Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So much for the new set up with Wise and Co, no change, best players still want to go to London or the big clubs.  Lets hope they are more successful with other targets and have a back up for Modric which isnt Deco.

We have 4 months to find someone of Modrics ability FFS and he was never a gaurenteed success anyway.

Wise and Co will already be negotiating other deals. Wait until semptember 1st before analysing our success in the market please.

Guest elpapi

So much for the new set up with Wise and Co, no change, best players still want to go to London or the big clubs.  Lets hope they are more successful with other targets and have a back up for Modric which isnt Deco.

You're not blaming players still choosing london on wise and co I hope? Btw I'm not sure geography was modric's main reason to join spurs...

Guest Knightrider

If he is that good, Spurs wouldn't have been able to have signed him. All he is is a young player with a lot of potential, perhaps no more than a Hugo Viana... It seems in the world today if a young player happens to be foreign and is linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea et al, he must be a world-class player in the making.

Like I said if he was another Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho or whoever, he wouldn't still be playing for Zagreb at the age of 22 much less on his way to Spurs. Now I'm not saying he will not develop into a great player, I don't know, but it's embarrassing reading all these cyber weaps from people who probably haven't even seen that much of him.

Good for Spurs signing a so-called top young player, I'm sure he isn't the only top young player out there though and I'm more than sure we will sign top quality this summer, preferably players that I have seen or am aware of rather than shelling out huge sums for a 22 year old player who hasn't even played that many games in the lets be honest, nothing league of Croatia.

I honestly feel we've dodged another Viana here, that's what Spurs and us being allowed by the world's elite clubs to show interest in this player and for Spurs, able to sign him, in such a rushed fashion ahead of a tournament that could add more millions to players' price tags, leads me to wonder. Whether this player really is all that.

It's all right performing for the top club in Croatia and doing well at international level for a team on the up in a weak qualifying group that contained a piss poor England side, but it's a different matter altogether performing to high levels in the Premier League on a weekly basis.

Just look at our own talented N'Zogbia, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young et al - all talented and top young players but if you asked me whether these players have what it takes to become world-class top tier Premier League and European players I'd say no. Very few do.

Look at Elano, a few good games having arrived from Ukraine which has a higher standard of league than Croatia and now what? He's a good player of course, but great? Not in a million years.

Good luck to Spurs I say, makes for a more interesting and hopefully competitive league which can only make ourselves rise to the challenge more.

PS I have my doubts whether we were seriously interested in this player, or rather I don't think he is our number 1 target for that position. I think Zagreb's willingness to do business NOW and now only, made us show some interest rather than us going straight for him. In short he was an option, one of several in all ears we are looking at.

If he is that good, Spurs wouldn't have been able to have signed him. All he is is a young player with a lot of potential, perhaps no more than a Hugo Viana... It seems in the world today if a young player happens to be foreign and is linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea et al, he must be a world-class player in the making. Like I said if he was another Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho or whoever, he wouldn't still be playing for Zagreb at the age of 22 much less on his way to Spurs. Now I'm not saying he will not develop into a great player, I don't know, but it's embarrassing reading all these cyber weaps from people who probably haven't even seen that much of him. Good for Spurs signing a so-called top young player, I'm sure he isn't the only top young player out there though and I'm more than sure we will sign top quality this summer, preferably players that I have seen or am aware of rather than shelling out huge sums for a 22 year old player who hasn't even played that many games in the lets be honest, nothing league of Croatia. I honestly feel we've dodged another Viana here, that's what Spurs and us being allowed by the world's elite clubs to show interest in this player and for Spurs, able to sign him, in such a rushed fashion ahead of a tournament that could add more millions to players' price tags, leads me to wonder. Whether this player really is all that. It's all right performing for the top club in Croatia and doing well at international level for a team on the up in a weak qualifying group that contained a piss poor England side, but it's a different matter altogether performing to high levels in the Premier League on a weekly basis. Just look at our own talented N'Zogbia, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young et al - all talented and top young players but if you asked me whether these players have what it takes to become world-class top tier Premier League and European players I'd say no. Very few do. Look at Elano, a few good games having arrived from Ukraine which has a higher standard of league than Croatia and now what? He's a good player of course, but great? Not in a million years. Good luck to Spurs I say, makes for a more interesting and hopefully competitive league which can only make ourselves rise to the challenge more.

Good post 100 % aggred   :clap: :clap: :clap:

If he is that good, Spurs wouldn't have been able to have signed him. All he is is a young player with a lot of potential, perhaps no more than a Hugo Viana... It seems in the world today if a young player happens to be foreign and is linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea et al, he must be a world-class player in the making.

Like I said if he was another Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho or whoever, he wouldn't still be playing for Zagreb at the age of 22 much less on his way to Spurs. Now I'm not saying he will not develop into a great player, I don't know, but it's embarrassing reading all these cyber weaps from people who probably haven't even seen that much of him.

Good for Spurs signing a so-called top young player, I'm sure he isn't the only top young player out there though and I'm more than sure we will sign top quality this summer, preferably players that I have seen or am aware of rather than shelling out huge sums for a 22 year old player who hasn't even played that many games in the lets be honest, nothing league of Croatia.

