Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Chelsea need to be careful, they might just try and sit back on the one nil.

Actually I think we've played relatively well everything considered.

I'd like to see Zogg pushed up and Owen come on and go to 442 and let's have a go at them. Nothing to lose.

I'm actually of the opinion we could get something from this game if we clicked and had some players in the correct positions. If we stay like we are, we'll just huff and puff and they'll catch us on the break.

Don't we say this every half-time away from home? And every time we come out for the second half, huff and puff and we get caught on the break. Oh the wonders of Sam Allardyce :lol:

I'm actually of the opinion we could get something from this game if we clicked and had some players in the correct positions. If we stay like we are, we'll just huff and puff and they'll catch us on the break.

Don't we say this every half-time away from home? And every time we come out for the second half, huff and puff and we get caught on the break. Oh the wonders of Sam Allardyce :lol:

Yeah. :(

Yeah we are behind but we still look miles better than we have been, Oba is so low of confidence his composure in front of goal is suffering, its that utter desperation to score so he panics a bit. I think we will score though but I dunno if we can stop them from getting another.

Martins has an incredible lack of composure for a centre-forward.

A run of games at centre forward might help?

But don't hold me to that!

No, it won't.

Agree he should get a run of games there, but it'll not magically improve the fact that he has absolutely no composure.

Aye, he's no Brodie Croyle like  :razz:

The last chance Martins had he would have had to pull off a Tottenham away strike to score. It wasn't a one on one as the ball was played towards the corner flag. Newcastle haven't played bad, infact the performance has been quite good. Chelsea's goal was fortuitous, but they do look dangerous when attacking down the flanks. Martins should have scored at least one of the two clear chances he had and Duff had the chance to cross early on with his right but didn't. Faye, Cacapa, Butt and Beye (3 of Sam's signings) have all had good games. Smith has rarely been involved as has Duff and Taylor along with Milner have been average.

No, it won't.

Agree he should get a run of games there, but it'll not magically improve the fact that he has absolutely no composure.

Jay Cutler ftw.  :smitten:

can't remember seeing us play this bad for years now... boring football... in this club... even the fans are disloyal and unprofessional...

Come January, and we will be in the red zone anyway... derserve to be relegated... painful, but true...

Calm down brother, calm down ...

Where's the posession play? the team work? We have 11 individuals out there looking like their playing hide and seek. So unorganized that I'm surprised they even know the names of each other.

No subs to be made, right?

Honestly, Newcastle fans get a bad wrap. It's impossible to support a team that hasn't won the premiership since Hitler was a one nut fairy selling bad watercolors on the corners of Berlin and be impatient. If what we saw on the pitch made a lick of sense, we'd gladly wait in anticipation for the day that it clicked. But you sit and stare at N'zogbia, who could be bitten by a vampire and live for 1000 more years and still never be a LB, and Smith, who apparently has no role and no idea where he should be. Seeing things that refuse to work being used game after game after game tends to drive one mad.

can't remember seeing us play this bad for years now... boring football... in this club... even the fans are disloyal and unprofessional...

Come January, and we will be in the red zone anyway... derserve to be relegated... painful, but true...

Calm down brother, calm down ...

Where's the posession play? the team work? We have 11 individuals out there looking like their playing hide and seek. So unorganized that I'm surprised they even know the names of each other.

Posession play against Chelsea? If we try that we're likely to conceed. I don't think they have looked unorganized and the formation has prevented Chelsea from dominating the midfield.

Martins is desperately short on confidence, anyone can see that. Let's get him some chances, starting with pushing Charlie up (a radical idea I've just had) and pulling off the clown in front of him.

Or, put on one of our strikers who does have composure in front of goal...

No, it won't.

Jay Cutler ftw.  :smitten:

Jay Cutler does look the business.

That is Herm Edwards in your avatar thouhg isn't it? blueyes.gif

If N'Zogbia did get moved up, which he won't, are people advocating just swapping him with Duff?

SWP is having enough of a field day as it is, he'd murder Duff. No Enrique on the bench, either.

Martins is desperately short on confidence, anyone can see that. Let's get him some chances, starting with pushing Charlie up (a radical idea I've just had) and pulling off the clown in front of him.

Viduka will have to be introduced at some point.

Martins really does need to come off and probably spend some time in the reserves squad learning how to shoot at the goals.  He is so lacking in confidence he just seems to be terrified of being put in a position to shoot, so he fiddles and stuffs-about with the ball at his feet.

It's kind of like Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun, towards the end of the film when he wont engage the enemy.  Oba is just so scared to have a crack that he keeps looking for that perfect, training-ground shot on goal.  Guess what Oba, you won't get it against Chelsea!  I think he needs to spend several weeks in the reserves squad, where he will get more room to set up his shots, until he starts one-timing them at the goal mouth on a regular basis.  Until then we need, as slow as he might be, Viduka up forward, as he will at least take those shots.

(Mind you, I don't think I have ever seen Oba display the characteristics of a normal Striker, that is taking the first chance he gets to shoot irrespective of how much of a chance there is.  A striker's job is to shoot, nothing more, nothing less, anything else is a bonus!)

Thing is though, none of our other strikers would have even got in a position like Martins did in those two instances as it was pure pace which got him the time/space.

If N'Zogbia did get moved up, which he won't, are people advocating just swapping him with Duff?

SWP is having enough of a field day as it is, he'd murder Duff. No Enrique on the bench, either.

Put Roz at left back. Why not? :lol: