The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

I'd agree that there's a problem with the strikers.

I'd play Smith as a target man. He's not ideal, but he's better in that role than Viduka, who's very slow and can get completely dominated by a good centre back.

For the more withdrawn striker, I'd have Duff. Martins and Owen are finishers and aren't creative enough for the rest of the team to play away from the front line.

Guest The Libertine

Martins is class.

Poor management, s*** service and lack of consistant/talented strike partners have severly held him back. Get some good service and an attacking impetous you will see him flourish.

However, he does need a partner.

add 2 very bad injuries to that list and the same could be said about owen.

Guest toonlass

If it were up to me I would ship out Owen, Smith and Ameobi right now and get them replaced by Bent, Bentley and Bentleyley.

O0

;D

I wonder how many people are left that still think we need defenders and have been saying so for the last 18 months or so .......

Aye, I'm sure Ramage, Bramble and friends would have done us much prouder today. :idiot2:

Do you post anything that's not trying to score points?

Sometimes. Its a fact Dave, that for all the 7 defenders or so that have came into the club, we aren't performing any better.

I think shaks post is excellent

We needed cunting defenders. Whether they're defending any better is down to the manager; we still fucking needed defenders.

that is true, but we are talking about the shape and setup of the team. We qualified for the Champions League with players like Hughes, Bramble and O'Brien playing in defence.

totally disagree....our main priortity aprt from a classy center back should be a creative goalscoring midfielder...someone who'l excite the crowd, create chances and score goals....but who the feck is that player because i can't think of any!! Any suggestions?

totally disagree....our main priortity aprt from a classy center back should be a creative goalscoring midfielder...someone who'l excite the crowd, create chances and score goals....but who the feck is that player because i can't think of any!! Any suggestions?

Maradona

The problem with getting a striker as our priority is creating anything for him, ideally we need a centre mid and a right wing first Imo.

We need a few new players and hopfully the new spin from mission central (having trouble finding better than what we have) is designed to breathe new life and confidence into our dunces rather than the actual reality.

Not sure we should really be buying Woodgate.

Guest The Libertine

jason koumas  :coolsmiley:

genuinely.

I wonder how many people are left that still think we need defenders and have been saying so for the last 18 months or so .......

Aye, I'm sure Ramage, Bramble and friends would have done us much prouder today. :idiot2:

Sometimes. Its a fact Dave, that for all the 7 defenders or so that have came into the club, we aren't performing any better.

We needed c****** defenders. Whether they're defending any better is down to the manager; we still f****** needed defenders.

we certainly did, had we not brought them in then the general consenus now would be we need defenders, thats not what people are saying now, now we need creative players, all this point scoring is fucking pointless, just go and have a wank tbh

We needed cunting defenders. Whether they're defending any better is down to the manager; we still fucking needed defenders.

that is true, but we are talking about the shape and setup of the team. We qualified for the Champions League with players like Hughes, Bramble and O'Brien playing in defence.

Point taken. I'm just sick of people going on with this whole 'I told you so' shit. Your initial post suggested I, for one, was wrong by suggesting we needed to buy some defenders in the summer. A reminder:

We ended the season with:

Bramble (contract expired)

Moore (contract expired)

Onyewu (loan expired)

Bernard (health expired)

Leaving us with:

Ramage

Huntington

Babayaro

Edgar

Taylor

We needed to buy some defenders. The fact the shape is still shite and the better indivduals are still not performing doesn't mean I was wrong to want some defenders in the door.

We needed c****** defenders. Whether they're defending any better is down to the manager; we still f****** needed defenders.

we certainly did, had we not brought them in then the general consenus now would be we need defenders, thats not what people are saying now, now we need creative players, all this point scoring is fucking pointless, just go and have a wank tbh

and every time we lose a game there are people blaming Alan Smith and saying how right they were ? The difference is what exactly ?

FWIW, if I get a judgment wrong, I'll say so, thats not point scoring. And I wouldn't accuse someone disagreing with me of point scoring.

