One good thing...

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

A clean sheet.

Who said KK's teams couldn't defend....

I thought the defence as a whole coped pretty well with Bolton's physical play and we cut out quite a few crosses. Taylor and Cacapa were dominant and talking of Cacapa he had perhaps his best game for us today and we may see more like it under KK as he's a footballing centre-back. He played the ball out excellently at times. It's a start and something to build on anyway.

Guest Knightrider

Actually showed his strength well tonight up against Davies which is something he's been faulted for. Kk would have liked this: Near the end he rose high as if to power a header away which one of their players tried to anticipate by dropping off in the hope of picking it up but Cacapa just deftly flicked it wide to a Toon shirt to warm applause. He's a good footballer is Cacapa.

I don't think the fact we tried to pass it around more should be taken fro granted either. I think it allowed us more posession (albeit not very productive posession) which took a lot of pressure of our defence. Also, the fact that the defenders were forced to get more involved in the passing and build up play, meant they settled into the game quicker, were more tuned into the game and were more comfortable on the ball in general.

Allardyce's biggest problem was letting untested back fours, most of whom had never played in this league or even spoke the language, have pressure forced onto them. Keegan won't. Cacapa's a bloody good player, so's Enrique. I even have some hope for Rozehnal, but he's got a lot more work to do.

Allardyce's biggest problem was letting untested back fours, most of whom had never played in this league or even spoke the language, have pressure forced onto them. Keegan won't. Cacapa's a bloody good player, so's Enrique. I even have some hope for Rozehnal, but he's got a lot more work to do.

Exactly, its pointless having good defenders if they are having to defend for the whole of 90mins. It makes them look stupid.

Clean sheet is nice, but in all honesty, if there was one game we should get a clean sheet this season, this is the one. Look at the team Bolton fielded - did you really expect it would be a hard day at work for the defence?

Not saying the defence didn't do a good job, they did. Especially Cacapa.

The whole Cacapa thing is really pissing me off, especially as I live down south and you get the fans who have just heard about the Pompey game and roll off the "you really need to sort out that defence, especially that Cacapa" sooner of later I am gonna go postal and bring guns into the office! :lol:

Yep. I dount this backline will fluctuate until Beye and Faye come back, which is definitely a good thing. We've so desperately needed continuity in the backline, it's the only thing that's hampered the defense imo. There's some good palyers there.

we didn't defend,for the most part we just didn't let them have control of the ball

Precisely. I don't think i've seen us retain possession as well as we did today for a long time, and that's got nothing to do with their tactics. We've played against negative teams before and had little possession.

The fact that we had 70% of the possession, or whatever, for me, is good 'defending'. They can't score if you've got the ball.

we didn't defend,for the most part we just didn't let them have control of the ball

Precisely. I don't think i've seen us retain possession as well as we did today for a long time, and that's got nothing to do with their tactics. We've played against negative teams before and had little possession.

The fact that we had 70% of the possession, or whatever, for me, is good 'defending'. They can't score if you've got the ball.

yeh, we kept possession thought Roz was really good inthe centre, kept play flowing and regained posessionquite well.

Was a major plus seeing us regaining possession trying to work an opening rather than hope for one froma long ball, can really see the difference inthe team, if we boxed them in like we did today with Allardyce at the helm the ball would of been punted into the box on the hope that a ball would fall loose for one of our players, we'd end up losing possession very easily with Allardyces style which meant we were constantly trying to reagain possession again putting ourselves under unessary pressure.

Id like to see the ball worked from one flank to the other more often, play didnt get swtiched tht often from what i remember.

yeh, we kept possession thought Roz was really good inthe centre, kept play flowing and regained posessionquite well.

Was a major plus seeing us regaining possession trying to work an opening rather than hope for one froma long ball, can really see the difference inthe team, if we boxed them in like we did today with Allardyce at the helm the ball would of been punted into the box on the hope that a ball would fall loose for one of our players, we'd end up losing possession very easily with Allardyces style which meant we were constantly trying to reagain possession again putting ourselves under unessary pressure.

Id like to see the ball worked from one flank to the other more often, play didnt get swtiched tht often from what i remember.

re rozenhal....he played 2 fantastic attacking passes that ballack would have wanked over,done his defensve role excellently but he gave the ball away far too much...not slagging the lad off as he was out of position but putting things in perspective

Clean sheet is nice, but in all honesty, if there was one game we should get a clean sheet this season, this is the one. Look at the team Bolton fielded - did you really expect it would be a hard day at work for the defence?

Not saying the defence didn't do a good job, they did. Especially Cacapa.

I would say that the 2 Derby games were bankers for at least 1 clean sheet.... could Sam manage team to accomplish that ?

Based on that, keeping a clean sheet today would have been unlikely had Sam been in charge - assumption of course.

Its a small thing, and fans of other clubs would probably scoff, but I think this can be taken as a positive from today.

The whole Cacapa thing is really pissing me off, especially as I live down south and you get the fans who have just heard about the Pompey game and roll off the "you really need to sort out that defence, especially that Cacapa" sooner of later I am gonna go postal and bring guns into the office! :lol:

aye, Cacapa may be getting on a bit, but it's clear to me that he's a good and experienced defender.. as i've said before, fans in France still think of him very highly and if given the chance, most Lyon supporters would have him back right now..

he captained one of the best sides in european football for 5 years, which says something about his ability and mentality.