The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest DONTOONER

hmmmm being a fan since i was 12........after 14 years......still no proper trophy..........beginning to doubt i would see it in my lifetime....

if the club is ran by monkeys....

DONTOONER

You are just a bairn, mate.

Some of us on here have been fans since the late 50s or early 60s and all we have to show for it is an old fairs cup and a few losing finalists.

Still, we have wonderful memories of all those near misses, havent we NE5.

All these, "I'll stick with <x> until the summer then take <y>" posts are most entertaining.

I know we have a reputation for being delusional fans, and I think it's largely unwarranted (after all, anyone who doesn't want to watch their team performing at the highest level and competing for the best prizes should really consider watching a different sport instead).  However, we do have to appreciate that until we've been looking like we're heading in that direction for a while, we really can't attract a big manager just because we've got money and fans (so do, for example, LA Galaxy).

We have to be honest and appreciate that there are a limited number of managers who would actually take the job, just like there are a limited number of players who'd come here.

For what it's worth, the difference (in my view) between Redknapp and Allardyce is that although both were used to scratching around, picking up sub-prime players and making the most of them, Allardyce made the most of them by fashioning them into hard-to-beat sloggers while Redknapp at least shaped his troops into what looked like a proper Premiership side, with attacking and goals and everything.  Their recent no-goal results at home have been interspersed with seven-goal thumpings and unbelievable away performances, and I would suggest that most of the times they haven't scored, it's been lack of quality of playing staff - which shouldn't be an issue for him here.

It could be much, much worse than Redknapp (although yeah, it could, in an ideal world, also be much much better), and if he starts with the fans thinking he's no improvement on Allardyce, we'll only have ourselves to blame when we're in Leeds' position still thinking, "we're too good for this".

So we're beyond courting, or even attempting to court, the likes of Ramos and Van Gaal?

Bollocks, all this subpar self-confidence mistaken for 'reality' is what's got us where we are.

Ambition is what's needed, and creative thinking. And a board with a knowledge of the footballing world.

Not Harry.

Fucking.

Redknapp.

All these, "I'll stick with <x> until the summer then take <y>" posts are most entertaining.

I know we have a reputation for being delusional fans, and I think it's largely unwarranted (after all, anyone who doesn't want to watch their team performing at the highest level and competing for the best prizes should really consider watching a different sport instead).  However, we do have to appreciate that until we've been looking like we're heading in that direction for a while, we really can't attract a big manager just because we've got money and fans (so do, for example, LA Galaxy).

We have to be honest and appreciate that there are a limited number of managers who would actually take the job, just like there are a limited number of players who'd come here.

For what it's worth, the difference (in my view) between Redknapp and Allardyce is that although both were used to scratching around, picking up sub-prime players and making the most of them, Allardyce made the most of them by fashioning them into hard-to-beat sloggers while Redknapp at least shaped his troops into what looked like a proper Premiership side, with attacking and goals and everything.  Their recent no-goal results at home have been interspersed with seven-goal thumpings and unbelievable away performances, and I would suggest that most of the times they haven't scored, it's been lack of quality of playing staff - which shouldn't be an issue for him here.

It could be much, much worse than Redknapp (although yeah, it could, in an ideal world, also be much much better), and if he starts with the fans thinking he's no improvement on Allardyce, we'll only have ourselves to blame when we're in Leeds' position still thinking, "we're too good for this".

So we're beyond courting, or even attempting to court, the likes of Ramos and Van Gaal?

Bollocks, all this subpar self-confidence mistaken for 'reality' is what's got us where we are.

Ambition is what's needed, and creative thinking. And a board with a knowledge of the footballing world.

Not Harry.

Fucking.

Redknapp.

I think that with the appointment of Arry the new board has shown that they dont have these kind of qualities.

Sad,sad days to be a newcastle fan

and if we approached Mourihno or at least we tried things should have been so different.

Redknapp is at the Portsmouth training ground, bringing them up for the game, it's looking a lot less likely if that's the case

PS - that's from SSN, so not sure whether it's true, but they are very reluctant to play the story down as they have been championing it all week, so i think it's likely to be true

Guest Ridzuan

Redknapp is at the Portsmouth training ground, bringing them up for the game, it's looking a lot less likely if that's the case

You never know the situation.He may seem like he is staying but in actual fact he is not.I think if the rumours are to be believe that Harry is the man,then I think tomorrow's game against Sunderland would be his last match with Pompey,but lets hope that will not be the case.

