Official Statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

I've got no bloody idea. I'm forgetting about the whole saga now and looking to today's match. It's out of our hands, no one's got a bloody clue.

Spot on, nobody has a clue, we might as well just wait and see what happens.

Nobody has a clue, certainly not the Chairman anyway. >:(

I'll make that judgement once we know who we've got.  Redknapp wasn't as bad as some make out, I can understand why they went for him, I don't assume that the second choice is worse than the first either.

I'll make that judgement once we know who we've got.  Redknapp wasn't as bad as some make out, I can understand why they went for him, I don't assume that the second choice is worse than the first either.

The main thing I'm taking heart from at the moment is the England situation of recent times.

For all the hoo-ha about Mourinho, they still managed to get in Capello after the "Special One" allegedly turned us down, or ruled himself out. As pertains to us, you'd hope we've set things out in a fairly similar way. If Redknapp was our first choice, the only solace I suppose people can take is that we genuinely must have been entirely above-board with our approach, which I was surprised to see. Whether people view that as a good thing or a bad thing is obviously open to question.

Of course we're not England and don't have that sort of pull, but I'm hoping people can see my logic here. It still would have been nice to get our first choice, which is what it appears Redknapp was. I have to say I'm fairly disappointed with how things have turned out today.

Guest Sniffer

He's 61 and had an unsuccessful career as a manager at any level that counts. Why would anybody want him? It's not like he's 40 and up and coming.

Guest Guinness

Jol Hughes Shearer Houllier is my guess for the next manager

out of the said names above i hope it is Jol

Houllier is a name that I'd completely forgotten about, I'd be happy if he was under consideration.

Hughes hadn't been approached yesterday, but may be under consideration now. Jol's been mentioned by the highly reliable AO today. I'm giving up trying to second guess what's going on. From what I've observed the club don't have a clue what they're doing, but I'll reserve full judgement until I see who's appointed and when the appointment is made.

first choices of mourinho and redknapp are completely different. the board has royally stuffed this whole thing up and now need a change of strategy, move away from "experienced" managers to looking at "successful" managers. a manager's longevity in the game shouldn't be the main criteria as that reduces quality down to how long someone has been working in the game, regardless of how much success they've had. no wonder we ended up asking a wheeler deeler barrow boy if he wanted the job.

Guest sittingontheball

All's well that ends well, and this saga hasn't ended yet. He wasn't worth 5m a year, but Arry would have been better than Sam. As long as the blerk who does come in is too, and Ashley will fund the payoff and sweeteners without touching the transfer kitty, there's no damage done in my book. Ferk what the press think or how many managers may have managed us for one game in the past ten years.

We were going nowhere fast.

Hope its not Shearer though. Or McClaren of course.

In light of recent news, Shearer's appointment looks both increasingly likely and increasingly desirable to me...and I'm amazed that I'm even thinking that, let alone announcing it to others on this forum.

first choices of mourinho and redknapp are completely different. the board has royally stuffed this whole thing up and now need a change of strategy, move away from "experienced" managers to looking at "successful" managers. a manager's longevity in the game shouldn't be the main criteria as that reduces quality down to how long someone has been working in the game, regardless of how much success they've had. no wonder we ended up asking a wheeler deeler barrow boy if he wanted the job.

Dear me, that's a bit of a flouncey post. I'd hate to be in a scrap with some of this forum, I tells ya, some people have no stomach for a fight.

Of course Mourinho and Redknapp are completely different, but then so are the Newcastle and England jobs, if you want to be as basic as that about it.

Our first choice has turned us down, much like has happened in the past under Shepherd, and it's obviously not great, but judgements like you've just ventured surely cannot be made until we see who we end up with and how they are supported. It seems fairly common practice to me that clubs/nations draw up a shortlist of managers and go down them until they get their man and we're not quite into the realms of the Souness debacle just yet. If Redknapp is to be believed he also turned down Spurs when they sounded him out, and they ended up with Ramos, so let's not count our chickens just yet.

I was wrong. They ARE going to try and bullshit their way out of it.

Agreed.  I thought we'd really turned the corner and instilled some business sense in running the club (i.e. having a successor lined up before you f**king hoy your manager out the door partway through the Jan. transfer window).  I'm very sad that this approach is being taken by the club.  Hopefully, Redknapp's rebuke will force them to work harder on some of the high profile foreign possibilities (not knowing, of course, what contact they may have already had).

Dear me, that's a bit of a flouncey post. I'd hate to be in a scrap with some of this forum, I tells ya, some people have no stomach for a fight.

Of course Mourinho and Redknapp are completely different, but then so are the Newcastle and England jobs, if you want to be as basic as that about it.

if you're going for the proportional argument, then if england is to newcastle what mourinho is to redknapp, is our capello going to be someone like steve mclaren or steve bruce?

Our first choice has turned us down, much like has happened in the past under Shepherd, and it's obviously not great, but judgements like you've just ventured surely cannot be made until we see who we end up with and how they are supported. It seems fairly common practice to me that clubs/nations draw up a shortlist of managers and go down them until they get their man and we're not quite into the realms of the Souness debacle just yet. If Redknapp is to be believed he also turned down Spurs when they sounded him out, and they ended up with Ramos, so let's not count our chickens just yet.

we've fired our manager without anyone lined up, spurs waited until they had ramos in the bag before getting rid of Jol. no suggestion that spurs asked redknapp for a job either, pure speculation, they were after ramos for ages, kept the same strategy all the way through and ended up with the man they wanted. different situations. would love it if we end up with a ramos type but i feel it will take a shift in strategy from the board. even looking at sports direct it's clear that ashley prefers to appoint people he's known for ages and is comfortable with, so it'll take a seachange from the big man to go out and ask mort for a foreigner.

ps all the shite about flouncey posts does you a disservice, try and stick to discussions as you're usually a good poster.

who are the others ?

has redknapp pulled out at a kind of interview stage leaving the others still in the running ?

was he offered the job or did we just want to talk to him aswell as others to decide on who'd be best for us ?

we've fired our manager without anyone lined up, spurs waited until they had ramos in the bag before getting rid of Jol.

Oh f*** off man, Jol was worse then sacked the minute people found out Spurs were after Ramos, he was a dead man managing and you think that was a better situation then just being honest and sacking him first?

Right, here's a scenario for you.  You wake up and find the news all over the papers that we've offered Redknapp the job with Sam still in charge and he's turned us down.  We're now left with a manager who knows he's sacked, who we've shat on from a great height and will still be in charge for todays game against Manure.  What is your reaction?  Be honest now, you'd have come on here and said what a complete and utter disgrace it was, wouldn't you?

if you're going for the proportional argument, then if england is to newcastle what mourinho is to redknapp, is our capello going to be someone like steve mclaren or steve bruce?

we've fired our manager without anyone lined up, spurs waited until they had ramos in the bag before getting rid of Jol. no suggestion that spurs asked redknapp for a job either, pure speculation, they were after ramos for ages, kept the same strategy all the way through and ended up with the man they wanted. different situations. would love it if we end up with a ramos type but i feel it will take a shift in strategy from the board. even looking at sports direct it's clear that ashley prefers to appoint people he's known for ages and is comfortable with, so it'll take a seachange from the big man to go out and ask mort for a foreigner.

ps all the shite about flouncey posts does you a disservice, try and stick to discussions as you're usually a good poster.

All the flouncing shite does you a disservice as well, for the same reason, which is why I pointed it out.

The argument is that, rightly or wrongly, it would appear that Mourinho was the FA's first choice and Redknapp was ours. It's not an entirely proportional argument of course, but if Capello was the FA's second choice then the point I was trying to make is that this isn't an utter disaster, just yet. People are jumping the gun a bit, but if you want something concrete from me then I'd assume our "Capello" will be someone Mark Hughes or Martin Jol, rather than the two names you mentioned. Not exactly awe-inspiring, upon first glance, but hopefully not a disaster.

As for Spurs, if Redknapp didn't say "no" to that job, then who else could it have been? Chelsea? Why would he come out and say he turned down an approach for what he considers a "massive job" otherwise? The sensible money points to Spurs, who were derided in all quarters for the approach they took to appointing a new manager if I remember correctly. Yes they look like they got someone who was very high on their shortlist, quite probably the first choice (as you said), but their method was surely more embarrasing and public than ours has been. I dread to think what the reaction to Mort/Ashley behaving like the Spurs board did with Jol/Ramos would have been like on here. Do you not recall the mockery Tottenham suffered during that period? From everyone, not just their own fans.

Personally, I'd rather we took an approach like that and got our first choice (Redknapp), instead of playing it "nice" which is what appears to have been done. Mort has said today that there have been more people sounded out, so I suppose all we can do is wait and see if we get our second choice, or third, or fourth.

Guest pistonism

Paradox.

Basically he is saying that we will appoint someone who they consider to be inferior to Redknapp and be successful.

Totally agreed