Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

Can't see how this is happen.  Why would he agree to half his wages?

Yes. Did Chelsea stop Mutu playing for anyone else? It seems that once we tear up his contract we are in fact releasing his registration, thus making him a free agent and meaning that we have to go after Barton himself for the money, not his next club.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Because we can sack him and stop him playing for anyone else for four years.

Its not going to be that straight forward, naive to think it is IMO

Agreed, his right to work is guaranteed under the Human Rights Act and we could be seen to be infringing on that right should we stop paying him and yet still refuse to let him play for anyone else.

See Adrian Mutu.

Yes. But Chelsea couldn't stop him playing for Juve could they? It seems that once we tear up his contract we would also be releasing his registration, thus making him a free agent. Meaning that his next club wouldn't be liable for any sort of transfer fee and we would have to go after Barton himself for the money as Chelsea are doing with Mutu.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

That makes sense. :nods:

Guest MagFinnPie

mackems.gif you should go to law school :pow:

Agreed, his right to work is guaranteed under the Human Rights Act and we could be seen to be infringing on that right should we stop paying him and yet still refuse to let him play for anyone else.

See Adrian Mutu.

Thats exactly the sort of thing I mean.  Naive to compare it to the Mutu case, because its nothing like it.

Thats exactly the sort of thing I mean.  Naive to compare it to the Mutu case, because its nothing like it.

Agreed, 1 was guilty of taking substances which hadn't shown up during his medical, the other is a known thug.

See Adrian Mutu.

hold on, wasn't mutu sacked for breach of contract (drugs) and the talk is we'll sack barton for breach of contract (beating the shit out of someone and bringing the club into disrepute i'd guess)?

are they that different?

i'm no lawyer before anyone starts

Guest johnson293

Todays Chronic reckons Willie McKay is off to see Barton in Prison today and tell him the ultimatum from the club... i.e. a £30k/week pay cut or a P45.  :cheesy:

After giving him that news, lets hope McKay gets the same treatment the lad at McDonalds and Dabo got from Barton...  :knuppel2:

According to the Mirror today Barton has flatly refused to accept the pay cut and believes that Newcastle have no grounds to sack him because it is likely that he will be out of jail and available for pre-season.

Not sure how true the story is and whether Barton really has got a leg to stand on if the club decide that they want to terminate his contract. 

Guest Stephen927

Surely in a normal job, being in jail even while on your holidays is a sackable offence? Not sure if it differs too much in the football world. I would say that we have grounds to sack him for hitting some teenager in Liverpool repeatedly?

Scandal that we're paying him £60,000 a week tbh, never mind him being in jail. Ludicrous.

I don't see what the problem is for him, I would dream of earning £30k per week, let alone £60k and to be honest when you are talking about that sort of money a few thousand quids here and there cannot possibly make a difference..........

According to the Mirror today Barton has flatly refused to accept the pay cut and believes that Newcastle have no grounds to sack him because it is likely that he will be out of jail and available for pre-season.

Not sure how true the story is and whether Barton really has got a leg to stand on if the club decide that they want to terminate his contract. 

What a prick!

Just thinking as well that if Dabo does come over to the UK for the pending case against Barton and the court case goes ahead and assuming that he receives a further custodial sentence to run concurrently to the one he is currently serving then he will miss pre season and therefore render himself unavailable to work as per his contract of employment and therefore open to dismissal.

I don't think we want or need him back at Newcastle and yes he is a prick!

Barton showing his mercenary side like he did when we had to pay his signing on fee to release him from City. He might get sunk by the Dabo case though - Pearce and several City players are going to testify and considering City wanted rid following the incident, I don't think many will be speaking in his favour.

30k a week might not sound so bad when he goes down and the prospect of the sack is looming.

Surely if we decided to keep him, we'd be entitled to fine him whatever wages he was paid whilst inside, at least?

One of the rags was saying he isn't getting paid while in prison, whether that's true or not is anyone's guess.

Surely if a bloke is locked up then he shouldn't be getting any moolah, though.

Stupid question time: are you even allowed to earn when in jail in this country?

Not sure but it was reported yesterday that he hasnt been paid whilst inside so probably not.

:doh:

Writing in Tuesday's Mirror, the usually reliable Alan Nixon has updated the Joey Barton story - but seems to have ignored the fact that the midfielder faces a further court case with the threat of another custodial sentence:

Joey Barton put his future on the line last night by rejecting Newcastle's demand for a £30,000-a-week pay cut - pushing Toon towards sacking him.

The jailed midfielder, 25, is unhappy that he is being asked to give up £6million during the remainder of his contract in a measure that smacks of saving money as much as punishment.

Barton refused to speak to Newcastle officials yesterday when they gave him a 'sign or else' ultimatum - and the Scouser is prepared to stand his ground.

Barton missed the deadline to accept Newcastle's offer of a revised deal - and now the Toon management will startthe process of terminating his contract.

However Barton will not take that lying down, despite serving a six-month sentence in Liverpool's Walton jail.

Sources close to him say he feels the penalty is far too high - and he doubts Newcastle's motives for coming up with the pay cut suggestion.

The fact that Toon offered him a deal to stay weakens their hand if they try to sack him, especially as he could be out of prison for pre-season.