Alan Shearer

NE5

Keegan mentioned this 'entertainment' topic today, and noone said a word.

The Alan Shearer bashers are back for their yearly moan.  :thup:

No he didn't say that at all. He said they first want to win something. As for Alan Shearer "bashing", you couldn't be more wrong, and where have you materialised from anyway

Been here for years pal.

Well pal, I'm not "bashing" Alan Shearer.

getting on my tits.

Why is he keep saying all we want is entertainment ?

its the same as when he has said in the past that we would rather win the FA Cup than the league ?

Why is he getting on your tits? he is entitled to his opinion as much as the next person.  Let him be.

Read the thread. I don't prefer winning the FA Cup to the league. If you are happy to see others speak for you, thats your problem.

Neither Keegan nor Shearer have sounded fantastically keen about the idea of a partnership. It doesn't sound like Shearer wants to be Keegan's number 2 (or anyone else's), and if he does have a role it's likely to be a limited and specific one that won't infringe on his TV work.

People seem to be interpreting this 'we'll talk about it' business as though it meant a lot. They both sound tentative to me.

Disagree entirely on all accounts. I think Shearer would give a lot to be Keegan's number 2, personally. Merely to be part of the set-up and, him still being human after all, being given the chance to collaborate with his chidlhood hero would be an honour for him. He loves the club, he wants to be involved, and who better than alongside Keegan, if you're a Newcastle fan?

And if we're going to be cynical, he knows he's got a good chance of succeeding him if they were to do well.

Don't know where you're getting the idea from that Keegan would be against a partnership, either. "I'll definitely talk to him, no doubt about it." Hmm, hardly sounds like it means nowt, like you've suggested. You said about detecting feelings on the inside; well, Keegan's tone of voice/body language seemed pretty enthusiastic to me. Shearer's naturally reserved and he'd just returned form a flight from Barbados. He was jumping on MOTD from what i saw, anyway...

No he didn't say that at all. He said they first want to win something. As for Alan Shearer "bashing", you couldn't be more wrong, and where have you materialised from anyway

Been here for years pal.

Well, Keegan did say we want to be entertained, first and foremost.

Been here for years pal.

"they want to win something"

I don't think having Shearer as assistant would be a clever move, initially it might work out very well but it's providing the media with shit to write once the results start going bad, they'll jump on Keegan and it'll be Shearer to take over, unnecessary pressure imo.

I don't think having Shearer as assistant would be a clever move, initially it might work out very well but it's providing the media with shit to write once the results start going bad, they'll jump on Keegan and it'll be Shearer to take over, unnecessary pressure imo.

I'm inclined to agree... i think a partnership would be a bit 'too' perfect. A bit unrealistic if you ask me.

Maybe later, if Keegan does well. In a year or so and he can bring him in to offer another side. Straight away though, i'd rather just leave it to Keegan.

Been here for years pal.

:lol:

Why not post the part where he said they want to be entertained?

I'm stopping now btw, can't be fucked.  :undecided:

Guest Knightrider

Fuck the media, do we care about what they write?

I mean it won't stop them anyway, whether Shearer's part of it or not.

As for KK, he's bigger than Shearer by a country mile, there will be no fear of some shadow lurking behind the scenes.

Neither Keegan nor Shearer have sounded fantastically keen about the idea of a partnership. It doesn't sound like Shearer wants to be Keegan's number 2 (or anyone else's), and if he does have a role it's likely to be a limited and specific one that won't infringe on his TV work.

People seem to be interpreting this 'we'll talk about it' business as though it meant a lot. They both sound tentative to me.

Disagree entirely on all accounts. I think Shearer would give a lot to be Keegan's number 2, personally. Merely to be part of the set-up and, him still being human after all, being given the chance to collaborate with his chidlhood hero would be an honour for him. He loves the club, he wants to be involved, and who better than alongside Keegan, if you're a Newcastle fan?

And if we're going to be cynical, he knows he's got a good chance of succeeding him if they were to do well.

