The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The more I think about this, the more I'm coming around to it.

blueyes.gif

blueyes.gif

not what i wanted at all and while the justification for his appointment should be doubted there are some positives to having redknapp.

Like the positives that people saw when we appointed Allaryce? Better organisation of the team, better backroom staff, better fitness, yadda this yadda that.

No thanks, Harry, you're just like Allardyce/Hughes/Moyes etc.. so stay away.

The funny thing is a lot of the people having a bit of a breakdown are the same ones who were willing to give Allardyce a lot of time.

Erm, well exactly. Why cut short Allardyce's time then go sideways?

I'm not having a breakdown btw. ;)

The funny thing is a lot of the people having a bit of a breakdown are the same ones who were willing to give Allardyce a lot of time.

a lot of time? or just some time?

can you tell me what harry has achieved taht sam didnt? as far as i can see he did a less impressive job with a bigger kitty.

happy to be proved otherwise if you can though, i'll take anything atm

I think the mass negative reaction is a backlash from peoples own expectations being dashed. They thought we were going to hire a Lippi or a Mourinho because surely this guy Ashley is going to want the best.

But when have Newcastle EVER signed a top drawer manager? Never. (Robson had been a top drawer but was in the twilight of his career when he arrived. Everyone knew that was a temporary shift from day one.)

Now I don't know if Ashley ever even considered one of these Lippi types or at least discovered it was a non-starter. Maybe he just took advice from his mate Kelmsley. But if 'Arry is the next boss and he's given money to spend he'll get us into Europe faster than Sam would have.

Given his age, Old 'arry might be thinking of jacking it all in 3 or 4 years from now, and, if we're in Europe regularly when that happens then maybe that elusive top drawer manager will finally become a reality.

He gets my backing from day one if we start attacking again, may not have been my first choice, or even second or third, but he certainly was very far from last choice.

Guest neesy111

He spent 30m in the summer and they're only a few points ahead of us.

That's me won over.

Barring the £6m on Nugent, the rest has been very well spent. (£7m Muntari, £7m Utaka, £2m Diop, £3m Johnson, Distin Free...) He only spent £3m more than Allardyce, and before we get the "ooh, but the net spend blah blah", he didn't have big saleable assets to sell in the first place in the way we could get in £12m from Parker & Dyer.

and at least redknapp cottoned on to the fact that nugent was s**** very early on, allardyce meanwhile thinks smith is captain material after half a season of s****. i'm far happier with redknapp getting a warchest than i would be about allardyce getting the same.

Exactly.

And whoever said D'Alessandro before, could see that happening now.

if he can get d'alessandro for pompey i'd expect to see him buy even better for us. muntari was an absolute coup for them considering the clubs that were sniffing round him, man utd, juventus, milan and so on and i could see us signing players on that calibre on a regular basis if he comes.

This is the biggest thing for me!

Portsmouth have great fans and all that and I thing they're an alright club, but seriously how the heck did he get some of those guys to agree to sign there?

The potential players we could bring in now is almost too exciting to comprehend, especially as he will be backed and he will be told to make us an exciting team.

Honestly this really could be something ...

easy brown paper bags to their agents

blueyes.gif

blueyes.gif

not what i wanted at all and while the justification for his appointment should be doubted there are some positives to having redknapp.

Like the positives that people saw when we appointed Allaryce? Better organisation of the team, better backroom staff, better fitness, yadda this yadda that.

dont see anything wrong with the positives people saw in allardyce, imo they're entirely valid. but he also came with some other qualities that people didn't exactly appreciate, or elements that we didn't know about until we'd had to live with him and his football for months on end. i was pretty supportive of allardyce based on the limited stuff i knew about his record at bolton and he suited our need for a period of fiscal conservatism, along with how much our club needed to be sorted out behind the scenes. but when ashley came in the situation changed and as his flaws became more prominent he lost my support.

at the moment, if it is redknapp, he'll have my backing initially. he is a decent manager, far better than souness or roeder, and about the same level of effectiveness as allardyce and there are some definite strengths he possesses. i'm upset about the manner of allardyce's departure and the fact we've gone through all this fuss and upheavel to appoint a manager who is little if any improvement but that is an issue to take up with the mort and ashley who i'm disappointed in. redknapp himself isn't responsible for that tho so until he starts messing up he has my support.

