Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh from his & Terry Macs talk in at gossy park. All 500 and odd people sat in silence listening attentively to what they had to say, of which was a lot of the same old and training ground stories from back in the day.

Don't know what it is about kev but when he speaks, you sit there and you listen to every word. The man just understands it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Cole was my hero back in the day, heard a few things I'd rather not about him and why he was sold, but I have to believe KK himself who personally told me we could do better. That was KK, 41 goals in a season and he believed NUFC could do better. Sir Les was a better all-rounder like. He didn't score as many goals as Cole, but he was a better all-round centre-forward. Ironically Sir Les was less of a KK player than Cole was so I still think something personal was a major factor behind Cole's sale, again I've heard he literally told KK to go and f*** off and said the fans would back him over KK. Only ever one winner. Speak to Berseford about how ruthless KK could be and how authoritarian he was. He ruled with an iron fist make no mistake about that, which makes that era all that more special given how open the club was, how transparent our football was and just how free flowing we were. The opposite of a dictator but that is what KK was apparently, but in a good way. Love the man either way.

Kevin said he was going outside to talk to the fans. “You’ve got to be joking,” I told him. “What are you going to tell them?”

“The truth,” he answered back. “They’ve got a right to know. They pay good money to watch us.”

:love:

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't be fooled, KK was a showman and knew exactly what he was doing. The 'showdown' with fans was staged and his way of showing everyone that he was the boss. Don't get me wrong, it was done with honest intentions as well, but it was a lot to do with KK too.

Don't be fooled, KK was a showman and knew exactly what he was doing. The 'showdown' with fans was staged and his way of showing everyone that he was the boss. Don't get me wrong, it was done with honest intentions as well, but it was a lot to do with KK too.

:thup:

Always love hearing about the times he was boss in his first stint in the 90s from fans. I was unfortunate enough to miss both that and SBR.

Kevin said he was going outside to talk to the fans. “You’ve got to be joking,” I told him. “What are you going to tell them?”

“The truth,” he answered back. “They’ve got a right to know. They pay good money to watch us.”

He didn't actually tell them the truth though, did he? If he had, (which would have been very silly), he'd have said that Cole had gone off the boil and been a bit of an arse in training. All he said was trust me, it's all in the best interests of the club.

KK was very sensitive to criticism, and wouldn't have liked the sight of the fans gathering in protest like that.

Guest Howaythetoon

He didn't actually tell them the truth though, did he? If he had, (which would have been very silly), he'd have said that Cole had gone off the boil and been a bit of an arse in training. All he said was trust me, it's all in the best interests of the club.

KK was very sensitive to criticism, and wouldn't have liked the sight of the fans gathering in protest like that.

I think he thrived on trying to prove people wrong and so criticism was a good thing for him, he proved it throughout his careeer. He's not as soft a touch as perceived, far from it. Just speak to ex players. I love the bloke but from talk ins he could be a bit of a c*** apparently which is different to his public persona. I don't think criticism bothered him, as he had the confidence to try and beat it away. He took to the steps, a staged platform IMO, in full knowledge that he would win any battle regardless of criticism. I think he actually didn't like not being in control and being able to manage things, as he was so used to doing throughout his careeer.

Guest Howaythetoon

I cried that day, I couldn't believe we sold him and I hated KK... and then we signed Sir Les. Even as a 12 year old I knew he was better than Cole, with only Shearer better, and then we signed him!

Guest Howaythetoon

Andy Cole by the way is probably the most pivotal player in our modern history. Leicester at home, 7-1, that song went on for like all game. Unheard of. He was special...