Martins

Guest K9

Don´t see the problem in the sub. There is no undroppable players. Quite tired of all the talk about Martins and Zog and what abuse they are getting through.

No one's debating the fact that there's no undroppable players in our squad with the exception of one or two players. Martins is virtually our only pacey player and I think people don't see the sense in subbing our biggest offensive threat at the time of game where he truly excels - running at tired legs and causing even more mayhem. The only one who's close to Martins in terms of pace and threat is Zog and imo if you're to bring Martins off, he is the only player who should be coming on.

Well agree with the pace but I don´t think we needed that in the game. It was better to take off him (think it was the right choice) and put in another midfielder that could protect our goal better because we had a lead and Sunderland was coming to us.

Think Duff played well (think he should get more credit) and KK was absolute spot on at the whole situation.

Martins was wasteful. Missing a 1 on 1 that needed guile not brut force. He was also selfish when he went for goal at an almost impossible angle when a pacy cross would have likely been more dangerous.

AND, he gave McShane who was without a doubt the worst player on the park about as easy a time as anyone possibly could have.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Carbon copy of Bellamy, scores the impossible but rarely hits the back of the net during one-on-ones, still worth keeping him in our ranks

He's been one-on-one in our last two games before yesterday and stuck them away taking the piss in the process. Strikers don't score every chance ffs. Wayne Rooney for example is very poor in that position, misses many more than he scores, obviously Martins' all-round play isn't as good as Rooney's but he still scares the life out of defenders.

He's been one-on-one in our last two games before yesterday and stuck them away taking the piss in the process. Strikers don't score every chance ffs.

Exactly. And to be fair Gordon did well to block it too.

Guest rebel_yell12

Martins returns to the starting line-up against Birmingham and our fortunes change, coincidence?

I think not.

Personally, much as I rate Martins, I think that the change in system had more effect than the return of any one player.  Put Martins up top in the same 4-4-2 Owen had been in (with Smith) and I think the dire results would have continued -- same with Viduka (playing Viduka-Smith.  Putting Martins on with Owen might've done some good, but not enough because of the problems in midfield.  Same with Viduka-Owen, or Viduka-Martins.  The whole change has done a world of good, in my opinion.  Yes, Martins is part of that, but he's hardly the entirety.

Honestly, wasn't impressed with Martins v. Sunderland.  He's a good player who had a less-than-impressive match.  It happens to every player but some fans seem unable to admit that good players have off matches, and poorer players sometimes have good matches (Smith v. Arsenal, anyone?).  Which frustrates me, because it makes me react negatively to Martins -- it seems he can do no wrong with some fans, which makes me reflexively point out his flaws (and I LIKE the player, generally).  For instance, on the BBC player rater, Martins was rated third highest, just .01 behind Beye who was second.  That's not an accurate reflection of his play, and on another site there were votes for Martins as MotM v. Sunderland.  Come off it, that's not right and anyone with eyes can see that (the shouts for Beye, especially, and even Butt were far more reasonable, imo).  It's not unlike the people who refused to admit that Owen played poorly v. Blackburn -- it frustrates the f*** out of people who aren't wearing blinders and makes them quicker to criticise the player, even when he doesn't deserve it.  Yes, he's a good player, but even the best have bad/weak matches. 

In this case, Martins didn't play particularly well against Sunderland (he was hardly alone for Newcastle in that).  His vision was poor, he played with his head down and the team lost a few good opportunities because of that.  His first touch wasn't great, either, and he missed a one-on-one that Owen would be slaughtered for missing (and has done, to be fair).  He still caused problems because of his pace and the fact that the defenders had to mark him because he looks a threat.  He's still a competent striker with good potential, just had a not-so-great match.  To be perfectly honest, I still struggle to fairly assess Martins' performances, because I know his ratings will be inflated by those fans who refuse to hear a word of criticism against him.  I have the inverse situation with some other players (including Carr  :kasper: when he was playing some weeks back, as I never thought he was that bad this go-round but he got slaughtered online nonetheless). 

Martins returns to the starting line-up against Birmingham and our fortunes change, coincidence?

I think not.

Personally, much as I rate Martins, I think that the change in system had more effect than the return of any one player.  Put Martins up top in the same 4-4-2 Owen had been in (with Smith) and I think the dire results would have continued -- same with Viduka (playing Viduka-Smith.  Putting Martins on with Owen might've done some good, but not enough because of the problems in midfield.  Same with Viduka-Owen, or Viduka-Martins.  The whole change has done a world of good, in my opinion.  Yes, Martins is part of that, but he's hardly the entirety.

