John Burridge speaks: Kevin Keegan a great guy, but a bad coach

Guest exilim

From John Burridge:

I LOVE Kevin Keegan to death. I played with him at Newcastle, and was his goalkeepers' coach and reserve team coach when he was manager at St James' Park.

To this day, we remain close friends. He is a fabulous guy whose enthusiasm is infectious. His power of persuasion is legendary. I always tell Keegan he'll make a good car salesman. He has the ability to sell you an old piece of junk and make you feel like you've got a bargain.

Naturally, the Toon Army are delighted with his return as Newcastle manager. They never forget the exciting times they enjoyed during his first stint from 1992 to 1997. The Newcastle fans know happy days will soon be back again - but they also know they'll have to brace themselves for one hell of a roller-coasted ride.

Keegan is a very good football manager, but a poor coach. I have worked with him for many years and i can tell you he is a fantastic motivator. But when it comes to tactical knowledge and training, he falls short. During his earlier stint, training at Newcastle was very simple. The daily session involved the following: A good warm-up, two laps round the pitch, two-sides and shooting practice. Then it was back to the dressing room for a shower and that was it.

Attack

Keegan doesn't believe in defence. Not at all. He doesn't run his team through defence routines. He believes that the team that scores the most goals wins. He hasn't got any playing system. All he knows is attack. I attended countless Newcastle team-talks when Keegan was manager. There was no whiteboard in the dressing room, no tactical charts, only the day's team-list taped on the wall.

He would appear just two minutes before kick-off, point towards the opposition dressing room and scream: "Those guys are in the showers now thinking they're going to get beat 5-0 today. "Let's not disappoint them, shall we? Let's go out there and murder them. Swarm all over them and score as many goals as you lot like." That was it.

But Keegan said it with such fire and conviction that the players believed him. And they would go out there with only one thing on their mind - score goals. I remember sitting beside him on the Newcastle bench during matches, and watch in horror how we committed nine men to attack leaving only centre-half Darren Peacock and the goalkeeper guarding the rear.

I would scream at full-back John Beresford to track back in case we were caught in a counter-attack. But Keegan would shut me up saying: "Keep John up there. Why do you want him to get back for?"

"We're going to get caught in a three-on-one." I would protest. Keegan would reply: "Nah, if we concede, we'll just score another."

That's how he is. And that's what Newcastle fans can expect from him now that he's back in charge again. The Toon Army will have to be patient, however, as Keegan has inherited a team from Sam Allardyce.

Emotional

He is an emotional man who wears his heart on his sleeves. There were a few occasions after Newcastle lost a game, Keegan was sitting quietly by himself in the team bus, before suddenly breaking into tears. Yes, a grown man who was twice European Footballed of the Year crying because he lost a game.

Keegan would say he is passionate about the game. But it scared the hell out of the players to see their boss crying. A strong-headed character, he doesn't like anybody to question his team selection or decisions.  remember during the heat of the title race against Manchester United in 1996, when we were slowly losing out 12-point lead, I made a mistake by suggesting to him that maybe we should keep it tighter at the back.

Even though we are great mates, he snapped at me: "Don't you ever dare tell me what to do."  I never did it again. Personally, I feel that as a manager, one has to be a tower of strength to the players when the chips are down. By showing signs of breaking down, Keegan hardly instilled confidence in his players.

Everybody remembers that televised rant Keegan made at Alex Ferguson during the 1995/1996 title race. That was a perfect example of Keegan losing his cool when provoked. At the time, the players were affected by it and we never recovered. One can only hope history will not repeat itself.

Haha, brilliant. :lol:

That said, I'm sure Keegan has learnt a thing or 2 since Budgie was with him all those years back. Let's not forget that Newcastle was Keegan's first managerial appointment, and he's since been to Fulham, Man City and England. He's also had 3 years out of the game to think through what went wrong when he was a manager and what he might have done differently if he had his time again. Well he's got his time again now.

I don't think that nothing will have changed in all that time. Even if he can't sort out the defence himself, he'll doubtless get others in who can. Still a brilliant article into how things were the first time round.

get the right players and it's ok. ie sellars and speed were always aware enough to get into a position from which they could cover the break if beresford etc went forward.

what did burriidge want ? the back 4 to form a line in front of him and stay there ?

"Those guys are in the showers now thinking they're going to get beat 5-0 today. "Let's not disappoint them, shall we? Let's go out there and murder them. Swarm all over them and score as many goals as you lot like."

Absolute class.

I met John Burridge some years ago, I think he had just finished playing and I had cause to do some work at his house in Durham.  From the limited time I was with him I determined that he was a bullshitter and a bit of a plank while still being a perfectly nice man.  I would no more want to take a tactical assessment of a football match or manager from him than I would want to jump off the sea wall at Whitley Bay tonight!!

Thats nothing we didn't really know anyway. Keegans never been great on the tactical front. I think Burridge is actually complimenting him in the interview but who ever has published it has put a bad slant on it.

get the right players and it's ok. ie sellars and speed were always aware enough to get into a position from which they could cover the break if beresford etc went forward.

what did burriidge want ? the back 4 to form a line in front of him and stay there ?

I thought speed was signed by Dalglish and therefore never played for keegan?

Under Keegan we tended to play a 4-4-1-1 with two wingers and two fairly solid central midfielders. Not exactly an all out attacking system! He clearly understood that a team needs a solid base to attack from, he didn't just pack our team with attacking players, there were the likes of Batty and Bracewell there to do the dirty work and allow the attacking players to attack.

And for a team that supposedly couldn't defend we didn't conceded that many goals: 

93/94 - 41 (only 3 more than Man U, 5 more than Blackburn)

94/95 - 47

95/96 - 37 (only 2 more than Man U)

All of those seasons were played over 42 games. When we finished 3rd under Robson we conceded 48 in a 38 game season.

I thought speed was signed by Dalglish and therefore never played for keegan?

all i meant was that sort of player

Seeing as how Sam Allardyce is generally thought of as tactically proficient, I'm prepared to take my chances with KK, thanks very much.

:clap:

in a nutshell

Hope this is noted by people such as macca888 ............ and the cockney journos who are now shitting themselves that he does it again

Seeing as how Sam Allardyce is generally thought of as tactically proficient, I'm prepared to take my chances with KK, thanks very much.

:clap:

in a nutshell

Hope this is noted by people such as macca888 ............ and the cockney journos who are now shitting themselves that he does it again

nail on head

Guest mr quimbys beard

I met John Burridge some years ago, I think he had just finished playing and I had cause to do some work at his house in Durham.  From the limited time I was with him I determined that he was a bullshitter and a bit of a plank while still being a perfectly nice man.  I would no more want to take a tactical assessment of a football match or manager from him than I would want to jump off the sea wall at Whitley Bay tonight!!

He used to sell clothes and trainers from the back of a car with his son around the industrial estate near Durham City, he got caught if i remember correctly and was prosecuted, met him a few times and ya right, he is a plank and full of bullshit.