The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

Lot of myths seems to be circulated re this appointment.

I'm not concerned he has been out of the game for 3 years, remind me how long he was out last time he came back?

Football has changed too much since the 90's - Has it, that offside rule is a bit of a bugger, but thought the rules were the same otherwise?

Keegan was defensively poor - Has somebody backed this up with fact. The year we lost the league, didn't we have the second best defensive record in the league, and pretty close to that in other seasons?

He only did it because of the money he was given - Are you sure? When he turned round the nearly relegated team in 1992 only Beresford and Venison played regularly in that squad. Bracewell was injured, and Cole/Robinson and Sellars were signed when the league was in the bag. Even in the following season when we finished 3rd, we didn't spend a lot, Beardsley and Malcolm Allen being the two main signings I think.

We need a foreign manager - Why is Keegan more of a risk than Deschamps who has not managed in this league? Houllier ruled himself out, and Mort pretty much said that some manager wouldn't come to a team outside the Champions League - i.e Mourinho, Van Gaal, Hiddink etc.

Bottom line is I think with a bit of proper support I even think the current squad is top 6 material - FFS we only need to be better than Everton/Man City/Portsmouth to get there, and even if Keegan isn't the answer, it has galvanised our questionable home support. If it doesn't work out, Keegan will no doubt admit it and not hang around for compensation and leave with his reputation intact. Funny how that is considered to be a sign of a quitter, surely it shows an honourable man, similar to Stuart Pearce, who isn't in it only for the cash?

Sorry for the defensive rant, I've got Sky on in the background and I'm getting carried away!

It really depends on what you would consider as success for Keegan this time around.

It will never be like it was the last time.  The footballing world has changed so much since then that, regardless of how good Keegan is and how much he spends, it will be almost impossible to break into the top 4 for a few seasons.  If he rebuilds the squad, rebuilds confidence, gets some pride back into the club and hands over a top 6 club in a few years to someone who can maybe take the next step, then that's successful in my book.

Being a bit more sensible, I agree with what this guy said, none of us are expecting or even hoping for the title this time, we need to break the top 6 again, and then challenge Liverpool (overated apart from Gerrard) for the Champions League spot. I have more confidence in Keegan doing that that what our realistic other options were - Redknapp, Hughes, McClaren or, sorry to say, Shearer.

I'm not concerned he has been out of the game for 3 years, remind me how long he was out last time he came back?

Football has changed too much since the 90's - Has it, that offside rule is a bit of a bugger, but thought the rules were the same otherwise?

Keegan was defensively poor - Has somebody backed this up with fact. The year we lost the league, didn't we have the second best defensive record in the league, and pretty close to that in other seasons?

He only did it because of the money he was given - Are you sure? When he turned round the nearly relegated team in 1992 only Beresford and Venison played regularly in that squad. Bracewell was injured, and Cole/Robinson and Sellars were signed when the league was in the bag. Even in the following season when we finished 3rd, we didn't spend a lot, Beardsley and Malcolm Allen being the two main signings I think.

We need a foreign manager - Why is Keegan more of a risk than Deschamps who has not managed in this league? Houllier ruled himself out, and Mort pretty much said that some manager wouldn't come to a team outside the Champions League - i.e Mourinho, Van Gaal, Hiddink etc.

Bottom line is I think with a bit of proper support I even think the current squad is top 6 material - FFS we only need to be better than Everton/Man City/Portsmouth to get there, and even if Keegan isn't the answer, it has galvanised our questionable home support. If it doesn't work out, Keegan will no doubt admit it and not hang around for compensation and leave with his reputation intact. Funny how that is considered to be a sign of a quitter, surely it shows an honourable man, similar to Stuart Pearce, who isn't in it only for the cash?

Sorry for the defensive rant, I've got Sky on in the background and I'm getting carried away!

Superb post.

Superb post.

Guest elbee909

I find this sort of post a lot more encouraging thatn the 'SUPPORT THE TEAM' wankers.  Thanks for cheering me up a bit.  It's a tough job, doing that. :)

It just narks me a bit that the man is generally considered, outside of Newcastle, a failure as a manager. Even now the only footage Sky are playing is the Fergie rant and the footage from Liverpool's 4th goal in That Game. Didn't we play a few other decent games in that 5 year period. It seems a lot of people are too easily influenced by media columnists etc. these days.

I hold my hands up and say that he didn't achieve at England, but who has? Only Robson in recent memory is generally considered a success (although personally I thought Sven wasn't that bad to be honest).

More chance of getting Tony Blair back as Prime Minister, tbh.