I honestly feel we've dodged another Viana here, that's what Spurs and us being allowed by the world's elite clubs to show interest in this player and for Spurs, able to sign him, in such a rushed fashion ahead of a tournament that could add more millions to players' price tags, leads me to wonder. Whether this player really is all that.

It's all right performing for the top club in Croatia and doing well at international level for a team on the up in a weak qualifying group that contained a piss poor England side, but it's a different matter altogether performing to high levels in the Premier League on a weekly basis.

Just look at our own talented N'Zogbia, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young et al - all talented and top young players but if you asked me whether these players have what it takes to become world-class top tier Premier League and European players I'd say no. Very few do.

Look at Elano, a few good games having arrived from Ukraine which has a higher standard of league than Croatia and now what? He's a good player of course, but great? Not in a million years.

Good luck to Spurs I say, makes for a more interesting and hopefully competitive league which can only make ourselves rise to the challenge more.

PS I have my doubts whether we were seriously interested in this player, or rather I don't think he is our number 1 target for that position. I think Zagreb's willingness to do business NOW and now only, made us show some interest rather than us going straight for him. In short he was an option, one of several in all ears we are looking at.

Will make it sweeter when we finish above them anyway ;).

Guest elpapi

If Emre gets his act together we've got a creative midfielder as good and more proven than the likes of Modric imo.

IF...

Guest Knightrider

If he was that good, why didn't the Mamic brothers wait until after the Euros where they would stand a good chance of extracting more money for the player from a wider range of clubs, bigger clubs? Could it be that they have somewhat duped the world with this player? It's not as daft as it sounds, Brazilian clubs have been doing it for years in the same way that the true top clubs would rather harvest talent than let another club have it in case it ends up costing them at a later date. He may well be this top young player but as I haven't seen anything that I can instantly recall of him, he's no more talented than our own N'Zogbia for all I know.

If Emre gets his act together we've got a creative midfielder as good and more proven than the likes of Modric imo.

IF...

Don't see why people are so keen to write him off.  At least see what KK thinks and does with him, a player like him would flourish in a 4-3-3. Should be given a go for sure.

Guest optimistic nit

mackems.gif

we've lost out for a player who many thought was too good for us anyway to a team who have been better than us in the past 5 years and have european football, We Dont. we were on the verge of relegation 5 games ago, now the backroom staff are shite for not managing to entice moderic to sign. we may not have got him, but it shiows our intent, and there are plenty more good players out there.

mackems.gif

we've lost out for a player who many thought was too good for us anyway to a team who have been better than us in the past 5 years and have european football, We Dont. we were on the verge of relegation 5 games ago, now the backroom staff are s**** for not managing to entice moderic to sign. we may not have got him, but it shiows our intent, and there are plenty more good players out there.

Agree, hardly the fault of Wise, Jimenez etc that Modric has a twat for an agent and Spurs are a slightly more attractive proposition than us at the moment. At least see who we bring in during the summer before slamming the new set-up.

Guest optimistic nit

The annoying thing is that now Spurs have their left hand side sorted out which has been their achilles heel for years. Add two quality central midfielders and they're gonna be a dangerous side.

and 2 centrebacks... and a goalkeeper. ;)

Woodgate and King are quality. Yes they're injury prone but one will normally be available when the other isn't and both can carry their defence on their own (as Woodgate did ours when he was here).

imo woodgate isn't anyway near as good as he used to  be. i really don't think boro's defence was that good with him in. also you really do need a consistant back 2, and imo spurs may well risk messing up next season completely trying to get these two starting together. i think the best thing they can do is sell both of them (they'd get about 10mill possably) and go for 2 new cb's. i honestly cant see either making 20 games last season, and woodgate has looked pedestrian at quite a few times for spurs, i'm not sure if he will ever be fit enough to perform to his best, and certainly not fit enough to carry the defence, and if MJ is right about king's problems then the same goes for him.

Guest kingdawson

That's not very nice redmayne. No need tbh.

normally i would agree but living near there and having been spat kicked and punched on that walk to games i cant stand the fuckers i hate them more than any team going

that dawson even being on here really makes me want to f*** his mam and make him smell my fingers :-0

Big guy over the net. Keep getting punched and spat on.

Guest Knightrider

What leads me to believe he was not our number one target is that if he was, KK would have pulled out all the stops and would have shown far more enthusiasm than he did in yesterday's press conference which was a kind of "meh" how I read it. I think our interest was forced due to the sudden availability of this player, a player we've scouted before KK arrived, and the fact that according to reports, we weren't prepared to go over the top with fees/wages which I think we only would do for our number 1 targets. KK says himself he prefers experienced ready made players, the finished articles if possible or players near to that which we can attract.

Guest Knightrider

Letting Alan Shearer go to Southampton was missing out, a player we were interested in not joining us isn't missing out because I'm more than certain whoever does come in to the club will be equal or better or will do well here regardless.

Guest elpapi

IF...

Don't see why people are so keen to write him off.  At least see what KK thinks and does with him, a player like him would flourish in a 4-3-3. Should be given a go for sure.

Not writing the little man off at all, i think - when fit - he'll flourish in our 4-3-3, but fitness can be an issue... i've said before: i hope a full pre-season can get him to the right fitness standards...