The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest elbee909

Look forward to you Jamie waxing lyrical about how brilliant the toon are every time he is on sky.

he might be able to get Lampard to sign for us

Yeah, like Glenn Roeder was meant to.

Very disappointing.

However, if Ashley just doesn't trust Sam with money and he wants to plow some into the team then he's entitled to bring his own man in tbh. I don't neccesarily believe it's a step forward at all, but it's not like we're ditching some world class manager for someone who doesn't know what they're doing at all. Hard to call which one of them is the better boss to be quite honest, not sure why everyone is so hysterical, even if the appointment seems a let-down.

If Mike Ashley is happy to finance some big money signings that will improve our team, then he's entitled to get someone he trusts to do it in.

Exactly what I've been saying. Harry with loads of money will be better than Sam without much. Can't believe the state some people are getting themselves worked up into.

Och who knows. He might be alright.

I still can't quite believe we're going to have to regard Harry Redknapp as our manager. Harry Redknapp manager of Newcastle? Just... what?

If someone told me on Tuesday that Redknapp would be our manager on Friday, i really would have had a heart failure.

Shouldn't that be:  Arry Redknapp Manager of Noo-karsel ?

Won't believe till I see the press release.  And even then I won't believe it till he's sacked.

Haven't read the thread. Who are the mofo ITK's?

Someone(s) of Skunkers.

I can't belive this can be true. If it is Ashley clearly hasn't thought through the Sammy Dice sacking and this is him just panicking and phoning his mates with blank cheque books. Dissapointing if true.

On the contrary, I reckon this has been the plan all along, just a case of picking the right moment.  Personally, assuming it does happen, I think Newcastle could be starting on their most successful spell since Keegan's days........... and Keegan only got close to winning things.  With money available I think Redknapp is a winner.

Give me an idea what you're basing this on? I'm not arguing I just want to see what you think.

Basically, wherever he has managed he has been a success to varying degrees.  I exclude Southampton from that because half the board didn't want him because of his Pompey connections.  I think there are very few managers about who are shrewder in the transfer market, I think his success is knowing exactly what he wants and having the contacts with the agents who can deliver that type of player irrespective of whether he has seen them play or not.

He is also a good man motivator.  Defoe says privately Redknapp is the best he's played for, Carrick says he is up there with Fergie.  Whether you can agree with those players comments (personally I don't) is academic, it's what the players think and Redknapp's ability to get his players to perform up to and above what could be expected.

The last two reasons are interlinked.  Redknapp wherever he's been has always had to wheel and deal, usually pretty successfully, but he's never been able to have a real go of competing with the Big 4.  With Ashley and Newcastle I can see that changing..  More importantly, being 'in' with Ashley should mean that if he wants to get someone, he'll get the money.  It could make Mort's job a lot harder, knowing that Redknapp is thick with the owner.

At first glance I can understand why people could be underwhelmed by him, but has he really done anything very much wrong earlier in his career.  Apart from agreeing to go to Southampton, I think he's been pretty sound throughout.

Very disappointing.

However, if Ashley just doesn't trust Sam with money and he wants to plow some into the team then he's entitled to bring his own man in tbh. I don't neccesarily believe it's a step forward at all, but it's not like we're ditching some world class manager for someone who doesn't know what they're doing at all. Hard to call which one of them is the better boss to be quite honest, not sure why everyone is so hysterical, even if the appointment seems a let-down.

If Mike Ashley is happy to finance some big money signings that will improve our team, then he's entitled to get someone he trusts to do it in.

Exactly what I've been saying. Harry with loads of money will be better than Sam without much. Can't believe the state some people are getting themselves worked up into.

I can, and it's overly entertaining.  If I was Harry, I'd stay put, but we all know what he's done in the past. 

Papers:

The Sun

£20m transfer kitty.

Return flights in Ashley's jet.

Can go for Chimbonda. ???

£3m compo for Pompey.

Express

£20m transfer kitty.

Fans still call for Shearer. ???

Mirror

Private plane story.

Hughes gets cold shoulder.

Star

£4m wages.

Plane story.

£30m transfer kitty.

Only the Times didn't carry the story.

Very disappointing.

I can, and it's overly entertaining.  If I was Harry, I'd stay put, but we all know what he's done in the past. 

:lol:

CoachHTT and Y-G are clear tears before bedtime candidates.

Papers:

The Sun

£20m transfer kitty.

£3m compo for Pompey.

Express

£20m transfer kitty.

Mirror

Private plane story.

Star

£4m wages.

Plane story.

£30m transfer kitty.

To be fair I remember the same about O'Neil

Papers:

The Sun

£20m transfer kitty.

£3m compo for Pompey.

Express

£20m transfer kitty.

Mirror

Private plane story.

Star

£4m wages.

Plane story.

£30m transfer kitty.

Reputable rags, though.  ;) 

Papers:

The Sun

£20m transfer kitty.

£3m compo for Pompey.

Express

£20m transfer kitty.

Mirror

Private plane story.

Star

£4m wages.

Plane story.

£30m transfer kitty.

Not one of those papers is notable for printing the truth when it comes to football