The cost of laying off Sam

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

We need to back Sam, he came to this club with a long term plan which i am sure was to find a system, get it working and then improve on it with better players. Right now he is finding his system, all these bad performances will be performances he will learn from, once we get a new left back and a playmaker we are all of a sudden a different side. Sam didnt expect to exercise his long term plan 7 months into the job, he only planned to start it and thats exactly what he is doing, starting it. What ever happened to the "this is a transitional period", "this is a building season", where are the legions of people who said that in the summer? Why have we all of a sudden forgot those key facts and decided "no fuck it i dont want us to build, i want us to be challenging for the league over night"?

This IS a building period at the club and right now Sam is trying to create a system that works, things are going wrong, these are things i am confident that in time he will fix. To say Sam wants to get sacked is ridiculous, he is a footballing man and would love to get things right here, else he wouldnt have left Bolton, you think he would take a pay off and sit jobless for a few years or would he rather spend those years earning the same amount of money, probably getting success here and becoming remembered forever by Newcastle fans? Get real!

Also when Souness came here we were a top 5 side, he had a terrible season, finished 14th, hardly anyone thought he could do anything here or change us, we all thought we were fucked as we had a shit manager who was destroying our team,  yet we gave him a season and a half, why cant be give a far superior manager half that time?

Either the fans are getting more and more fickle or they are just getting more and more impatient, if we are to ever be successful the fans need to get off their high horses, we arnt a top 5 side anymore so dont expect us to be, we need to stick with Big Sam as he is a manager many of us have faith in to change things, one day we might look back at this and shudder at the thought that we nearly got rid.

Guest The Libertine
"Sam Allardyce's former Bolton Wanderers assistant manager Phil Brown says Newcastle fans need a 'reality check'.

Hull boss Brown, who worked under Allardyce at Bolton, told BBC Radio Five Live: "The sooner all parties - including supporters, including the media - take a reality check (the better).

"Newcastle have only won one trophy in the last 50 years.

"All of a sudden, a new man comes to the helm and everyone expects immediate success. It's ridiculous to expect it.

"Unless you get a £100million purse, as in Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, or a lot of money such as Sven-Goran Eriksson at Man City, I think it's ridiculous to expect immediate success."

he's speaking a lot of sense. a lot of the fans really need to realize we arent "the entertainers" anymore and havent been for about 11 years.

"Sam Allardyce's former Bolton Wanderers assistant manager Phil Brown says Newcastle fans need a 'reality check'.

Hull boss Brown, who worked under Allardyce at Bolton, told BBC Radio Five Live: "The sooner all parties - including supporters, including the media - take a reality check (the better).

"Newcastle have only won one trophy in the last 50 years.

"All of a sudden, a new man comes to the helm and everyone expects immediate success. It's ridiculous to expect it.

"Unless you get a £100million purse, as in Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, or a lot of money such as Sven-Goran Eriksson at Man City, I think it's ridiculous to expect immediate success."

he's speaking a lot of sense. a lot of the fans really need to realize we arent "the entertainers" anymore and havent been for about 11 years.

I never take the views of a sand dancer seriously in life or football.

Don't reckon that many fans think we need to be entertainers, they just want wins.

As iam sure its been said on here before, i have no problem with us finishing mid table in his 1st season and can accept some poor performances while he tries out diffrent formations/tactics, But to go into every game looking to defend a 0-0 and sneek a goal just is not good enough, i dont want SA sacked like i did Souness and Roeder, but he really does need to hagve a rethink on the game plan against the likes of Derby,Wigan etc those teams were awful and there for the taking.

Guest neesy111

that 50 million is a load of bollocks, his backroom staff are at most on 100k a year, very poor journalism and just anohter go at newcastle from the cockney media

Roeder's record started well and was getting steadily worse though. Just like Sam's :D

Agree.

We were going nowhere fast under Roeder, and its even worse with Big Sam at the helm.

Thing is, if you could see shreds that something positive is taking shape. But there is no sign whatsoever of anything good about to happen given time.

Quite the opposite actually.

Guest Knightrider

It wouldn't surprise me if these lazy journalists actually got the idea for this nothing article from this very forum, strange how it comes out a few days after this thread is started.

Roeder's record started well and was getting steadily worse though. Just like Sam's :D

Agree.

We were going nowhere fast under Roeder, and its even worse with Big Sam at the helm.

Thing is, if you could see shreds that something positive is taking shape. But there is no sign whatsoever of anything good about to happen given time.

