Africa Cup of Nations

Decky

Owusu who wasn't good enough for Arsenal and was shipped off to Spartak Moscow, now at Celta Vigo on loan. He looked decent in this tournament with the ball at his feet and when crossing.

Kept getting into trouble off the field while at Arsenal and so was sent on his way. Wasn't really due to a lack of ability.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the standard of goalkeeping in this tournament is awful?  They don't even move a lot of the time, and when they do, they look like they've never played GK before.  Can't catch or move quickly.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

mate, the standard of goalies we produce in Africa has always been pretty poor. We have produced wc strikers, midfielders and defenders but as a rule, not goalkeepers.

Who are the current best African 11? What do you think?

Drogba, Eto

Seydou Keita, Yaya Touré, Mahamadou Diarra,  Jean Makoun, Michael Essien

Kolo Toure, Joseph Yobo, Emmanuel Eboué

Vincent Enyeama??

vs Euopean 11

Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy

Rafael van der Vaart, Xavi Hernández, Wesley Sneijder, Cristiano Ronaldo

Patrice Evra, Fabio Cannavaro, Rio Ferdinand, Sergio Ramos

Iker Casillas

No doubt you will disagree about the selection. But the qeustion remains: African 11 vs European 11, who will win?

Benin coach Reinhard Fabisch says he was asked before the Squirrels' Africa Cup of Nations match against Mali if he would help fix the game's outcome.

Benin lost the Group B match 1-0 after conceding a second-half penalty.

Fabisch is willing to give the Confederation of African Football the name and number of the man who claimed to be from a Singapore-based company.

"He wanted to find out from me if there was any possibility of manipulating the match," Fabisch told BBC Sport.

"I told him: 'Look, you have two minutes to leave the hotel or I will call the police'."

Fabisch added that the man - a black African - spoke to him at the team's hotel on Saturday, two days before the Mali defeat.

The man said the company he represented claimed to be able to fix matches across Africa and planned to win money in bets on the tournament's opening goal.

The first goal of the Africa Cup of Nations was Ghana's penalty against Guinea on Sunday 20 January, a game the tournament hosts won 2-1.

"I was astonished that he had the guts to approach a German to fix a football match," said Fabisch.

"I think that African players are vulnerable to this kind of approach, because many of them don't have money.

"This is why poor countries like Benin are targeted.

"I cut him short and told him to leave. It doesn't help football.

"I assume that if someone approaches you like that, then they have that (money) in mind."

Subsequently Fabisch warned his players to tell him if they were approached.

Benin next play Ivory Coast in Sekondi on Friday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7207903.stm

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Who are the current best African 11? What do you think?

Drogba, Eto

Seydou Keita, Yaya Touré, Mahamadou Diarra,  Jean Makoun, Michael Essien

Kolo Toure, Joseph Yobo, Emmanuel Eboué

Vincent Enyeama??

vs Euopean 11

Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy

Rafael van der Vaart, Xavi Hernández, Wesley Sneijder, Cristiano Ronaldo

Patrice Evra, Fabio Cannavaro, Rio Ferdinand, Sergio Ramos

Iker Casillas

No doubt you will disagree about the selection. But the qeustion remains: African 11 vs European 11, who will win?

Theres no doubting that central midfield and striker is africa's strong point. Despite this, I would still go for a 4-4-2, as nigeria showed vs. Ivory Coast, just playing your best 11 players often results in nothing. I would go with:

-----------Kameni--------------

---Eboue(unfortunately)---Toure------Yobo-----Boka/the egyptian lb (his name escapes me but he impresses me every time I see him.)

---A. Hassan/Kingston-------Essien---------Diarra-------Abo-treika

-------------Drogba---------Eto'o--------------------

While a very strong team, I reckon S. America and Europes' 1st 11s would both beat this team. Too much technical ability for the africans.