Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mort committed to spending spree teamtalkNewcastle chairman Chris Mort has promised Kevin Keegan will be given the chance to build a squad which can compete to sign the biggest names.

Mort and owner Mike Ashley have already sanctioned the manager's summer recruitment plans, although they suffered early frustration when Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Luka Modric turned down a more lucrative deal to join Tottenham instead.

Writing in his programme notes for Monday's Premier League clash with Chelsea, Mort said: "Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further.

"In addition to making any immediate fixes that may be required, as with everything else we have done since Mike acquired the club, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long-term, not just for the next season or two.

"That is why we put a substantial offer in for Luka Modric, who is aged 22.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like (Jonathan) Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London, and European football with Tottenham next season, but these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

Anyone know if that's actually what he wrote?

Not quite sure if that's quite the kind of thing I'd want to be advertising, true or not.

It's certainly interesting insight, so we a still paying bigger wages than Spurs.  What's a worse indicator of a player's character, one that chases the bright lights or one that chases the $$$ ?

Mort committed to spending spree teamtalkNewcastle chairman Chris Mort has promised Kevin Keegan will be given the chance to build a squad which can compete to sign the biggest names.

Mort and owner Mike Ashley have already sanctioned the manager's summer recruitment plans, although they suffered early frustration when Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Luka Modric turned down a more lucrative deal to join Tottenham instead.

Writing in his programme notes for Monday's Premier League clash with Chelsea, Mort said: "Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further.

"In addition to making any immediate fixes that may be required, as with everything else we have done since Mike acquired the club, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long-term, not just for the next season or two.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like (Jonathan) Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London, and European football with Tottenham next season, but these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

Not quite sure if that's quite the kind of thing I'd want to be advertising, true or not.

Would fit in with what Jol said when Modric signed (signed for the manager and European footie).

Why? Whats your views on that bit?

Personally id rather that people know we were offering the cash and werent being penny pinchers and that we were doing as much as we could to sign the players. Id rather he said that then either not mention it or leave it open to speculation for the fans the scrutinize in a way they no doubt would of.

The reason I don't think it's a very good idea to say things like that is because the next time we're negotiating with a player and they say: "Well Newcastle isn't exactly London, is it and you've not got European football either, so why should I sign for you?", what's he going to say: "Well, yeah, I guess you're right."!?!

I know that's not what he's saying there, but by repeating it and telling everyone that players have rejected us in the past because of it, gives it a legitimacy that it shouldn't be getting, least of all from our own chairman. No big deal I here you say, but for me, for the chairman of a football club to be saying that his own club is so unattractive, that players have rejected us despite being offered more money than our rivals were offering them is seriously naive. To do so before the transfer window has even opened and when we are/will be hopefully negotiating with other players who might be concerned about the same things - and will certainly be after more money - smacks of stupidity.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Mort and I think he's done a good job, I also appreciate his honest approach, but there's a time and a place for statements like that and this wasn't it. He should have waited until the end of the window, when potential signings would have had until at least January to forget about it and the club would have had the same period to put some of the issues to bed.

Personally id rather that people know we were offering the cash and werent being penny pinchers and that we were doing as much as we could to sign the players. Id rather he said that then either not mention it or leave it open to speculation for the fans the scrutinize in a way they no doubt would of.

The reason I don't think it's a very good idea to say things like that is because the next time we're negotiating with a player and they say: "Well Newcastle isn't exactly London, is it and you've not got European football either, so why should I sign for you?", what's he going to say: "Well, yeah, I guess you're right."!?!

I know that's not what he's saying there, but by repeating it and telling everyone that players have rejected us in the past because of it, gives it a legitimacy that it shouldn't be getting, least of all from our own chairman. No big deal I here you say, but for me, for the chairman of a football club to be saying that his own club is so unattractive, that players have rejected us despite being offered more money than our rivals were offering them is seriously naive. To do so before the transfer window has even opened and when we are/will be hopefully negotiating with other players who might be concerned about the same things - and will certainly be after more money - smacks of stupidity.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Mort and I think he's done a good job, I also appreciate his honest approach, but there's a time and a place for statements like that and this wasn't it. He should have waited until the end of the window, when potential signings would have had until at least January to forget about it and the club would have had the same period to put some of the issues to bed.

Yeh, i can see what you're saying, and to a degree it makes sense but i dont think he's offering the air of legitimacy to the fact that Spurs are more attrative than us, the bottom line really is that they are and no matter what kind of spin you put on it they are in a better position than us.

By not commenting on the transfer i think he''d be leaving the interpretation to the media and to the cynical fans, which i personally wouldnt recommend, by saying this, to me he's just spelling out exactly what everyone knows. We tried, we played our strongest card but it wasnt quite good enough and there isnt really a great deal we can do about that....its sad but thats the position we are in at the moment.

Yeh, i can see what you're saying, and to a degree it makes sense but i dont think he's offering the air of legitimacy to the fact that Spurs are more attrative than us, the bottom line really is that they are and no matter what kind of spin you put on it they are in a better position than us.

