A Question For The Oldies

Tooj

As longs as I have watched football it has to be Gary Lineker.  Top class goal poacher.  If the ball was whipped across the face of the goal then you could almost guarantee the lad with the big nose and pudding basin haircut was going to be sliding in on the near post.

Shearer had a patch of about two years where he didn't score for Enlgand prior to Euro 96 and Venables was under tremendous pressure from the media to drop him.  Then he picked up the golden boot for the tournament.  Funny how the press are still full of shit even after all these years.

As longs as I have watched football it has to be Gary Lineker.  Top class goal poacher.  If the ball was whipped across the face of the goal then you could almost guarantee the lad with the big nose and pudding basin haircut was going to be sliding in on the near post.

Shearer had a patch of about two years where he didn't score for Enlgand prior to Euro 96 and Venables was under tremendous pressure from the media to drop him.  Then he picked up the golden boot for the tournament.  Funny how the press are still full of shit even after all these years.

the stick shearer got from the press when he played for england was unbelievable, especially from the mirror which had a long running vendetta against him. then as soon as he retired they were all fawning over him and begging him back. needless to say they're cunts.

Guest walkerboy

Linker was very good but the person who really made him in the england team was one of the best players we had-peter beardsley.

Guest walkerboy

to answer the original question the romantic in me wants to say look at wyn davies, pop robson and supermac-brillianly exciting and scored goals but that wa sanother time, shearer gets it even if its just for the fact he never signed for man utd!

the stick shearer got from the press when he played for england was unbelievable, especially from the mirror which had a long running vendetta against him. then as soon as he retired they were all fawning over him and begging him back. needless to say they're cunts.

Harry Harris in particular.  blueyes.gif

to answer the original question the romantic in me wants to say look at wyn davies, pop robson and supermac-brillianly exciting and scored goals but that wa sanother time, shearer gets it even if its just for the fact he never signed for man utd!

Was Welsh.

Was Welsh.

Still is Welsh, met the bloke on Boxing Day.

Guest walkerboy

welsh-yes sorry was off on a tangent then -by the tim e a realised was just as embarrassing to correct it as to  wait for the flak to come!

welsh-yes sorry was off on a tangent then -by the tim e a realised was just as embarrassing to correct it as to  wait for the flak to come!

He's been away for 36 years, I wouldn't worry too much.  :lol:

Some strikers on a par with Shearer and not necessarily English during my time would be:

Jimmy Greaves

Denis Law

Allan Clarke

Martin Chivers

Ian Wright

Gary Lineker

Mark Hughes

Francis Lee

Bobby Charlton

Kenny Dalglish

Kevin Keegan

Trevor Francis