FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

Houllier would welcome any conversation with Mort/Ashley and would welcome working with Shearer.

- David Craig via Houlliers associates

Informal discussions with Ashleys contacts held.

Get him in!

I would suggest anyone looking to have Houllier in o his own, or as no.1 to have a quick look at his Liverpool career. Many of his signings were downright atrocious. So he's won a couple of cups. Big deal. Souness had done the same. IMO he lost a bit of "oomph" after his heart surgery (as did Souness).

IMO, while he is a million times more knowledgable about football, Gerard Houllier's appointment as manager on his own would be equivalent to the French Souness. Uninspiring, and would only serve to divide the fans even more.

Having said that, I'd have him in as Shearer's no.2

I'd be chuffed if we end up with someone like Houllier, especially after some of the names we've heard to be in the frame recently e.g Hughes, Jol. These wouldn't be bad for us but Houllier is in a different class.

I'd be chuffed if we end up with someone like Houllier, especially after some of the names we've heard to be in the frame recently e.g Hughes, Jol. These wouldn't be bad for us but Houllier is in a different class.

Have to admit I don't mind Houllier as a bloke or as a manager, but only if Shearers involved like.

Still think Keegan\Shearer combo would work better

Houllier has no charisma whatsoever, and neither did his football. His approach will not be welcomed on Tyneside, and that will be proven, should he get the job, on the pitch. He is more of a professor, and lot less of a motivator/leader type. If you thought Big Sam was boring, wait till you see this guy.

His knowledge and respect throughout the game however, make him the ideal foil for someone else (e.g. Shearer or KK) who would be in the spotlight.

Really?

To Hughes? I would say so yes. Hughes has never won anything.

Really?

Hughes is also a lot younger, and has had less time in management. Nowt to do with winning things. Souness won things. Souness won things for several clubs in different countries. Must be better than Hughes then  :rolleyes:

Houllier has no charisma whatsoever, and neither did his football. His approach will not be welcomed on Tyneside, and that will be proven, should he get the job, on the pitch. He is more of a professor, and lot less of a motivator/leader type. If you thought Big Sam was boring, wait till you see this guy.

His knowledge and respect throughout the game however, make him the ideal foil for someone else (e.g. Shearer or KK) who would be in the spotlight.

Are we seriously bothered about good football, though, if we win games? I take your point about the motivation issue. But you have to agree he is one of the better candidates for the job.

5 trophies in one season. We haven't won that many in most people off this boards lifetime

No wonder the media say our expectations are too high

He will bring stability to the club he will build us to be a force again whether doing that the steady or spectacular way i don't care. Personally i would be over the moon with his appointment

Really?

Hughes is also a lot younger, and has had less time in management. Nowt to do with winning things. Souness won things. Souness won things for several clubs in different countries. Must be better than Hughes then  :rolleyes:

Surely you can see how an experienced, winning manager is in a completely different category to an upcoming, (largely) unproven one. Strange point about Souness. I didn't say winning trophies made Houllier a better manager, just that he's in a different class i.e he has managed big clubs and won trophies.

5 trophies in one season. We haven't won that many in most people off this boards lifetime

He will bring stability to the club he will build us to be a force again whether doing that the steady or spectacular way i don't care. Personally i would be over the moon with his appointment

See, I am all for the unspectacular rebuilding of the club. But that's what Big Sam would have done eventually!! and look how the fans turned on him.

What I'm saying is, if we were a no mark club like Pompey or Boro or what not, then Houllier would definitely be an astute appointment to steady the ship. We're not!! We're fucking Newcastle United! Nothing here is that simple. We're in the media as much as any of the top 4, and more in some cases. We need as much character in the dugout as we can get. It's our only hope.

Can you imagine the crisis the media would invent should Houllier's first 10 games be uninspiring? Crisis at the toon and all that shit from SSN! The mongs amongst us would be out in force against the manager again, and we're back to square one!

See, I am all for the unspectacular rebuilding of the club. But that's what Big Sam would have done eventually!! and look how the fans turned on him.

What I'm saying is, if we were a no mark club like Pompey or Boro or what not, then Houllier would definitely be an astute appointment to steady the ship. We're not!! We're fucking Newcastle United! Nothing here is that simple. We're in the media as much as any of the top 4, and more in some cases. We need as much character in the dugout as we can get. It's our only hope.

Can you imagine the crisis the media would invent should Houllier's first 10 games be uninspiring? Crisis at the toon and all that shit from SSN! The mongs amongst us would be out in force against the manager again, and we're back to square one!

But with Shearer in there as well, time will be given.

Its win win imo.

What I'm saying is, if we were a no mark club like Pompey or Boro or what not, then Houllier would definitely be an astute appointment to steady the ship. We're not!! We're f****** Newcastle United! Nothing here is that simple. We're in the media as much as any of the top 4, and more in some cases. We need as much character in the dugout as we can get. It's our only hope.

Can you imagine the crisis the media would invent should Houllier's first 10 games be uninspiring? Crisis at the toon and all that s*** from SSN! The mongs amongst us would be out in force against the manager again, and we're back to square one!

Its win win imo.

Exactly!!!

But only if Shearer is number 1. Only if he's the top dog, with Houllier working in the background.

Are we seriously bothered about good football, though, if we win games? I take your point about the motivation issue. But you have to agree he is one of the better candidates for the job.

I would say so, yes.

I see how you bolded the first bit, yet apparently disregarded the second bit completely: "if we win games". I doubt anyone would be complaining if we got into the Champions League by winning 1-0 every week.

I would say so, yes.

I see how you bolded the first bit, yet apparently disregarded the second bit completely: "if we win games". I doubt anyone would be complaining if we got into the Champions League by winning 1-0 every week.

Of course no one will complain! But in order to start winning 1-0 every week, we will have to lose 1-0 every week for a while (so to speak) as the new man finds his winning formula. IMO our fans will not put up with that.

What I'm saying is, if we were a no mark club like Pompey or Boro or what not, then Houllier would definitely be an astute appointment to steady the ship. We're not!! We're f****** Newcastle United! Nothing here is that simple. We're in the media as much as any of the top 4, and more in some cases. We need as much character in the dugout as we can get. It's our only hope.

Can you imagine the crisis the media would invent should Houllier's first 10 games be uninspiring? Crisis at the toon and all that s*** from SSN! The mongs amongst us would be out in force against the manager again, and we're back to square one!

Its win win imo.

Exactly!!!

But only if Shearer is number 1. Only if he's the top dog, with Houllier working in the background.

Its more likely Shearer will be assistant according to those reports, but it doesn't really matter, what matters is the package. Shearer will be the most active assistant in the prem in this combo since he's being groomed for the job.

Everything Shearer is missing, GH has. This appointment will be legendary imo.

Of course no one will complain! But in order to start winning 1-0 every week, we will have to lose 1-0 every week for a while (so to speak) as the new man finds his winning formula. IMO our fans will not put up with that.

Well the fans were still split on Sam when we were losing while conceeding about 2 or 3 every game.

Guest LondonMag

on saturday i put 80 pounds on Houllier to be the next manager of NUFC.the odds were 66/1.

now its 7/2 according to Skybet

Souness, Gullit and Dalglish won trophies. None of them lasted long.

It would be funny if we appointed a manager who was sacked by Liverpool for almost exactly the same reasons Sam was.