Official Statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

is no1 else feeling a shearer appointment is looking more and more likely/ acceptable?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48803.msg1150697#msg1150697

In light of recent news, Shearer's appointment looks both increasingly likely and increasingly desirable to me...and I'm amazed that I'm even thinking that, let alone announcing it to others on this forum.

blueyes.gif

Some of the vitriol being spewed towards Ashley and Mort is nothing short of a disgrace, if you ask me.

They got rid of an average (and that's being very kind) manager who was taking us nowhere, and because they haven't immediately installed a vastly better manager in a completely smooth manner all of a sudden they're muppets who don't know what they're doing.

Have a word FFS.

Some of the vitriol being spewed towards Ashley and Mort is nothing short of a disgrace, if you ask me.

They got rid of an average (and that's being very kind) manager who was taking us nowhere, and because they haven't immediately installed a vastly better manager in a completely smooth manner all of a sudden they're muppets who don't know what they're doing.

Have a word FFS.

Aye.

Re: the timing, don't know if this has been suggested but perhaps they did plan it now rather than just pulling the trigger randomly. This way, if we get beat at Man Utd, Arsenal twice, even Stoke bearing in mind who comes after them, people will be more likely to say "Who cares, they're write-offs anyway" rather than "they've fucked up our season by doing it now."

It's possible they saw the FA Cup draw and said "now's our chance."

Have a word FFS.

Agreed

Re: the timing, don't know if this has been suggested but perhaps they did plan it now rather than just pulling the trigger randomly. This way, if we get beat at Man Utd, Arsenal twice, even Stoke bearing in mind who comes after them, people will be more likely to say "Who cares, they're write-offs anyway" rather than "they've fucked up our season by doing it now."

It's possible they saw the FA Cup draw and said "now's our chance."

Basically plagiarism of what I've been saying, but I agree Captain Wull.

Have a word FFS.

got rid of a decent manager in a poorly timed and poorly handled manner, the only way to justify such a bungling dismissal is if they had a significantly better manager lined up and in the bag, instead their best idea was to offer it to a manager who is no better without even knowing if he was actually interested in the job.

pretty poor stuff if you ask me. they can make up for it by going out, clearing their minds of naff managers like redknapp, and making a move for a top manager. if they do that and have shown they've learned from the past few days i'll chalk this early mistake down to inexperience.

Have a word FFS.

got rid of a decent manager in a poorly timed and poorly handled manner, the only way to justify such a bungling dismissal is if they had a significantly better manager lined up and in the bag, instead their best idea was to offer it to a manager who is no better without even knowing if he was actually interested in the job.

pretty poor stuff if you ask me. they can make up for it by going out, clearing their minds of naff managers like redknapp, and making a move for a top manager. if they do that and have shown they've learned from the past few days i'll chalk this early mistake down to inexperience.

Agree entirely, Johnny.

It's clear that they just didn't feel they could back Allardyce at all, he was never their man and was never going to be. I just don't see the point in keeping him when our season is pretty much a write-off at this point anyway.

I'm disappointed as anyone that our sights seem to be set fairly low on the managerial food chain, but I don't see how swapping one above average manager whom you don't trust for another above average manager that you do trust is quite the shambles some seem to think it is.

As for how poorly it's been handled, it'll make absolutely no difference in the long run as far as I can see.

Have a word FFS.

Agreed, they're getting slaughtered before they've appointed anybody, it doesn't make sense, it's not as if they've got a track-record of appointing shite.

Firstly, no he wasn't a decent manager.  Secondly obviously he was interested and they knew he was interested before they offered him the job.  How exactly would you have preferred them to do things?  Actually offer him the job with Allardyce still in charge and have it all over the papers how we'd just taken a big s*** all over Sam and what a bunch of c***s we are?..  Only for Harry to then turn us down and then have to deal with the fallout of having Allardyce still in charge knowing that we just want over his head to another manager?  You think that would be a preferrable situation?...

Firstly, no he wasn't a decent manager.  Secondly obviously he was interested and they knew he was interested before they offered him the job.  How exactly would you have preferred them to do things?  Actually offer him the job with Allardyce still in charge and have it all over the papers how we'd just taken a big s*** all over Sam and what a bunch of c***s we are?..  Only for Harry to then turn us down and then have to deal with the fallout of having Allardyce still in charge knowing that we just want over his head to another manager?  You think that would be a preferrable situation?...

Isn't that what Spurs did, and they got crucified for it, by a lot of people on here as well.

It's clear that they just didn't feel they could back Allardyce at all, he was never their man and was never going to be. I just don't see the point in keeping him when our season is pretty much a write-off at this point anyway.

I'm disappointed as anyone that our sights seem to be set fairly low on the managerial food chain, but I don't see how swapping one above average manager whom you don't trust for another above average manager that you do trust is quite the shambles some seem to think it is.

As for how poorly it's been handled, it'll make absolutely no difference in the long run as far as I can see.

have we made that swap? thought redknapp turned us down tbh. had redknapp joined it still would've been a poor decision but he didn't want it so it's even worse. the difference between sacking allardyce now (aside from the argument of giving him a full season) and waiting till the end of the season is that it is far easier to find managers in the close season, especially in an international tournament year where a host of big changes will be made after the final ball of euro 2008 is kicked. if you change mid-season you better make sure you have a new man lined up, as spurs did.

have we made that swap? thought redknapp turned us down tbh. had redknapp joined it still would've been a poor decision but he didn't want it so it's even worse. the difference between sacking allardyce now (aside from the argument of giving him a full season) and waiting till the end of the season is that it is far easier to find managers in the close season, especially in an international tournament year where a host of big changes will be made after the final ball of euro 2008 is kicked. if you change mid-season you better make sure you have a new man lined up, as spurs did.