By not commenting on the transfer i think he''d be leaving the interpretation to the media and to the cynical fans, which i personally wouldnt recommend, by saying this, to me he's just spelling out exactly what everyone knows. We tried, we played our strongest card but it wasnt quite good enough and there isnt really a great deal we can do about that....its sad but thats the position we are in at the moment.

I know it, you know it, he knows it, but I still don't like the chairman doing the equivalent of singing "We're shit and we know we are..." in his programme notes.

Would fit in with what Jol said when Modric signed (signed for the manager and European footie).

Thank you.  Modric signing for Spurs had nothing to do with the bright lights of London (the fella who took him and his agent  out to sort out his accommodation said he is the shyest player he has ever met), or salary or location.  Ramos has built up a reputation based on his domestic and european success with Sevilla and now a cup with Spurs too which produced the other incentive to join, european competition next season.

Bilic said 'Tottenham is a perfect club for Luka. Spurs are a better club for Luka than, for example, Chelsea..

Chelsea could have bought him, Lionel Messi and Ronaldinho and then Luka could have ended up on the bench."

Modric said Ramos had been a major factor in his decision.

"It is a big thing that Ramos wanted me in Tottenham so much," Modric said.

"Ramos's desire was my major motivation to play at White Hart Lane."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7369852.stm

London's lights had nothing (or very little) to do in influencing Modric's decision.

Bilic also said newcastle were a better option for Modric than Spurs as we are more likely to challenge for the league. from what ive heard in the croatian press and the lad on here who lives there, the mamic bros respresent both dinamo and modric, so where he goes is entirely up to them.

Guest Knightrider

Bull, he signed because we wouldn't play ball with Zagreb's way of conducting business. I will say this: Modric is parked at WHL for a few years and is on loan at WHL. You don't own him :lol:

Thank you.  Modric signing for Spurs had nothing to do with the bright lights of London (the fella who took him and his agent  out to sort out his accommodation said he is the shyest player he has ever met), or salary or location.  Ramos has built up a reputation based on his domestic and european success with Sevilla and now a cup with Spurs too which produced the other incentive to join, european competition next season.

Bilic said 'Tottenham is a perfect club for Luka. Spurs are a better club for Luka than, for example, Chelsea..

Chelsea could have bought him, Lionel Messi and Ronaldinho and then Luka could have ended up on the bench."

Modric said Ramos had been a major factor in his decision.

"It is a big thing that Ramos wanted me in Tottenham so much," Modric said.

"Ramos's desire was my major motivation to play at White Hart Lane."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7369852.stm

London's lights had nothing (or very little) to do in influencing Modric's decision.

To be fair Bilic said the exact same thing about us and whilst what you say about Ramos's reputation is true, that's a pretty bog-standard rent-a-quote for a new signing:

<insert manager's name here> was a major factor in me signing for <insert club's name here>, it was his enthusiasm/vision/desire/track record/persistence (delete as appropriate) that persuaded me to sign. I'm really happy to be coming to play at <insert name of ground here> in front of these amazing fans.

Guest Knightrider

Is his affection for Ramos similar to the one he expressed for Benitez and Liverpool a few weeks back when he said it would be his honour to play for them and Rafa, a dream I think he said? 50 faced cunt.

Is his affection for Ramos similar to the one he expressed for Benitez and Liverpool a few weeks back when he said it would be his honour to play for them and Rafa, a dream I think he said? 50 faced cunt.

Well, I assume he goes to sleep every night, that's an awful lot of dreams to be fair.

Guest JamesyJazz

Modric signing for Spurs ,well who really gives a flying fuck?One player,one unproved player,one unproved premier league player!

"£20 million!£ 25 million! Well FFS!!I would rather splash out on a proven premier midfielder such as Bullahrd or go down a league and  cherry pick some talent from the up and coming teams.

Just 'cos a man has a Slovak type name and has pulled off a couple of smart moves in some inferior league to our own,doesn't mean to say he's sublime!Get a grip n let's look closer to home for some decent players!

Modric signing for Spurs ,well who really gives a flying fuck?One player,one unproved player,one unproved premier league player!

"£20 million!£ 25 million! Well FFS!!I would rather splash out on a proven premier midfielder such as Bullahrd or go down a league and  cherry pick some talent from the up and coming teams.

Just 'cos a man has a Slovak type name and has pulled off a couple of smart moves in some inferior league to our own,doesn't mean to say he's sublime!Get a grip n let's look closer to home for some decent players!

so not a "proven" prem midfielder like Barton, Smith or Geremi?

I'd rather pay £17m for a talent than £12+ for shite.

Very good player whom I would have been over the moon if we had signed.  However we didn't, Spurs are ahead of us at the moment, they have spent more over the last couple of seasons, finally got a very, very good manager and have won a trophy which is a minor detail elluding us at the moment.  Plus they are a London club which does have an effect, so am I surprised that he signed for Spurs? No. Dissapointed? Yes.

Anyway, its happened, we need to move on, there are other players around and who actually signs for us is more important than who didn't.

You've clearly never watched either Jimmy Bullard or league football. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.