Mark Hughes

James

The fear on Tyneside is that Redknapp, now 60 and never having managed north of London, may be reluctant to leave his luxury Dorset home to try to breathe new life into Newcastle, even if offered a multimillion-pound salary.

Aye, fucking terrifies me the prospect of that!

Guest michaelfoster

Hughes - no contact from NUFC and doesnt expect any contact - just on SSN.

So Hughes basically ruled himself out then

determined to hire a coach who, like Redknapp and Hughes, believes in attractive, passing football.

All of these stories are so made up, they blatently know as much as us. But this last line, is the worst, its in every report that they want a manager who believes in attractive football. Nowt about winning trophies, nowt about actually speaking to Mort or Ashley, just believing thats all nufc fans want. Really pisses me off.

If Mourinho comes in and we win all our home games 1-0, and win half of our away games, not many will be complaining when we are in the Champions League, or competiting for trophies.

I would love to see  a 'Big Name' come in, but the question has to be, how and when did they become 'Big Names'? They weren't born that way. If the new appointment comes from a 'smaller' club or even from the lower leagues, there's nothing to say he won't be a success. Conversley it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone like José or Lippi would come here and die on their arse.

Right man, right job, right time. That is what we need, there are no guarantees. The new man, whoever he is, must come into the club with everyone pulling in the same direction, if half of us are whining on that he hasn't won the Champions League and the World Cup then we will have failed before he even starts.

Sums the position up perfectly.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Me thinks this is looking more likely

MODS: Could you put a poll up. Would we be happy with Hughes

Up and coming manager done well at 2 jobs

I'd give him a chance

People are ignoring the facts.

Tonight he said that he wasn't going to comment on speculation, was just going to get on managing Blackburn and on Friday there was the whole "No contact, I don't think there will be contact. I'm happy where I am" speech.

I don't think he's going to be the next manager.

People are ignoring the facts.

Tonight he said that he wasn't going to comment on speculation, was just going to get on managing Blackburn and on Friday there was the whole "No contact, I don't think there will be contact. I'm happy where I am" speech.

I don't think he's going to be the next manager.

Nor me.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Ferguson was to walk away at the end of the season would Hughes be high on the list?

Yes

(I know its a bit sad to answer your own Q but thought id give my 2 penneths!)

I think Hughes is one of a number of managers that could do a good job for us.

What worries me is that so many people seem to have their hearts set on a Mourinho-type big name that anyone of Hughes's standing is going to start off at a big disadvantage. The minute anything goes wrong, everyone will be on his back.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Hughes is one of a number of managers that could do a good job for us.

What worries me is that so many people seem to have their hearts set on a Mourinho-type big name that anyone of Hughes's standing is going to start off at a big disadvantage. The minute anything goes wrong, everyone will be on his back.

I think ots a bit different with Hughes. He is inspirational, and plays decent football. He has done fantastically well to hang onto MGP over the last few years

Interesting opinion piece on f365, show's reasons for and against. My biggest reason against would be that if he was successful there's every chance he would leave us for the Mancs, which would hack me off no end.

Mark Hughes

Pressed on whether he was interested in filling the managerial vacancy at St James' Park, Hughes' non-denial denial on Sky Sports before Blackburn Rovers' victory at Bolton said everything.

Swapping the steady stability of Blackburn for the irrational instability of Newcastle United would constitute a gamble but it is one that Hughes must take if he is to fulfil his ultimate ambition in management.

The 'push' in any decision to leave Blackburn would be the understandable conclusion that he has taken the club as far as he can. The last two months have been disillusioning with a sudden slump occurring immediately after the Welshman declared a top-four finish was "realistic". With an average attendance of just 23,000, Blackburn are punching above their weight even in mid-table.

Newcastle's most attractive attribute is that they are at rock bottom. The only way is up - especially now that billionaire Mike Ashley has pledged to provide the finances to instigate a meaningful revival. And it is only by proving that he can spend substantial funds wisely - something he will never have the opportunity to do at Ewood Park unless Jack Walker is reincarnated - that Hughes can state his case for succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Moving from Blackburn into the Old Trafford hotseat would be a mammoth leap that the club's plc hierarchy is unlikely to sanction. Newcastle, on the other hand, with its 'big club status' and 50,000 gates, represents a natural stepping-stone in Hughes' career path towards his desired destination.

The risk for Hughes would be to not accept the opportunity because - with Martin O'Neill and David Moyes settled at Aston Villa and Everton respectively, and Juande Ramos and Sven-Goran Eriksson settling in at Tottenham and Manchester City - few other comparative stepping-stones are likely to become available in the near future.

In that sense, staying at Blackburn would be stepping backwards.