Quite the opposite actually.

great point, well made

the ONLY thing i can say is positive so far is that he's not pissed away a load of money, but that might be 'cause he never had any

suppose the medical/fitness/scouting things he's doing might qualify but they're very hard to quantify right now

No-one thinking about the implications of sacking a manager after 6 months? Financial reasons arent even close to being the main issue with sacking SA.

Who wants to come to such an underachieving club with instant success as a sminimum. What a load of bollocks. If no one is gonna look at the reality of the situation we are in, nufc will be doomed as a club forever. I honestly feel that way.

We're looking to appoint a world class manager, but we will automatically be draining the pool of potential talent by sacking the previous manager after 6 months.

I cant help but see a similarity between us and Real Madrid, just minus the success.

The first guaratue that any manager will want is longetivity, and so far nufc historically have failed to deliver.

How can we progress if we constantly fal at the first hurdle.

No-one thinking about the implications of sacking a manager after 6 months? Financial reasons arent even close to being the main issue with sacking SA.

Who wants to come to such an underachieving club with instant success as a sminimum. What a load of bollocks. If no one is gonna look at the reality of the situation we are in, nufc will be doomed as a club forever. I honestly feel that way.

We're looking to appoint a world class manager, but we will automatically be draining the pool of potential talent by sacking the previous manager after 6 months.

I cant help but see a similarity between us and Real Madrid, just minus the success.

The first guaratue that any manager will want is longetivity, and so far nufc historically have failed to deliver.

How can we progress if we constantly fal at the first hurdle.

isn't this about the first time we really NEEDN'T consider the financial side of sacking the man?

comes down to one question:  are the things he's implementing off the pitch good/worth enough to outweigh the utter dogshit he's serving up on it?

hard for us to say really ain't it?  but they'd better be DAMN good eh?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Move him upstairs.

Cost £0.

i would 100% agree with that 'cause i honestly think off the pitch he'd make this club MUCH stronger...problem would be his ego, he'd never take the job in my opinion, still thinks he's the best manager in town, but don't they all?

You wouldnt pay up the remainder of his contract you would come to an agreement. If BS wanted the full amount Mort could simply redeploy him as say reserve team manager. Obviously it would be beneficial for both parties for them to come to an amicable agreement

Move him upstairs.

Cost £0.

Aye, I'm sure he'd accept that.

He's more suited to the DOF role with all his backroom charts and gizmos etc..I don't think he'd be too unhappy as he could still be a part of our success and build for the future etc...Stuff he seems to love to chat to the media about.

Move him upstairs.

Cost £0.

He's more suited to the DOF role with all his backroom charts and gizmos etc..I don't think he'd be too unhappy as he could still be a part of our success and build for the future etc...Stuff he seems to love to chat to the media about.

The man, like most top managers, also has a monumental ego, which I'd assume would usually override all else.

What you're suggesting would never happen, not at least until Allardyce feels he can't hack being the "main man" any longer.

I can only see him going into that sort of role well into his advanced years.

Move him upstairs.

Cost £0.

It's that simple. Next step would be to buy a team of world class players.

The thing that's beginning to get to me a bit is that all these quoted observers who criticize the fans for their expectations have all got the wrong end of the stick as to why the fans are unhappy. Why is there no-one to speak for us and put the matter in it's proper context.

It's not immediate success we crave and lambast the mananger for the lack of. It's the style of goddamn play, we're like a championship side just promoted and trying to survive out first season, content to regard a finishing position above the relegation zone as a good result for the season.

Guest GodOfRods

The thing that's beginning to get to me a bit is that all these quoted observers who criticize the fans for their expectations have all got the wrong end of the stick as to why the fans are unhappy. Why is there no-one to speak for us and put the matter in it's proper context.

It's not immediate success we crave and lambast the mananger for the lack of. It's the style of goddamn play, we're like a championship side just promoted and trying to survive out first season, content to regard a finishing position above the relegation zone as a good result for the season.

Fully agree mate. No one is demanding that we win a trophy this season or win the effing league next season, we're unhappy at the absolute dross we see on the pitch against teams like Wigan, Derby & Fulham.  :tickedoff:

There's no point in laying off Big Sam or his staff unless some outstanding coach suddenly becomes available. For all his blinkered approach on the pitch, Allardyce has brought some much needed improvements off it.

There's no point in laying off Big Sam or his staff unless some outstanding coach suddenly becomes available. For all his blinkered approach on the pitch, Allardyce has brought some much needed improvements off it.

Whats has he brought off it? I dont know anything about whats going on behind closed doors but i'd love to know.