Don't know where you're getting the idea from that Keegan would be against a partnership, either. "I'll definitely talk to him, no doubt about it." Hmm, hardly sounds like it means nowt, like you've suggested. You said about detecting feelings on the inside; well, Keegan's tone of voice/body language seemed pretty enthusiastic to me. Shearer's naturally reserved and he'd just returned form a flight from Barbados. He was jumping on MOTD from what i saw, anyway...

What Keegan said was, 'If there's a role that Alan wants, and it's the right one -  that's key - then etc...' That doesn't translate to me as 'I'd like Shearer as my number 2'.

On MOTD, Shearer said that he had never seen himself as a number two. He also said that he'd be prepared to talk to Keegan if there was some role he had in mind - which didn't sound to me like he would be tempted to ditch his TV sofa for a full time coaching role.

Both men must be conscious that a lot of fans would like to see them in partnership, so they're bound to be careful what they say.

As for KK, he's bigger than Shearer by a country mile, there will be no fear of some shadow lurking behind the scenes.

The media has no effect then?

Guest Knightrider

The media has no effect then?

Only if we let them, otherwise no. Results will keep the baying mob at the door and with Shearer and Keegan together we stand a better chance in my opinion. I feel Shearer would have a lot to offer this club as a coach, as a figure, as a transfer deal clincher. Imagine just for arguments sake KK going in for Berbatov? Take Shearer along and that could be the difference and in football it's always the "difference" good or bad that determines things more often than not. Bring him home Kev. Howay.

I really like Al & am not that bothered what he says. I think he says the FA Cup thing because we are/were shite  &  I remember in the 80's when there was any type of cup run there was buzz at SJP that was better than the league games.

Shearer will go down in my estimation if KK offers him a job & after a chat he knocks it back. Alan must realise this isn't McClaren & England offering him job, it is KEEGAN & NEWCASTLE.

Been here for years pal.

Why not post the part where he said they want to be entertained?

I'm stopping now btw, can't be fucked.  :undecided:

First of all .... ref elsewhere

"I didn't leave the last time because I wanted to, in terms of the players I had, and where we were, I left because of circumstances"........... "I didn't feel the club was going where I wanted to"

Now to your specific question, pal :

journo "what do the fans want"

Keegan "they would like to win something" THEN goes on to talk about the comparison with the enjoyment of going to the theatre and seeing the team "have a go" rather than play drab football and "finish halfway in the league". See the reference to results. "Have a go" is a vastly different phrase to use rather than "entertainment".

Listen to it again, especially the idiot who posted differently earlier

It goes without saying that entertaining football doesn't come before winning, otherwise Keegan would never have replaced Ossie Ardiles  mackems.gif

However, there are many people around who won't be aware of this, some through age which is no fault of their own of course, but others who weren't interested in the club pre-1992.

Shame they didn't give up their 1998 Cup Final tickets because the club played more negative football, must have been because they were hoping to win in spite of it.

Has confirmed that him and Keegan have talked about his role at the club and will talk again when Al gets back from Uganda at the end of the week. Sounds like Shearer is up for assistant manager.

Don't know what people are expecting from him really...

He's a selfish c*** attention whore because he didnt say NUFC had contacted him last week and you'd have said he was a selfish c*** had he dilvulged it also for being a s*** stirer and wanting the attention.

you are a total w****** f*** off and support the mackems

Think you've misread the situation Kev.

He's a selfish c*** attention whore because he didnt say NUFC had contacted him last week and you'd have said he was a selfish c*** had he dilvulged it also for being a s*** stirer and wanting the attention.

you are a total wanker fuck off and support the mackems

i think you missed his point :lol:

Maybe you shouldn't have gone past the second WKD  :razz:

And you're fucking dense.

I doubt Kev will understand what you mean, Wullie.

I doubt Kev will understand what you mean, Wullie.

Dense is a big word though, tbf.

you are a total w****** f*** off and support the mackems

And you're f****** dense.

:kasper: