Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Maybe this needs its own thread?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1215710,00.html

Chairman Comment: Manager Situation Addressed

NEWCASTLE United Chairman Chris Mort addresses the vacant managerial position at St. James' Park in his Black n White matchday programme notes for Wednesday's FA Cup tie against Stoke City ...

There has been a great deal of speculation in the past week over who will replace Sam Allardyce as the manager of Newcastle United. The most important thing now is to get the decision right - and lay solid foundations for the future.That is why we will take whatever time is necessary in making the decision.

This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the Club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria, which include:

- To have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task. There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them.In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning. We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football "on the carpet" as Sir Bobby Robson recently described it I think they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

- A manager that can speak English. There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

- We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters - we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

-------------------------------------------------------

...is what they're looking for.

discuss

That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy.

he might as well have just said the mans name.

That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy.

aye. Steve Bruce would never come here

"if interested, call Mr C. Mort on 07........"

sounds like we're advertising the job through the programme.

Nowt wrong with that though. The chairman doing a great job of providing the fans with an insight into their thought process. Good read imo.

such a shame as well him being a true geordie and all  :-[

he's saying what we all know. we can't attract a world class manager so the search is on for a relaistic alternative.

main bit I'd disagree with is the comment on the style of football. I think many fans don't care how we play, as long as we win on a regular basis. no point in playing sexy football if we get turned over every week.

a big plus point is that at least they have finally gone public with an official statement on the whole sorry situation. Which is a refreshing change from the "keeping the powder dry" bullshit of old.

"We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally."

Discard Kevin Keegan then?

such a shame as well him being a true geordie and all  :-[

chin up son  :occasion14:

its not all doom and gloom

Promising words.

Very.

It sounds like they know what they want, i think they are close and this is just something to let the fans know that they want to keep in communication with us during the process instead of getting all our info from the media.

I think this is good, very clear - this kind of communication is/was needed.

I would go further.

I would publish a 5 year plan, with 'goals' for each season, try to get the fans to buy into it - and then as long as we are meeting those goals, no more sackings, and everyone gets behind the team.

This season  - avoid relegation

Next season - top ten finish

Following season - UEFA cup qualification at end of season (via Intertoto is ok)

Following season - Top 6 finish

Final Year 5 - Top 4

On the flipside of his last paragrapgh, its only 5 seasons since NUFC competed in the Champions League. That shows what is realistically achievable here. But i agree that Jose is virtually ruled out with that piece. Quite understandable too, its nailed on that he'll go to one the european superpowers, a Mialn or Barca.

I would go further.

I would publish a 5 year plan, with 'goals' for each season, try to get the fans to buy into it - and then as long as we are meeting those goals, no more sackings, and everyone gets behind the team.

Following season - UEFA cup qualification at end of season (via Intertoto is ok)

Final Year 5 - Top 4

Fuck that we should win the league title this season tbh!

Does anyone else think all this talk of stylish, 'carpet' football is heaping unnecessary pressure on the new manager before he's even arrived? I'm convinced Newcastle fans would be delighted if significant success came with winning 'ugly', it was losing ugly which was the problem.

I would go further.

Final Year 5 - Top 4

It doesn't work like that, and weren't those basically the same targets as Allardyce?

Promising words.

Very.

It sounds like they know what they want, i think they are close and this is just something to let the fans know that they want to keep in communication with us during the process instead of getting all our info from the media.

Indeed. Otherwise why release this now?

The criteria is all agreeable, though we need to be careful not to appoint someone who will simply conform to it and be afraid to try new ideas in their own style.

I would go further.

Final Year 5 - Top 4

It doesn't work like that, and weren't those basically the same targets as Allardyce?

The problem wasn't with the targets set by Allardyce, it was the dross served up by him.

Guest The Corner

Does anyone else think all this talk of stylish, 'carpet' football is heaping unnecessary pressure on the new manager before he's even arrived? I'm convinced Newcastle fans would be delighted if significant success came with winning 'ugly', it was losing ugly which was the problem.

Where would be the joy in watching ugly football?, winning ugly is fine from time to time, but every week just defies the point of entertainment. I couldnt give two flying fucks if we won nothing for a while if we were playing good football, with a good atmosphere at SJP, and watching newcastle was an all round enjoyable experience.

Thats just me though

They need to be careful on that front, but I think it's commonly accepted (by the board and the fans) that winning is first and foremost.

I would go further.

Final Year 5 - Top 4

The problem wasn't with the targets set by Allardyce, it was the dross served up by him.

If the football is good, surely this will reflect in the league position? Avoiding relegation and top 10 second season, realistic maybe but I'm not sure the fans would be satisfied with that.

I would go further.

Final Year 5 - Top 4

yeah right, like that would be enough for most fans.. :frantic: