The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redknapp = Hughes = Allardyce.

Seems an awfully abrupt decision to make if we're just going to appoint another guy who's done nothing special over the others.

And I'd be gutted.

Precisely, Dave. Save our £100m* from Allardyce just to give it to Redknapp? Gerraway.

*obviously, before someone pedantic sillybilly picks up on it, i'm just using that figure hypothetically...

Id trust Harry to make better more attacking signings than Allardyce to be honest. I think he'd be able to implement those signings better as well.

I dont know why, but Harry reminds me of Keegan.

I said last night that, to me, Redknapp seems one of the most ludicrous suggestions possible. He'd have to be going senile to walk away from Pompey and take this job.

it's the kind of move and ambitious young manager would make, going from a small club to a big team with huge potential. but i'm not sure redknapp is that kind of manager, he's a few years off retirement, loves the area, is settled, has everything he wants in terms of backing, money, support from the stands and job security and has built a good team. if he was ten years younger i could see it, just depends how tempted he is with the chance to make a name for himself rather than just comfortably seeing out his career.

I said last night that, to me, Redknapp seems one of the most ludicrous suggestions possible. He'd have to be going senile to walk away from Pompey and take this job.

it's the kind of move and ambitious young manager would make, going from a small club to a big team with huge potential. but i'm not sure redknapp is that kind of manager, he's a few years off retirement, loves the area, is settled, has everything he wants in terms of backing, money, support from the stands and job security and has built a good team. if he was ten years younger i could see it, just depends how tempted he is with the chance to make a name for himself rather than just comfortably seeing out his career.

He'll be retiring in 3/4 years...Can't see it.

You dont hink there styles of football are similar but until recently Harry didnt have anywhere near the saem backing Keegan had, both have an all out attack sort of mentality.

I dont know, i know that Harry isnt the best candidate out there, he wouldnt be my choice inthe slightest, but i think he could be capable of bringing some much needed good time at nufc.

There arent that many attacking minded managers out there who would inspire me, all the better ones seem defensive minded to me.

It's only this season that Redknapp has become this cavalier manager, Keegan-esque in his approach. Last season it was all built on defensive stability and clean sheets - they scored one goal more than Boro and two less than Bolton.

Not saying it's a bad thing but some people have short memories. Since when has Harry sodding Redknapp been Arsene Wenger ffs?

It's only this season that Redknapp has become this cavalier manager, Keegan-esque in his approach. Last season it was all built on defensive stability and clean sheets - they scored one goal more than Boro and two less than Bolton.

Not saying it's a bad thing but some people have short memories. Since when has Harry sodding Redknapp been Arsene Wenger ffs?

I don't think he's a bad manager, but it's all a bit flavour-of-the-month IMO.

Exactly. You'll need to be just as patient with Redknapp to allow him to build a proper side. It wont happen in the first season.

Well said.

Not at all and absolutely. Just like Hughes. Three or four months flirting with the top six and they're suddenly significantly better than Allardyce? Nada.

Can you imagine a Keegan side going five or six home games without scoring btw? :lol:

I thought MON was flavour of the month? Redknapp was flavour of the month around October time.

Forgot about the Southampton debacle? 

Hardly comparable.

was always pretty attacking at west ham and had a good number of flair players even tho it didnt always translate into a bucketload of goals.

i actually think his pompey side is more conservative than his west ham team, pompey play an aggressive, fast, physical game that is excellent for counter-attacking. they don't have a great deal of flair or invention in the side tho, other than krancjar or kanu who are both inconsistent, so when at home against teams who line up to defend they struggle to break teams down.  pompey are like a better version of a sam allardyce team so it would be ironic if we appointed him.

I have a lot of time for Harry Redknapp. Think a character like him is good for football. However, I wouldn't want him sat at the SJP dugout unless he is managing another team playing their away game.

Regardless of his abilities as a manager, he would be the wrong appointment at the wrong time. Totally wrong imo

Hardly comparable.

Wha?  He said he regretted leaving Pompey and don't you think it was mighty stupid of him to switch clubs like that?  You said it seems ludicrous, which it isn't, him coming here.  It's football mate, you can't rule anything out.

Hardly comparable.

Wha?  He said he regretted leaving Pompey and don't you think it was mighty stupid of him to switch clubs like that?  You said it seems ludicrous, which it isn't in him coming here.  It's football mate, you can't rule anything out.

Might he have learnt from that though?

Hardly comparable.

Wha?  He said he regretted leaving Pompey and don't you think it was mighty stupid of him to switch clubs like that?  You said it seems ludicrous, which it isn't in him coming here.  It's football mate, you can't rule anything out.

He was in turmoil in the months before leaving Pompey and constantly arguing with the chairman over that Croatian bloke. If he hadn't gone to Southampton, he'd probably have ended up leaving anyway.

Now he's got a new chairman, good team, new stadium on the way, plenty of cash and he's in his comfort zone - plus he'll have the advantage of looking on it with an attitude of "once bitten, twice shy."

He'd have to be MENTAL. If it's Redknapp, I'm off down Fenwick's.

Of all the British names mentioned, only Moyes and Redknapp have managed top 5 Premier League finishes.

didnt know Redkanpp has

The simple fact is no english manager is better than Sam and would be totally pointless appointing one