Hold on, so your argument hinges on Harry Redknapp's decision?  Which neither Mort or Ashley can do anything about?  Clearly Redknapp was very interested in the job, which is why they decided to go ahead and offer it too him.  How can Mort or Ashley be held accountable for the hundred and one things rushing through Redknapps head on Friday night that finally brought him to the decision to stay at Portsmouth?

where did i say it entirely hinges on redknapp's decision? anyone reading my posts on the matter shouldn't think so, unless you're just twisting my argument to concoct a straw man. regardless of redknapp's suitability for the job and the poor manner of allardyce's dismissal which ive already addressed, if mort and ashley don't have redknapp in the bag, don't fire allardyce as it's not like there was unrelenting pressure for him to go. simple as. wait until the summer when there's no competitive football underway, when the field widens and managers are far more likely to make moves.

Wonder who the other candidates are, if Harry was their first choice and he said no that is very worrying.

The bookies were right about Redknapp, in fairness to them, much like they were with Capello weeks before he was appointed (before the Mourinho storm arrived.)

At the minute, the sensible money looks to be on one of Mark Hughes or Martin Jol in particular, with Shearer obviously being in the mix as well.

Have a word FFS.

Saying it's a 'disgrace' is a bit sanctimonious. I don't have to offer unwavering loyalty towards the collection of people - with no prior interest in our region, until they saw a profitable business opportunity - who just happen to own and run the club right now. If they are apparently unwilling or incapable to progress us further - ie. By at the very least appointing managers of equal calibre to the ones currently employed by the top eight clubs* - maybe they should have tried to takeover the likes of the Birmingham, where mediocrity is accepted, albeit by a considerably smaller (and therefore crucially less lucrative) fanbase.

*Portsmouth may occupy the eight place, but in the same sense that Wigan and Reading temporarily did. They are not a top eight club, if you get my drift.

MORT - WE WON'T BE RUSHED

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has insisted the club would take their time to find the right manager after Harry Redknapp's withdrawal from the race to succeed Sam Allardyce.

Redknapp's decision to stay at Portsmouth after holding talks with Mort on Friday sent the Magpies back to the drawing board, although the chairman insists the 60-year-old was only one of a series of potential candidates.

In a statement released on the club's official website Mort said: "In the process of appointing a new manager at Newcastle United, we have identified and spoken to a number of potential candidates.

"This is a very important appointment - our first since taking

control of the club - and we will take as long as required to make sure we bring the right person.

"That person will be someone we believe will be able to deliver successful results and performances to accompany that.

"We can confirm that Harry Redknapp is one of the people the club has spoken to.

"However, Harry made it clear he is happy with life on the South Coast and we wish him well for the future.

"We will continue to devote our time to the very important task of selecting the right person to manage Newcastle United and we will make a further announcement when appropriate."

Interestingly, Mort's job spec does not include the word "experience", which ran through early briefings in the wake of Allardyce's departure on Wednesday evening.

That instantly ruled out fans' favourite Alan Shearer, who quickly leapt to the top of the betting pile once again after news of Redknapp's decision emerged on Saturday morning.

Fresh claims that the 37-year-old would take the job if offered it were circulating on Friday night, although were given little credence with owner Mike Ashley have placed a proven track record at the top of his list of requirements.

However, speculation that Shearer could work alongside a more experienced man - the names of Kevin Keegan and Steve McClaren figure large in the most prominent rumours - was sweeping Tyneside on Saturday.

Perhaps more realistic are the claims of Blackburn's Mark Hughes - he has insisted he's happy at Ewood Park, although that was when Redknapp's arrival looked a racing certainty - and the currently out-of-work Martin Jol and Jose Mourinho, with the Portuguese having been linked with the job at St James' Park even before Allardyce collected his cards.

Having seen their first attempt fail, Ashley and Mort will now step up their search knowing all the time that as the days slip by, so to do their new manager's chances of strengthening a squad depleted by the departures of Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins for the African Nations Cup in the winter transfer window.

Redknapp had reportedly been offered a £20million kitty, but Allardyce admitted as he planned his own recruitment drive that the best signings will be made during the first two weeks of the month.

The former Bolton boss returned to the club's training ground yesterday to say his goodbyes to the players before they set off for Saturday evening's Barclays Premier League clash with Manchester United.

They will run out at Old Trafford themselves not knowing what the future holds as the turmoil goes on.

By contrast, Redknapp will head for the dug-out at the Stadium of Light on Sunday still wearing Pompey colours, and he is likely to be greeted as warmly by the Sunderland fans as by those of his own club as they revel in their arch-rivals' discomfort.

Already sportinglife make it out that the first attempt went wrong, even though there is nothing to suggest they had only spoken to Redknapp - quite the opposite in fact.

"although the chairman insists the 60-year-old was only one of a series of potential candidates."

is a line that stands out to me

He was the first-choice and was offered the job.

This morning is the happiest i have felt in months. its like a weight has been lifted from my mind. so we look stupid again,big suprise when arent we the Laughing stock? we should be used to it. today gives the morons upstairs a second chance. i can see ashley wanting to back an englishman to win things with us. hes very patriotic apparently, also his close mates whispering glowingly about rednapp didnt help. now i have hope again..until this evening when weve lost 6-0 and appointed Mclaren.