Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Chelsea: Hilario; Belletti, Ben Haim, Alex, Bridge; Mikel, Essien, Ballack, Cole; Wright-Philips, Kalou.

Subs: Taylor, Sidwell, Pizarro, Sinclair, Ferreira

Newcastle United: Given; Beye, Cacapa, Taylor, N'Zogbia; Milner, Butt, Faye, Smith, Duff; Martins.

Subs: Harper, Emre, Owen, Rozehnal, Viduka

Post match reaction from here: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48252.msg1125326#msg1125326

PLEASE DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REQUEST OR PROVIDE LINKS TO ILLEGAL STREAMS. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE BANNED*

*See http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=19161.0 for more information

I love the fact Faye is finally being played in midfield. He should be an improvement over Geremi. Taylor and Cacapa should be okay at the back too as the Chelsea strikers aren't particularly physical today.

If Milner, Duff and Martins can somehow get the ball played into their feet they could really give Ben Haim and Alex a scare too. Also it looks like Alan Smith will be given the freedom to charge forward from midfield rather than play the holding role so hopefully he will be better at doing this, and should essentially offer Martins support from there as a second striker type.

I'm choosing to be optimistic with this. I'm tired of the negativity. I'll at least wait to see how we perform before getting upset about anything to do with the tactics etc.

I'm really hoping for a big game from Faye in the middle of the park.

Given

Beye      Cacapa        Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                Butt

Milner          Martins                Duff

Would be my guess. Three holding midfield players effectively.

Much as I want to slap Allardyce round the face at the moment for his ridiculous tactics, this is a bit of a no-win situation for him. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If he goes 4-4-2 and gets beat, people will say it was wrong because it's Chelsea away and we need to keep it tight.

If he goes 4-5-1 and gets beat, peopel will say we should have had a go at them.

Personally I think we should have a go at them, we'll not get a better chance to beat them on their own turf given their absentees. 4-4-2 suits the players better and we need to create something and have a go at them. If we fail, we fail. At least we've had a go.

(Probably be another insipid 4-5-1 again though with half the team playing out of position and no shots on goal)

Guest Knightrider

Given

Faye

Mine too, on the ball anyway. If we are to have any chance they need to play the ball on the floor.

Given

Beye      Cacapa         Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                 Butt

Milner           Martins                Duff

Hopefully Alan Smith will be asked to get forward from midfield rather than sit in as a third holding midfielder.

Given

Faye

Mine too, on the ball anyway. If we are to have any chance they need to play the ball on the floor.

With that trio in central midfield, we will be utterly incapable of playing the ball on the floor.

I just can't see the merit in changing the personnel and setup so drastically from game to game, it really confuses me.

It's been a pretty busy period so maybe it was to keep the team relatively fresh.

Then again, the team that played away to Wigan was so pathetic that the team needed a bit of a shakeup too.