We need forwards. We have needed to replace Shearer and Bellamy ever since they left. Owen could have done part of the job if he hadn't been injured, alongside a quality partner that suited him. So nothing has changed.

we need a striker, a berbatov type. it is not an urgent requirement but something we should try and get in the summer. but we also need players in a bunch of other positions. generally we have players who can score and there's a couple of good partnerships out of Viduka, Martins, Smith and Owen. the problem is creating chances for them, so the top priority are creative midfielders. also need an imposing midfielder comfortable on the ball, and a top class centre-half.

anyone thinking we didn't need defenders last summer is crazy, we had Taylor, Carr and Babayaro as our only senior defenders! none of them are good enough to be first team, one is injury-prone and an other a permanent invalid whose contract we have since terminated. fact is we had to bring in bodies and you can't escape from that.

Added bonus of pissing of the scum if we did sign Jones, has to be worth it just for that. :D

agree on jones! looked fantastic against us, kinda lika an unmolded drogba (not actually comaring the skills though) but he has some of the movement and looks a bit like drogba and adebayour.

In my opinion we reallyneed a DM, badly. Watched Cacapa play most the second half, in a DM position because he kept on being drawn out. Butt was alrite in the first half, and it showed because we werent being overun. I still think we have the good partnership in there, we just need to be able to retain possession better and get it back.

Added bonus of pissing of the scum if we did sign Jones, has to be worth it just for that. :D

agree on jones! looked fantastic against us, kinda lika an unmolded drogba (not actually comaring the skills though) but he has some of the movement and looks a bit like drogba and adebayour.

I fucking hate strikers like Jones and Drogba. The emphasis on having one battering ram centre forward and just playing him up top is ruining the modern game IMO and ruining the art of actual goalscoring. If Shearer was coming through now he'd probably just be played up front by himself instead of with a partner due to how powerful he was.

I fucking hate strikers like Jones and Drogba. The emphasis on having one battering ram centre forward and just playing him up top is ruining the modern game IMO and ruining the art of actual goalscoring. If Shearer was coming through now he'd probably just be played up front by himself instead of with a partner due to how powerful he was.

I love the way Fergie has shunned it, persists with Rooney and Tevez and gets it to work as well.

genuinely.

Jesus wept. Genuinely.

I love the way Fergie has shunned it, persists with Rooney and Tevez and gets it to work as well.

:thup:

Being a natural goalscorer is such a fine art, there was nothing better than watching someone like Romario 1 vs 1 with the keeper, yet players like this are getting phased out of the modern game as they don't offer enough.

I must say, I thought Tevez and Rooney were too similar and said it when he went but Ferguson has got it working. Agree with some of the sentiments about players like Jones and Drogba, although I think they're both good players (Drogba being better obviously).

I must say, I thought Tevez and Rooney were too similar and said it when he went but Ferguson has got it working. Agree with some of the sentiments about players like Jones and Drogba, although I think they're both good players (Drogba being better obviously).

Aye that's what I thought as well, but both players seem to know each other's games and due to how intelligent they both are it's working a treat for them.

Guest The Libertine

genuinely.

Jesus wept. Genuinely.

was probably wigans best player for the short time he was on today and is more attack minded and creative than any of our current CM's. wouldnt cost much either.

I'm not sure I'd class Drogba as a battering ram, tbh. The man's class and strong as an ox.

Aye he is but that's the style of forward he is man.

Fuck this, I'm off to watch some Gerd Muller and Romario videos, have a little cry then maybe even a wank afterwards.

I'm not sure I'd class Drogba as a battering ram, tbh. The man's class and strong as an ox.

Aye he is but that's the style of forward he is man.

Fuck this, I'm off to watch some Gerd Muller and Romario videos, have a little cry then maybe even a wank afterwards.

He's not, it's just what Chelsea made him, he was soft as shite when he first signed for them and the thought of him playing such a physical game was unthinkable.