Honestly, wasn't impressed with Martins v. Sunderland.  He's a good player who had a less-than-impressive match.  It happens to every player but some fans seem unable to admit that good players have off matches, and poorer players sometimes have good matches (Smith v. Arsenal, anyone?).  Which frustrates me, because it makes me react negatively to Martins -- it seems he can do no wrong with some fans, which makes me reflexively point out his flaws (and I LIKE the player, generally).  For instance, on the BBC player rater, Martins was rated third highest, just .01 behind Beye who was second.  That's not an accurate reflection of his play, and on another site there were votes for Martins as MotM v. Sunderland.  Come off it, that's not right and anyone with eyes can see that (the shouts for Beye, especially, and even Butt were far more reasonable, imo).  It's not unlike the people who refused to admit that Owen played poorly v. Blackburn -- it frustrates the f*** out of people who aren't wearing blinders and makes them quicker to criticise the player, even when he doesn't deserve it.  Yes, he's a good player, but even the best have bad/weak matches. 

In this case, Martins didn't play particularly well against Sunderland (he was hardly alone for Newcastle in that).  His vision was poor, he played with his head down and the team lost a few good opportunities because of that.  His first touch wasn't great, either, and he missed a one-on-one that Owen would be slaughtered for missing (and has done, to be fair).  He still caused problems because of his pace and the fact that the defenders had to mark him because he looks a threat.  He's still a competent striker with good potential, just had a not-so-great match.  To be perfectly honest, I still struggle to fairly assess Martins' performances, because I know his ratings will be inflated by those fans who refuse to hear a word of criticism against him.  I have the inverse situation with some other players (including Carr  :kasper: when he was playing some weeks back, as I never thought he was that bad this go-round but he got slaughtered online nonetheless). 

People on here thought Carr was doing just fine for a few games. Then the Villa comedy happened.

As much as the team needs pace, i dont think martins is the solution.

I very much agree with boby moncur that his game over all is just not good enough.  If he was happy to come on as a sub then hes worth keeping, but hes a nigerian and they all have huge egos; hell start whinning like an little girly if hes asked to play a subs role.

Better to sell now while his stock is high.  We can get better.

15m + martins on loan for 12months for Berbatov seems good to me.  ALso offer them 12m for lennon, we can get 9 m for le sulkyness.

18m for arashavin plz )

In a 4-3-3 formation you cannot ignore all the other work he does, he tracked back got tackles in, linked up play and 100% grafted his nutts off.

Once he could have played Owen in at the back but opted to have a dig and try to beat the keeper at his near post, as for the one on one it was a good save from Gorden.

Some things said on this forum are 100% pure wind up, or made up comments just to gain a reaction..

As much as the team needs pace, i dont think martins is the solution.

I very much agree with boby moncur that his game over all is just not good enough.  If he was happy to come on as a sub then hes worth keeping, but hes a nigerian and they all have huge egos; hell start whinning like an little girly if hes asked to play a subs role.

Better to sell now while his stock is high.  We can get better.

15m + martins on loan for 12months for Berbatov seems good to me.  ALso offer them 12m for lennon, we can get 9 m for le sulkyness.

18m for arashavin plz )

:lol: Doesn't particularly strike me as having a massive ego either.

In a 4-3-3 formation you cannot ignore all the other work he does, he tracked back got tackles in, linked up play and 100% grafted his nutts off.

Once he could have played Owen in at the back but opted to have a dig and try to beat the keeper at his near post, as for the one on one it was a good save from Gorden.

Some things said on this forum are 100% pure wind up, or made up comments just to gain a reaction..

do you really believe that was a good save? or a bad finish? martins put his head down and blasted it, didnt look up to assess where he'd be best putting it, or if there was a pass on, just blindly hit it straight at the keeper. he didnt force gordon to do anything other than come out and narrow the angle which is bog standard goal keeping, i could have done that.

hes jsut camera shy, trust me Nigerians are all famous for being arrogant.  Ask anyone from africa what they think of nigerians  !

What - like all Geordies are delusional?  All Jews are tight arsed? All Muslims are terrorists?

Get back to the gist of the thread man..

Martins didn't have his greatest game yesterday but the whole point of our system is that we have 3 top quality strikers, so if one doesn't have the greatest of games we can still win. That's what all the best teams do.

Martins has weaknesses in his game like any other player but we are more likely to win again with him that without.

Guest Sniffer

Question is whether Martin's will get any better. For the team to improve next season, Martin's has to play more consistently at a higher level. Pace isn't enough without the ability to finish for a forward and I don't see his overall game improving. We'll get a handful of spectacular goals from him but that isn't enough to lift us into a top six position.

It'll be interesting to see if KK opts for somebody else up front with a better overall game.

Question is whether Martin's will get any better. For the team to improve next season, Martin's has to play more consistently at a higher level. Pace isn't enough without the ability to finish for a forward and I don't see his overall game improving. We'll get a handful of spectacular goals from him but that isn't enough to lift us into a top six position.

It'll be interesting to see if KK opts for somebody else up front with a better overall game.

Strangest apostrophisation ever.

Martin's what? ;-)