Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

I can understand Ashley being annoyed, but if there's nothing in Barton's contract which empowers the club to cut his wages or sack him then that's the end of it.

Life's unfair. Deal with it.

Like I said I doubt there's anything there to protect us against the Dabo trial, as that was already due to take place when we signed him, his lawyers surely wouldn't have been stupid enough to pop a condition in there to say that should he go down Newcastle can terminate the contract with no penanlty and he'll be liable.

However I'm sure he would have signed on a good faith basis that his behaviour has improved, under the promise that he'll not drag the club's name through the dirt and any subsequent court appearance and jail terms will leave him in breach of contract and give us the option to terminate and recover costs. If we haven't got that in there, then Mort especially being a lawyer himself wants his head examined.

Shepherd was the one signing players when Barton was signed iirc.

OK I wasn't sure on dates and stuff so did a little research on the ever unreliable Wiki:

Ashley bought SJH's shares on 23 May.

Confirmation that he was to buy FS out on 7 June.

Barton signed on 14 June.

Shep may still have been the chairman but I find it hard to believe that anyone other than Ashley (with Mort advising) would not have had the final say on the deal going through (which obviously mean't looking at the contract), this was his first purchase and an extremely controversial one at that. Anyway it doesn't really matter as whomever was in charge, to not protect us would be completely mad, considering Barton's history.

Barton signing was confirmed on the date you mentioned. However, all terms were agreed weeks before, but Barton was messing around over a £300,000 bonus he was owed by Manchester City.

That's true but before sanctioning that extra 300k payment our new owners would surely have wanted to OK the contracts, we didn't have to confirm the deal, if we didn't want to. Anyway I think it's a mute point because surely there's something in there that protects us, it's in most every other contract of employment for all walks of life.

Guest Geordiesned

Thought this might happen. Standard practice, wait and see if the witnesses show up and plead if they do.

Ooh get you and your Criminal Justice System knowledge!  :cheesy: I knew I was right to give you a job. ;)

was mort on board when barton's contract was negotiated?

if so, him being a lawyer and all, you'd think he'd have had the foresight to consider this happening from the outset.

Mort is a lawyer but he has nothing to do with either criminal law or employment law.

This is what ACAS have to say on this matter.

If an employee is charged with, or convicted of, a criminal offence not related to work, this is not in itself reason for disciplinary action.  The employer should establish the facts of the case and consider whether the matter is serious enough to warrant starting the disciplinary procedure.  The main consideration should be whether the offence, or alleged offence, is one that makes the employee unsuitable for their type of work.  Similarly, an employee should not be dismissed solely because they are absent from work as a result of being remanded in custody.

We knew about the alleged offence so we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if we sacked him unless he'd signed something in his contract to say that he hadn't committed the offence.

the offence for which he is currently under sentence we didn't know about at that time and he has been sentenced not remanded.

Close the door on your way out, Barton. I sincerely hope the club does everything in it's power to rid itself of this awful person. I've had enough of players who consistently drag the club's name through the mud.

Could do the club greater damage in the long term, if we keep him.

Surely Barton will clean up his act now, right? With any luck, he'll come back to the club a more humble and mature person and this whole ordeal will have meant that his antics are behind us. We need good players, and by all accounts, he's a good player. Until we bring in at least two more centre midfielders, I don't want them to sack Barton.

Surely Barton will clean up his act now, right? With any luck, he'll come back to the club a more humble and mature person and this whole ordeal will have meant that his antics are behind us. We need good players, and by all accounts, he's a good player. Until we bring in at least two more centre midfielders, I don't want them to sack Barton.

You would think so! I don't really see a way back, depending on the sentance tmrw. Strangely I wouldnt mind keeping him, I dont have a rational reason why, just the hope he might turn himself around, he can be a special player, sadly I dont think thats going to happen.

Its not good for the image of a club and sport that is supposed to be family orientated, certainly doesnt reflect well on the club (again), will put players off wanting to come here, maybe parents sending their kids to the academy. Not good for business as far as Ashley is concerned.

Thought this might happen. Standard practice, wait and see if the witnesses show up and plead if they do.

Ooh get you and your Criminal Justice System knowledge!  :cheesy: I knew I was right to give you a job. ;)

:razz:

All the previous times he's been in trouble haven't stopped him getting in worse and worse trouble. He'll be killing someone next based on the escalation process he's been going through with his 'incidents'.

Read this: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7481822.stm

Selected highlights: -

December 2004: Stubs cigar into eye of team-mate Jamie Tandy at Christmas party (fined six weeks' wages)

2005 July: Altercation with teenage fan during Asian tour (fined eight weeks' wages)

2008 May: Jailed for assault

Barton retaliated by punching him in the head, causing the Frenchman to fall over and lose consciousness.

Mr Vardon said several witnesses said Barton continued to punch Dabo while he lay on top of the player, who was in a dazed state.

In May Barton was jailed after an attack in Liverpool which took place two days after Christmas.

CCTV images showed the footballer punching a man 20 times.

Later in May Barton was cleared of vandalising a taxi during a night out in Merseyside.

Guest neesy111

the club should sue him

he pleaded not guilty when it happened, and if he's pleaded guilty while here that mean he's lied somewhere to us, because i'm sure the question would of been asked when we signed him?

or we're allardyce and shepherd tht stupid

Guest Jungle Barry

SSN saying that the judge will impose a suspended sentence. Can also apply for parole apparently. I don't know how to link articles but it's at the bottom of their story on their main football page

edit: also on the beeb as well

the club should sue him

he pleaded not guilty when it happened, and if he's pleaded guilty while here that mean he's lied somewhere to us, because i'm sure the question would of been asked when we signed him?

or we're allardyce and shepherd tht stupid

Am I the only person fascinated by the number of legal experts in this thread :lol:

(Not just aimed at you btw)

I see Barton is the lead story on ITV News at 10pm tonight. It has CCTV footage of his Liverpool assault. They lead with "Joey Barton, should he be sacked?"

Just the sort of headlines we like to see Newcastle associated with. This should be Man City's mess not ours. Thanks Allardyce.

The footage is a disgrace.

It's not a couple of drunken punches in a fight. It's a fucking wanker relentlessly battering two separate people doing nothing back to him.

It's not a couple of drunken punches in a fight. It's a fucking wanker relentlessly battering two separate people doing nothing back to him.

Absolute disgrace.

Importantly, with a bunch of his friends to back him up. If he was alone I don't think this would have happened.

Its also old news IMO.  Have to just let it lie now & let the club decide what to do.