The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

Really does make you think, if you look at the players in our squad in the same light as they were regarded at their previous clubs, we really do potentially have a very good squad of players..... attacking wise! I'm pretty confident SA will get something out of the majority of them as well.

Owen - surplus to requirements even though fit

Martins - 4th choice striker

Viduka - money grabbing lazy c***

sort of like that you mean?

How about

Owen - Madrids best goal scorer before we got him

Martins - Loved by Inter fans

Viduka - Boro's best player

Really does make you think, if you look at the players in our squad in the same light as they were regarded at their previous clubs, we really do potentially have a very good squad of players..... attacking wise! I'm pretty confident SA will get something out of the majority of them as well.

How about

Owen - Real Madrids top scorer

Plus:

Duff - League winner and regular with Chelsea

Luque - Regarded as one of Depors best players

Barton - Arguably Man City's best player

Butt - Man Utd league winner, albeit not necessarily regular starter

Guest Moe-Ali

I'm very happy.

To be honest I've always thought that Luque has been treated harshly, hasn't really been given a huge opportunity to succeed.

By not having a honeymoon to stay and train shows he is committed, and interested in playing, something that he hasn't looked like at least in the last year.

how has he not looked committed?

i dont understand where people get this from

they act as though he skips practice

doesnt show up for matches

etc..

the man just needs a chance.

Providing we buy a solid left back, I would start the season with Luque on the left wing and stick with him.

n'zogbia will get his opportunity soon enough but its luques chance to show sam and us fans what he can do.

Guest Lefty Toon

Luque is going to destroy the premiership next season just you wait!

Hes going to set the league on fiyah, much like this

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1797/avatar729428zi8.gif

Brilliant !

Can we agree that if Luque flops under Big Sam's guidance then he is just not suited to the prem style of play?

As long as he is given a fair shot, yes we can.

He started off very promisingly in his first game, but then got injured for quite a while, and for some reason or another never really came back with the promise that he did show in that first game.

If he can get back to somewhere near his Depor form, he will be useful to have in the squad

I'm very happy.

To be honest I've always thought that Luque has been treated harshly, hasn't really been given a huge opportunity to succeed.

By not having a honeymoon to stay and train shows he is committed, and interested in playing, something that he hasn't looked like at least in the last year.

how has he not looked committed?

i dont understand where people get this from

they act as though he skips practice

doesnt show up for matches

etc..

the man just needs a chance.

I was more referring to the looking interested in playing part.

He's seemed disinterested, and I do realise we don't know fully what goes on behind the scenes but they are just my observations.

I hope the man does get a chance, one feels it will be his last one though. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

Not going to happen though. Luque is not a squad player. If he regains his form, he'll be first-choice because he was that good, if not, he'll be out in the cold as he was with Souness towards the end and Roeder. There won't be a mid-way point...and it's the latter that seems most likely to me.

Seems pointless arguing about this one any more but I've actually got a feeling he might turn out alright. I think Sam'll be a lot more patient and understanding than Roeder ever was, and will look to bring him into the team under the right circumstances. It's probably Sam's biggest asset, his handling of difficult foreigners who have lost their way.

Look at what happened to Butt, I was one of his biggest critics after his first season here. He was absolutely rubbish and looked very disinterested. He then went on loan to Birmingham and helped them get relegated with a string of crap performances. Me and many others thought we'd been vindicated and saw no way back for him, he had to go. But he stayed and went on to become one of the players of the season, people have even suggested he be given the captain's armband. And I personally believe it was kickstarted by those two goals against Villarreal. It was only a friendly but we were 3-1 down and everybody had the glass half empty view of our squad, until up popped Butt with two headers in 2 mins and we drew. Not only was that a huge confidence boost for him, but it cut him quite a bit of slack with the fans.

That's all it takes for Luque to get his confidence back and a bit of slack from the fans, a couple of goals. Sam's right when he says it may be a lost cause, but he's paid handsomely to try and get every last drop of effort and quality out of Luque, something Roeder never did.

Sam turned Dioufs career around,whose career couldnt he turn around after that animal!

Roeder never gave luque a chance even after he a decent game against Palmero and he scored the winner in that game as well!But never got look in again!

I mean how many chances did Shitus Shambles get???

with Duff injured, Luque is the best option we have in a left-sided attacking role

wrote off his career here 5 months ago when Caroll was played ahead of him at Portsmouth. Hope I was very, very wrong. I still have a home shirt with Luque 20 on it

I've never written him off since he joined, I always hoped he'd get his chance and a good run of games but that never happened, especially under Glenn the muppet.