:iamatwat: :iamatwat: ;D :celb:

Oh Jesus fucking Christ. So that basically means Blair is coming back too. :(

Couldn't give a shit either way tbh.

Thank You for making the evening even better  :)

Anyone a bit worried that his heart might not be totally in it?

When I saw him on SSN in his tracksuit I wondered if he was bothered at all. Looked tired.

However, he must have done some pretty good convincing to Ashley and Mort to be given the job iyam.

Will never forget the joy he brought to me both as a player and manager ,heartache and above all it was a privilage to watch the most enjoyable football in my long love affair with the toon .This appointment is a financial masterstroke and right for our current plight and will bring the feel good factor back as has been proven by tonights attendance ,will kk be a success who knows but i tell you one thing imho he will get every player giving 100% and making average players believe they are better than they are as he is such a motivater .hopefully he can get some great players in and start challenging for honours and hope he proves all the doubters wrong .so looking forward to the bolton game and the rollercoaster to follow .

COME ON KING KEV GIVE US BACK OUR PRIDE  :celb: :smitten: :clap2: :love7: :dance: :drink:

It just narks me a bit that the man is generally considered, outside of Newcastle, a failure as a manager. Even now the only footage Sky are playing is the Fergie rant and the footage from Liverpool's 4th goal in That Game. Didn't we play a few other decent games in that 5 year period. It seems a lot of people are too easily influenced by media columnists etc. these days.

I hold my hands up and say that he didn't achieve at England, but who has? Only Robson in recent memory is generally considered a success (although personally I thought Sven wasn't that bad to be honest).

I don't think he is seen outside Newcastle as a failure.

I think the general perception of outsiders is that it is a decision made out of emotion rather than cold, hard pragmatism, which is what you look like you've needed for a while.

Look at the response from a lot of people on this site, and on the pictures of SSN, it has clearly struck a resonant chord, but outsiders (well, the ones I know) see it as similar to the parading of the trophy signings - distracting from the real problems by getting a short term lift.

To be honest, I don't think the fact he has been out of the game for a while will have that big an effect - the game has changed, but not that much.

I like Keegan, he's an honest bloke, he's also a pretty popular bloke - he managed to survive failing with England AND remain popular, which is some achievement.

I hope it works out for you, but when the dust settles from this evening and his first few games back, will it look like the clever appointment? I guess his results will decide that.

Guest elbee909

Anyone a bit worried about Howard Kendal Syndrome?

I'm always worried when someone adds a strange word to their name like that.

I hope the Mackems get used to going down syndrome. 

Anyone a bit worried that his heart might not be totally in it?

When I saw him on SSN in his tracksuit I wondered if he was bothered at all. Looked tired.

However, he must have done some pretty good convincing to Ashley and Mort to be given the job iyam.

Agreed. This is why I'm desperate to hear what he say to say though, just want undeniable evidence that he's up for this. We all know how passionate he can get in front of the cameras, another showing of that and I'm happy.

What did people want before KK re-signed? Not what specific manager, but WHAT did they want?

I wanted a manager who would take us back to the top 6, get rid of the deadwood, not pretend the shite players we have are good enough, rebuild our youth setup, and build, from that top 6, to a push on the top 4. I wanted to be top 6/7 and the end of next season.

Do we REALLY think Keegan can do that, nowadays?

Genuine Questions:

1) Why did he leave his last 4 jobs?

2) Has the pressure/expectation LESSENED since he couldn't hack it last time?

3) Does he have a history of buiding youth setups?

4) Has he changed as a person?

I hope to fuck he does well, becasue we desperately need to get back to the UEFA spots. But, hand on heart, I don't have a great feeling about it.

Not like Roeder/Souness/Allardyce, who i KNEW in my heart weren't right. I love Keegan, and want desperately for him to take us away from mid table mediocrity. But I don't know if he can.

I think we are in serious danger of putting on our black and white tinted glasses, and pretend we're a big club, and pretend we've signed the best manager for us, who is BOUND to get us to where we want to be. I wish it were true, but i don't think it is. Passion doe snot equal the right man, else half of US would be great for the job.

Hopefully i'll be wrong, and obviously, he deserves all of the support any decent new manager shoudl get. As long as he gets rid of fucking Smith. :lol:

Guest elbee909

Would be funny if Keegan has sat down.  Turns to Ashley.

"So what's this then, eh lads?  What's that, the round thing?  And those white bars and posts at each end of the big green bit of... is it grass?  Cor."

Guest elbee909

Keegan has made Ashley half a million tonight on ticket sales 25000x£20

That's before you tally up how much Ashley got people to put on Keegan at the bookies for him.