Fat Sam and his Fat Head

Greg

Guest Ridzuan

I had just woke up and this news is completely shocking.I didnt expect it at all.F**k me.And I honestly think it was the wrong decision,but Im not saying I didnt say it coming.In a way,I feel bad for Big Sam because I dont think he saw it coming either.I thought we going to stick with him at least for the rest of the season but apparently that hasnt been the case.Anyway,Big Sam is gone,lets move on and get Mr Mourinho please.No Redknapp!

I'm pretty disappointed about this. I just feel like the media have been dying for this to happen, much more so than the fans, so the whole country can point and laugh while we look like a shambles. I think the timing is a joke too, it means the transfer window is a write off unless someone comes in quickly. I think it's all much too hasty, who honestly thought that Big Sam could turn us into top half / European contenders in his first season? Not me for sure. It was always going to take time surely.....gahhhh! Feeling pessimistic and frustrated but I know I'm not the only one!

Since I’m on a night shift, bored at work I thought I’d have my say, so…

I’ve had a while to dwell on this now and I still think its fucking pathetic that he's been sacked. I genuinely think that given time he would have been the right man for the job.

Looking at the alternative managers potentially available to us (especially if it supposed to be a British manager), I can’t say I’d be happy with many of them if they were to be appointed.

Moyes – has had years at Everton and if I remember correctly they nearly got relegated under him. He will not get the time he has had at Everton with us.

Hughes – Same as Moyes, has had years at Blackburn, they are improving each season but to be honest they still aren’t anything special.

McClaren – Has absolutely nothing to offer as a top manager in my opinion.

Redknapp – Granted, he will likely bring in some decent players but he is a similar manager to Allardyce at the end of the day.

Martin O’Neill – Wouldn’t be a bad replacement but would again need time.

For the people wanting Mourinho. He would obviously be a very good appointment, and while the results would probably be right, they would likely be boring, ground out results. Would the fans put up with this? If anyone would be likely to get away with that style of play it would be him, if the results were right. Also, would he even come? I’d be surprised. To be honest, with the state of the club, why would anyone in their right mind come? The expectation is through the roof and the patience is ridiculously thin.

Going by the managers listed above, (excluding Mourinho), all of the managers available are at best a sideways step from Allardyce. Looking abroad in my opinion is the only way a manager is going to be given time to succeed.

Also, unless the board have someone lined up to come in straight away the transfer windows is pretty much wasted at a time when we really do need to sign a few players and make improvements.

I think that it’s likely that a major reason behind his sacking is the fans. Granted Allardyce really hasn’t helped himself with his team selection, tactics, and the actual performances being turned in by the players but I don’t think that this alone would have been enough considering when you look at the grand scheme of things we are still sitting mid table in what has to be considered a transition season. The fans have been almost stupidly impatient considering we haven’t won anything for years and the hostility towards the manager and the players is almost a joke. It seems quite clear that Ashley wants to please the fans and just could not see Allardyce turning the fans in his favour.

Chances are though; no manager is really going to be able to take the club anywhere until Shearer has had his go.

On the plus side though, all ties to pre Mort/Ashley have now pretty much been severed so this means we will now see what their real intentions, plans and ideas for the club are.

Since I’m on a night shift, bored at work I thought I’d have my say, so…

I’ve had a while to dwell on this now and I still think its f****** pathetic that he's been sacked. I genuinely think that given time he would have been the right man for the job.

Looking at the alternative managers potentially available to us (especially if it supposed to be a British manager), I can’t say I’d be happy with many of them if they were to be appointed.

Moyes – has had years at Everton and if I remember correctly they nearly got relegated under him. He will not get the time he has had at Everton with us.

Hughes – Same as Moyes, has had years at Blackburn, they are improving each season but to be honest they still aren’t anything special.

McClaren – Has absolutely nothing to offer as a top manager in my opinion.

Redknapp – Granted, he will likely bring in some decent players but he is a similar manager to Allardyce at the end of the day.

Martin O’Neill – Wouldn’t be a bad replacement but would again need time.

For the people wanting Mourinho. He would obviously be a very good appointment, and while the results would probably be right, they would likely be boring, ground out results. Would the fans put up with this? If anyone would be likely to get away with that style of play it would be him, if the results were right. Also, would he even come? I’d be surprised. To be honest, with the state of the club, why would anyone in their right mind come? The expectation is through the roof and the patience is ridiculously thin.

Going by the managers listed above, (excluding Mourinho), all of the managers available are at best a sideways step from Allardyce. Looking abroad in my opinion is the only way a manager is going to be given time to succeed.

Also, unless the board have someone lined up to come in straight away the transfer windows is pretty much wasted at a time when we really do need to sign a few players and make improvements.

I think that it’s likely that a major reason behind his sacking is the fans. Granted Allardyce really hasn’t helped himself with his team selection, tactics, and the actual performances being turned in by the players but I don’t think that this alone would have been enough considering when you look at the grand scheme of things we are still sitting mid table in what has to be considered a transition season. The fans have been almost stupidly impatient considering we haven’t won anything for years and the hostility towards the manager and the players is almost a joke. It seems quite clear that Ashley wants to please the fans and just could not see Allardyce turning the fans in his favour.

Chances are though; no manager is really going to be able to take the club anywhere until Shearer has had his go.

On the plus side though, all ties to pre Mort/Ashley have now pretty much been severed so this means we will now see what their real intentions, plans and ideas for the club are.

Pretty much sums things up for me

Wheres Coach HTT would be interesting to hear his view of things. Thought he was being overly pessimistic with his posts a few days ago but he has been proven right when he thought Sam would not last.

