and spend it on renowned players first and try and be more sensible where the not so renowned players are concerned, especially players from nations like Croatia who could well end up big expensive flops of which we've experienced before with Viana.

We are going to spend an awful lot this summer to turn this club around and we must make sure what we spend it on turns out to be value for money bringing in real and instant quality because there isn't going to be many spending sprees if any like it again as the long-term goal is for the club to be self-financed with our successes (that's the plan) paying for whatever is required in the near future along the same lines of how Man Utd is ran, with our academy and scouting network also taking over to keep adding quality to the squad from within.

£15m for Modric, this 22 year-old player who could just as well flop here in the Premier League as much as succeed, and the wages he'd be looking at, over so many years could mean a £30m transfer. You pay that for players you at least know can succeed here or who have shown they are more than potential, but the real deal. And I expect us too and hope that is indeed how we do things from now on.

I would want us to find a Modric when he's 17-18 and develop from there so that any money we do have goes on more certain talent, which balanced alongside each other, should be the best way to sustain this club for the now and just as importantly the future.

You win some, you lose some.

I'd say the bright thing about this for you is that 1. Keegan had a go and 2. He had a go early. Shows he's not sitting on his arse waiting till the last day of the window (like a certain other PL manager I could name).

I'd imagine it was the London factor which swung it, which is something clubs outside the capital are always going to struggle with when signing foreigners.

That and the extra few million we wouldn't pay..

HTT, I commend your position on the whole situation - very positive indeed, just what we need!

Really hope, as you say, that this was an opportunistic deal that we lost out on rather than a targeted signing

Guest Alan Shearer 9

There's absolutely nothing that points towards him succeeding in the Prem, or failing; simply haven't seen much of him and what I have seen isn't mindblowing. Laughable that so many "internet fans" are up in arms about this whole affair having seen fuck all of the lad. I'm absolutely not bothered either way; the only thing I do know about Modric is he is overhyped and overpriced.

Like how numerous people are now predicting he will fail. Wouldn't have been saying that if he'd signed with us.

Never seen him play so can't judge him but thought it was amusing the swing in opinion here.