I just feel if nothing is done by tonight there is a chance things will change. I'm gutted the game is not at our place as the fans would have a chance to make a real statement about who they want / do not want. If we had 52k fans singing for Mourinho / Shearer / Van Gaal(!) then Ashley / Mort would realise that Redknapp would not 'blow' anyone's fecking socks off and would not be a good choice. As it is i'm hoping a) those down at OT make enough noise that the TV picks it up for Ashley to see or b) ashley is back for the game. After all, we heard right up until the Stoke game that Ashley was on hols yet he made it back - if he wants to be there he will be and i'd have thought Man Utd away would have him rushing to be back

I just feel if nothing is done by tonight there is a chance things will change. I'm gutted the game is not at our place as the fans would have a chance to make a real statement about who they want / do not want. If we had 52k fans singing for Mourinho / Shearer / Van Gaal(!) then Ashley / Mort would realise that Redknapp would not 'blow' anyone's fecking socks off and would not be a good choice. As it is i'm hoping a) those down at OT make enough noise that the TV picks it up for Ashley to see or b) ashley is back for the game. After all, we heard right up until the Stoke game that Ashley was on hols yet he made it back - if he wants to be there he will be and i'd have thought Man Utd away would have him rushing to be back

^^

Redknapp is out of it, he has gone to 3rd fave on betfair behind Shearer and Hughes, something has happened, dunno what but i'm going to put my neck on the line here and say he's told someone he's not going, the money has just poured out of him. Not sure who it'll be but i'm going to say now, i don't think it will be redknapp - check betfair.com

Redknapp is out of it, he has gone to 3rd fave on betfair behind Shearer and Hughes, something has happened, dunno what but i'm going to put my neck on the line here and say he's told someone he's not going, the money has just poured out of him. Not sure who it'll be but i'm going to say now, i don't think it will be redknapp - check betfair.com

Bookies odds are speculation. Not reality.

If you believed the bookies, we would have been managed by Glenn Hoddle and Dave Jones.

Odds on Redknapp on Betfair have just gone out miles, he is now way longer than evenings, Hughes has come in from 20s to 6s - does anyone know what's happened?!

Bloody hell, I just saw that myself... What's going on??

He still on top.

Bookmakers are indeed speculation, but what speculation are they reacting to? There is nothing on talksport or skysports (i'm sad enough to have both on!) and all articles are pointing towards Redknapp joining, so the flow of money away from Redknapp can only be linked to some kind of inside info... remember betfair isn't your standard bookmaker, it's private people betting against each other.

He is on top of the list but his odds are longer. As i speak

Redknapp: 5.2

Shearer: 5.1

Hughes: 4.3

Bookmakers are indeed speculation, but what speculation are they reacting to? There is nothing on talksport or skysports (i'm sad enough to have both on!) and all articles are pointing towards Redknapp joining, so the flow of money away from Redknapp can only be linked to some kind of inside info... remember betfair isn't your standard bookmaker, it's private people betting against each other.

Not being patronising, but I think you are fairly new here and havent sat through this forum during other periods of management change.

Having watched the last three appointments, I have observed people reacting to changes of bookmakers odds, and after a while, you realise that these changes mean absolutely nothing.

Not being patronising, but I think you are fairly new here and havent sat through this forum during other periods of management change.

Having watched the last three appointments, I have observed people reacting to changes of bookmakers odds, and after a while, you realise that these changes mean absolutely nothing.

For the odds to go out that much someone must know something..

like it or not bookies arent daft!

Someone says that every time, yet in reality, nothing has changed most ofthe time.

Nope, not patronising at all, just trying to get my head round it all, normally follow management changes via tv / websites but rarely on forums. To be honest, my main obsession with the gambling sites at the moment is a strong belief that if you react to breaking news you can make a lot of money. Having sat and watched Betfair basically solidly for the last 3 days i am learning a lot about how the market works and i have been doing similar for other clubs, albeit with less interest as i don't follow them.

Whilst tipping someone to take the job is always conjecture and will often be wrong, when odds fly away from someone more often than not that means that there is something in it. I understand your scepticism and maybe you can educate me by telling me all the managers that have come following their odd flying out when they were previously favourites. That's a genuine question, i'm here to learn as much as i can to be honest!

you'd struggle to convince a judge and jury of that

Guest elbee909

Someone says that every time, yet in reality, nothing has changed most ofthe time.

Of course they also massage stuff to make it more attractive to bet.  At this point they probably figure they've bagged all the early betters laying the big money, so now they lengthen to snare in the rest...

Well you were.  :laugh:

Anyway, it could be a reaction to the delay of Harry signing on. Why is it not a done deal, flying out of training, money isn't the issue, maybe he doesn't want the job.

Has Shearer been approached? It might not of even been as a manager but to bring him back in under Harry, maybe people are picking up on that and its spreading to other possibilities.

TBH though, i think its the delay, Harry has just arrived at pompy's training ground, its either a goodbye, or we've not got him. Decision time.