You see what's happening in this thread is classic displacement thinking from the likes of Kaka (not you personally) and others.

Which is 'we're not over the moon about Redknapp but hey he might get to buy some players we like'...

Seriously what is the fucking point?

That's me won over.

Barring the £6m on Nugent, the rest has been very well spent. (£7m Muntari, £7m Utaka, £2m Diop, £3m Johnson, Distin Free...) He only spent £3m more than Allardyce, and before we get the "ooh, but the net spend blah blah", he didn't have big saleable assets to sell in the first place in the way we could get in £12m from Parker & Dyer.

and at least redknapp cottoned on to the fact that nugent was shite very early on, allardyce meanwhile thinks smith is captain material after half a season of shite. i'm far happier with redknapp getting a warchest than i would be about allardyce getting the same.

Nice to see you warming to the idea, Johnny. O0

What do you think Baggio about the whole thing?

I'm quite happy about it, like everyone else I'd have preferred someone like Mourinho but I knew realistically it wasn't going to happen.

I think Allardyce has been a dead man walking since the takeover, they gave him a chance to show he deserved the job and I think they would have backed him if he'd done better, the football he's had us playing has been terrible though and at times it looked like he wanted the sack with some of his bizarre decisions.

I'm optimistic not just because we've got Redknapp, but because Ashley has got his own man and I think the club will move on from here, I think Kaka made a good point about Ashley telling Redknapp to get the team playing as entertaining football as he can and I think he'll do that, with money behind him I think he can put together a team to match Sir Bobby's for entertainment.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here, his team play alot like Villa but are more physically impressive with their size and strength.

As I've said a few times tonight, I can see him proving a few people wrong on here, he'll get my support.

That's me won over.

and at least redknapp cottoned on to the fact that nugent was shite very early on, allardyce meanwhile thinks smith is captain material after half a season of shite. i'm far happier with redknapp getting a warchest than i would be about allardyce getting the same.

Nice to see you warming to the idea, Johnny. O0

What do you think Baggio about the whole thing?

I'm quite happy about it, like everyone else I'd have preferred someone like Mourinho but I knew realistically it wasn't going to happen.

I think Allardyce has been a dead man walking since the takeover, they gave him a chance to show he deserved the job and I think they would have backed him if he'd done better, the football he's had us playing has been terrible though and at times it looked like he wanted the sack with some of his bizarre decisions.

I'm optimistic not just because we've got Redknapp, but because Ashley has got his own man and I think the club will move on from here, I think Kaka made a good point about Ashley telling Redknapp to get the team playing as entertaining football as he can and I think he'll do that, with money behind him I think he can put together a team to match Sir Bobby's for entertainment.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here, his team play alot like Villa but are more physically impressive with their size and strength.

As I've said a few times tonight, I can see him proving a few people wrong on here, he'll get my support.

Good post.

I can't believe the reaction from some here, it's like it was the second coming of Roeder or Souness!

FWIW I think in a year's time you'll be thanking your lucky stars you got him.

as 'arry would say.

jog on

Guest elbee909

I can't believe the reaction from some here, it's like it was the second coming of Roeder or Souness!

FWIW I think in a year's time you'll be thanking your lucky stars you got him.

Yeah.  Swap him for your manager, would you?

blueyes.gif

blueyes.gif

dont see anything wrong with the positives people saw in allardyce, imo they're entirely valid. but he also came with some other qualities that people didn't exactly appreciate, or elements that we didn't know about until we'd had to live with him and his football for months on end. i was pretty supportive of allardyce based on the limited stuff i knew about his record at bolton and he suited our need for a period of fiscal conservatism, along with how much our club needed to be sorted out behind the scenes. but when ashley came in the situation changed and as his flaws became more prominent he lost my support.

at the moment, if it is redknapp, he'll have my backing initially. he is a decent manager, far better than souness or roeder, and about the same level of effectiveness as allardyce and there are some definite strengths he possesses. i'm upset about the manner of allardyce's departure and the fact we've gone through all this fuss and upheavel to appoint a manager who is little if any improvement but that is an issue to take up with the mort and ashley who i'm disappointed in. redknapp himself isn't responsible for that tho so until he starts messing up he has my support.

...not even that we've in all reality just appointed his mates mate...SA deserved at least one full season and the summer is the time to have a good think, not spend £10m on changing managers mid-stream. Clueless.