I'd be over the fucking moon to see him play on the left for us, playing a solid run of games and involved in some goals, would make my heart melt day

I still believe!  :notworthy:

Down to him and charlie to battle it out for the left wing spot.

Mind you, just depends on which formation we play.

442- Competes with the Zog and possibly Milner whilst duff is out.

433- Definate option for the left hand side of a front three.

Isnt good for Away games in a 442 because he is an attacker, like with Souness and Robert, Roeder wanted Luque to be alot more defensive minded.

Im looking forward to seeing him over the pre season and beyond, he will definately get his chance, its all down to him now.

How about

Owen - Madrids best goal scorer before we got him

I think Ronaldo might have something to say about that.

Down to him and charlie to battle it out for the left wing spot.

Mind you, just depends on which formation we play.

442- Competes with the Zog and possibly Milner whilst duff is out.

433- Definate option for the left hand side of a front three.

Isnt good for Away games in a 442 because he is an attacker, like with Souness and Robert, Roeder wanted Luque to be alot more defensive minded.

Im looking forward to seeing him over the pre season and beyond, he will definately get his chance, its all down to him now.

ha ha! Here's hoping not.

Sam will not be able to add 5 yards of pace to Luque's game or the courage needed to compete in the PL. I have not seen any player knocked so easily off the ball as Luque & he tackles like a coward.

He is a player who needs time on the ball & protection from referees; he aint going to get that in PL. I would love to see him do well but that aint going to happen either.

Watching Luque warm up is soul destroying. Match after match I have watched him trot up & down the line in front of me clearing going through the motions. He has a contract until 2010! We need him out. ASAP.

Sam will not be able to add 5 yards of pace to Luque's game or the courage needed to compete in the PL. I have not seen any player knocked so easily off the ball as Luque & he tackles like a coward.

He is a player who needs time on the ball & protection from referees; he aint going to get that in PL. I would love to see him do well but that aint going to happen either.

Watching Luque warm up is soul destroying. Match after match I have watched him trot up & down the line in front of me clearing going through the motions. He has a contract until 2010! We need him out. ASAP.

This.

Only i see him warming up from an angle, rather than right in front of me.

Don't you think that a lot of the stuff mentioned was due to a lack of confidence though? I mean the pace, fair enough, he's looked sluggish, but he has the skill to make up for it.

The losing the ball easily and tackling like a ponce is definitely due to lack of confidence IMO though. When the attitude is right, and he wants to play, I can imagine that improving 100%.

He has been treated really harshly, he has been frozen out because we haven't been able to fit him in. All we've done in the last few years is lose (most of the time) meaning the fans are getting restless and demanding a win, and in that situation it was hard for Luque to get into the team.

Give him a chance.

I see your point about him warming up, but I probably wouldn't be flying up and down the line warming up whole heartedly when I know that its more than likely I won't be going on.

Its a vicious cycle at the end of the day, Luque doesn't want to bother because he thinks he won't be given a chance anyway, and Roeder doesn't want to give him a chance because he isn't trying.

Hopefully that will change this season.

I see your point about him warming up, but I probably wouldn't be flying up and down the line warming up whole heartedly when I know that its more than likely I won't be going on.

Its a vicious cycle at the end of the day, Luque doesn't want to bother because he thinks he won't be given a chance anyway, and Roeder doesn't want to give him a chance because he isn't trying.

Hopefully that will change this season.

Aye, quite correct there.

If anyone can get the best out of Luque its Big Sam.

Personally, I'm looking forward to him getting an extended run in the side.

He will get his chance in the pre-season like everyone else, its upto him now to show he can cutt it. Work hard in training and gets tucj in if he gets a game, I am sure Sam will give him a fair chance to prove himself.

This.

Only i see him warming up from an angle, rather than right in front of me.

He is in front me; running up & down at between say a 45 to 90 degree angle to the front of me, depending upon his running position on the cinder track. OK?

......and no matter what angle I see him from he looks like he couldn't give a sh*t. If Sam can make a decent PL player out of him he will deserve a medal. Confidence will not give him pace & I really don't think it will give him courage either. The 30 minutes or so he played against Manure on his debut was deeply disappointing; he clearly wasn't a winger & ducked out of every challenge.