Also hope for once Oliver is correct in his big name blow your socks off manager who wants to manage us otherwise we are heading into groundhog day territory.

if they have a replacement lined up, ok (hope its not mclaren) then i can understand... if not, fuck that!

my personal hope is jurgen klinnsmann! personal favourite as both manager and player in his prime :)

Something must be going on in the background, as Monday would have been the obvious time to get rid of Fat Sam results-wise. Maybes they got into contact with this 'top manager' last week, Stoke result wasn't great and talks have got more advanced to the stage where the new guy is as good as signed.

I'm really confident somebody big is coming in, and fancy it to be Mourinho. Be a dream like.

(Not pickng on you, but it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.)

FFS, for the LAST time:

We'd all love it to be true, but Mourinho is not allowed to manage in the Premiership until next season.

Part of the terms of him leaving Chelsea, IIRC. So can we all please stop with jerking off over pictures of the special one just because he's out of work and we need a manager?

If it's impossible, then get yourself some free money laying him at Betfair.

Guest clownhat

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2691/olivershitemf8md4ya5.jpg

I wish and pray this is true when I sleep tonight to make this thing a reality. Mourniho would be awesome I can not help but think about him.

fingers crosseded

ok let's reward McClaren for not being able to take England to the Euros.. Bulls***!

The only British I might welcome would be Keagan!! The rest who are available arent any better than Allardyce. Well, probably they are but not they arent the type of managers NUFC should have!!

I do not think that Mourinho will have the guts!

KLINSMANN is the perfect candidate!

If we cant persuade him, we should go for Deschamps, another internationally proven/energetic/high-profile manager!

He knows the British game as well.

Guest bluegeordie

I think I must be in shock, because for some strange reason, all this reminds me of a scene from (a typically low brow) Chevy Chase film entitled Fletch, where he's impersonating a doctor (Dr Rosenpenis) and trying to fake his way through a conversation with a "colleague":

Real Doctor: "You know, it was a shame about Ed [for Ed, read Big Sam]."

Fletch / Dr Rosenpenis: "Oh it was. Yeah, it was really a shame - to go so suddenly like that."

Real Doctor: "He was dieing for years."

Fletch / Dr Rosenpenis: "Sure, but the end was very, very sudden."

Real Doctor: "He was in intensive care for 8 weeks."

Fletch / Dr Rosenpenis: "Yeah, but I mean the very end - when he actually died - that was extremely sudden."

What I mean is that even though we've been playing like a shower of shite for virtually the entire season, and even though it would appear that (as Blackadder might say) there are amoeba on Saturn who have more tactical nous than Big Sam, I still can't quite believe he's gone, and his exit somehow feels remarkably sudden.

Now, I've got to fess up here. Up to this point, I've officially supported (in votes and posts) Big Sam continuing until at least the end of the season, unless relegation became a serious possibility. However, if I'm completely honest, a part of me feels a sense of relief that Ashley and Mort have had the guts to follow the old adage "if you're in a hole, stop digging". In other words, it would seem that they've taken a long, hard look at Sam's performance thus far, and have reached the only real conclusion that the on-field evidence suggests, and that is that he was simply not up to the job. On that basis, they've decided to act, even though it's likely to be interpreted by many as yet another premature execution of a Newcastle manager. 

From here on in, the only things that will determine whether Ashley and Mort are seen to have acted wisely is who they appoint next, and how he performs. If these two things go well, then sacking Sam will appear like a wise decision (even if it might have been a kneejerk reaction), and if they go wrong, then sacking Sam will be viewed as nothing more than a kneejerk reaction (even though it might have been wise, on the basis of the evidence in front of them).

Whatever happens from here on in, we're in for a frightening but exciting time. Typical Newcastle United ... only hopefully it will have a happy ending this time around.

As for Shearer, the heart whispers "yes", but the head screams "no" ... and I can't honestly see how it could be any other way.       

So, who do I want to replace Big Sam? Well, isn't Hitzfeld supposed to be leaving Bayern at season's end, so why not now? And aren't Ashley and Mort supposed to take the fans' voice seriously? But that's for another thread ...

RIP Sam       

shocked as most people and i hope for mourinho or someone of his ilk,listening to speculation on the radio with knob jockeys like ronnie irani spouting shite like "the fans want Harry redknap or alan shearer to manage them " . who the fuck does he think he is speculating on who WE want ,shouldnt be allowed near a microphone commenting on a subject he knows fuck all about and the laugh a minute crap will just keep on coming from others like him . :tool: :hunter:

Guest The Libertine

We're a joke man.

:thup: a genuine laughing stock once more.

here we go a-fucking-gain. if the next manager hasnt completely revolutionized the whole club and won trophies in his first half season, i'll be calling for his head. i doubt i'll be alone in this.

Guest trotter58

shocked as most people and i hope for mourinho or someone of his ilk,listening to speculation on the radio with knob jockeys like ronnie irani spouting s**** like "the fans want Harry redknap or alan shearer to manage them " . who the f*** does he think he is speculating on who WE want ,shouldnt be allowed near a microphone commenting on a subject he knows f*** all about and the laugh a minute crap will just keep on coming from others like him . :tool: :hunter:

Ronnie Irani is a massive w*nker! Thank f*ck he's taken to calling himself an 'Essex boy'. We disowned the tosser years ago when he claimed to support both Bolton AND Man Utd! That's a bit like saying you support both Newcastle and Sunderland!

Ultimately, if Mort/Ashley had no confidence in Allardyce it was best to get rid ASAP and bring in their own man rather than waste another season. If we can get the right man in, I think this is actually a good time to replace a manager. This season's a write-off, anyway, so the new man won't be judged at all this season. Essentially, he gets ~16 matches to learn about the team and club plus a whole summer to do work.