Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Sorry like, I'm going to start issuing bans for anyone praising Karen Carney, Jesus Christ. Still makes me laugh thinking of when John Murray said to her on 5Live that Arsenal had recovered well because "things had looked ominous" when they'd conceded early to Man City and she said "Ooh I don't know John, I don't know what ominous means"

:lol: I dont mind her tbf. But that's hilarious. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

25 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Judging from the posts, some are torn between loyalty to KK and their reaction to what is a pretty crass comment.

Age isn't really an excuse. In his lifetime, there have been enormous changes in attitude towards women and gay people, which he would have been very aware of. He tried to backtrack from his comments but then somewhat dug himself in deeper. 

FWIW, I genuinely think he's talking rubbish. There are some very good female pundits around - eg Sue Smith, Karen Carney. The overall standard between the genders is very similar.

Professional players can get irritated when an amateur starts to talk to them about football in a way that challenges or competes with them. You have to adopt a rather subservient tone. There is a tendency to pull rank, even within the professional game, where someone's opinion can get dismissed because they haven't won any caps or something like that. They're a competitive breed. I think that's what may have crept in here with KK. 

There’s little correlation between ability as a pundit and ability as a player.  But I get your point entirely and agree with you. 

4 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

I don’t agree with Keegan but as others have said it’s not helped by the way he’s said it and it’s likely a response to a question. He could probably have said the reverse for women’s football too if that helps. His opinions shouldn’t change our opinion of him or many other people for that matter. People who come from a different generation see the world differently, whether we like it or not, which won’t necessarily make them stupid or bad people. 

What’s all this about preferring male commentators to female commentators being misogynistic though? It’s one thing to say they shouldn’t be allowed to or will automatically be worse because they’re women, but I’d wager most people here would put few, if any, women as their favourite commentators? That’s not to say things might not change over time. 

All that is about people not understanding/accepting the definition of misogyny. It's all there.

49 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cronky's not going to let the opportunity to criticise Keegan slip man, howeh. :lol:

Ha ha, over the years, you wouldn't believe the number of opportunities that I've let pass by. ;)

43 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Sorry like, I'm going to start issuing bans for anyone praising Karen Carney, Jesus Christ. Still makes me laugh thinking of when John Murray said to her on 5Live that Arsenal had recovered well because "things had looked ominous" when they'd conceded early to Man City and she said "Ooh I don't know John, I don't know what ominous means"

:lol:

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

All that is about people not understanding/accepting the definition of misogyny. It's all there.

“Nothing misogynistic about preferring male commentators to female ones .”

I don’t think that’s misogynistic at all if someone can’t help but prefer the male commentators that are available to the female commentators, assuming it’s based on their commentary. 

5 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

“Nothing misogynistic about preferring male commentators to female ones .”

I don’t think that’s misogynistic at all if someone can’t help but prefer the male commentators that are available to the female commentators, assuming it’s based on their commentary. 

Is this a fucking wind up?

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I haven't watched much comedy in modern times but even decades ago you had Jennifer Saunders, Joan Rivers, Roseanne Barr and such. Now you have Fleabag and probably loads more, I'm not really up to date, but it's a bizarre statement. It doesn't even belong 50 years ago. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Already done that over the last few pages, can’t be arsed anymore.

You actually haven’t. Saying someone shouldn’t commentate or will automatically be inferior because she’s a women is without doubt misogynist, but nobody has said that. 

I don’t agree with Keegan or his supporters here, but some of the reactions haven’t been proportionate. It’s of course possible I’ve misinterpreted quotes, but no need to get angry mate. 

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

He's not wrong in his comments but he should know better how that would have been taken up.

It's an equality of outcome thing as opposed to equality of opportunity. Every pundit panel must contain a woman regardless if she has the personality of a turnip, or she has to be the presenter.

I gave up on Sky sports soccer Saturday thing with Jeff Stelling because the panel with Merson etc were just utter shit. I'd have it on but sound off with Radio 5 sound on.

10 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

You actually haven’t. Saying someone shouldn’t commentate or will automatically be inferior because she’s a women is without doubt misogynist, but nobody has said that. 

I don’t agree with Keegan or his supporters here, but some of the reactions haven’t been proportionate. It’s of course possible I’ve misinterpreted quotes, but no need to get angry mate. 

I’m not angry mate.

Saying "I don't like women pundits" and following it up with "no it's not sexist because the reason I don't like them is because they're shit, not because they're women" is incredibly stupid like. It's just a description of sexism with an extra step. If you weren't sexist you'd simply say "I don't like shit pundits" instead of assigning shitness to women. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I’m not angry mate.

Just came across that way from your previous reaction mate. But anyway I know I’m being pedantic here and it’s wrong to say you prefer people of a certain gender (as with race, sexuality etc) doing something, but I think the intentions behind those kind of claims aren’t bad even if they shouldn’t be expressed like that. 

Edited by St. Maximin

I think the most shocking thing about this is that anyone pays nearly enough attention to pundits to care who gets the job.

I think the only time I hear what one of them has to say is if I pass something on here. So naturally I'm pre-disposed to assuming every single one of them is utter shit, man or woman.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Saying "I don't like women pundits" and following it up with "no it's not sexist because the reason I don't like them is because they're shit, not because they're women" is incredibly stupid like. It's just a description of sexism with an extra step. If you weren't sexist you'd simply say "I don't like shit pundits" instead of assigning shitness to women. 

I agree and I’ve clarified my view above but I just don’t think anyone has said that. You have to bear in mind the context here being Keegan’s recent comments, rather than someone just out of the blue having a rant about women commentators because he heard one on the TV and didn’t like them. 

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Do you have a preference for men playing football or women playing football, or no preference?

No preference based on sex.

Actually don’t have a preference based on anything, not arsed who plays football.

Edited by Dr Venkman

10 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Some proper Fkin fannies mind fml

For what its worth I listen to talk radio with the volume off 

And the people who seemingly can’t handle the concept of women talking about football on telly are what exactly? :lol: