Martins breaks ranks to attack Allardyce reign

EthiGeordie

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/martins-breaks-ranks-to-attack-allardyce-reign-774614.html

It is the body language as much as the words that tell the story. Obafemi Martins did his best to be diplomatic but he made it clear enough that, while others celebrate the arrival of Kevin Keegan at Newcastle, he is relieved at the departure of Sam Allardyce. "I don't like talking against people," the Nigeria centre-forward said, "but if something is not right, you have to change it."

As far as he was concerned, something was very definitely not right at St James' Park. "I cannot say I have good memories [of my time under Allardyce]," he said, "but I cannot say I have bad memories. If the manager's not doing very well, of course they will let him go. That's life – it's like that. If the fans don't want him there, he shouldn't be there." :clap:

Martins began the season in fine style, scoring two within half an hour as Newcastle won 3-1 at Bolton, but he was substituted midway through the second half, a move that for him set a depressing pattern. Although he has featured in 21 Premier League games this season, Martins has played the full 90 minutes in only five and, while he has managed a total of seven goals in all competitions, he has not scored since 8 December.

"I think I should have played more," he said. "A centre-forward is there to score goals... and since I was not playing, I was not that happy. I don't know why he didn't pick me. He wanted to play some other players: that was his choice. I never talked to the manager. I never knew anything."

He was not happy either in the role in which Allardyce used him. "We have good players who can play, but when I am playing on the right wing it makes it difficultto play. I think that's why we weren't playing that good."

While the local media on Tyneside can be demanding, it is nothing compared to the Nigerian press corps. With defeat to Ivory Coast in the opening game leaving Nigeria facing an embarrassingly early elimination from the African Nations Cup, Martins again finds himself in an underperforming side facing disgruntled fans. This time, though, the attention is more personal. In Africa it's different," he said. "If the players aren't doing well, they don't blame the coach, they blame the players. In Europe it's totally different; if players aren't doing well, they blame the coach."

Nigeria have not won the Cup since 1994 – they have been third at each of the past three tournaments. "The problem is that Nigerians want the Cup so much that there is great pressure right now."

The parallels with Newcastle, without a domestic trophy since 1955, are obvious. Only a hugely charismatic figure could handle such expectation, and Martins is optimistic that Keegan is that man. "Everybody loves Keegan," he said, "especially the fans."

Guest The Libertine

"In Europe it's totally different; if players aren't doing well, they blame the coach."

an interesting omission, given the context of the article.

Guest The Libertine

Is this the same Obi Martins who said that he'd be at Newcastle as long as Allardyce was manager?

"if Sam Allardyce is here for five years, I will be here for five years also. That is how much I enjoy playing for him. I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere while Sam is here.”

:rolleyes:

Is this the same Obi Martins who said that he'd be at Newcastle as long as Allardyce was manager?

Clearly talking Allardyce up to try and gain favour.

Changing one's mind not allowed at Newcastle.

Or on this board, for that matter.

From henceforth, every word I type shall be set in stone. Please point out that I'm fickle shall I do otherwise.

one of the most annoying things in football - players talking up the manager when they obviously think he's shite then the moment he's gone telling the real story

couldn't be any other way really, but still irks me 'cause you always can tell when a manager is not liked/failing....

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Next year:

"I cannot say I have good memories [of my time under Keegan]," he said, "but I cannot say I have bad memories. If the manager's not doing very well, of course they will let him go. That's life – it's like that.

Oba tried all ways to get up Sam's arse so he would play him :lol:, I am sure Kk will give Oba a fair crack at showing what he can do when he returns..

He's exactly the kind of player that will shine under KK tbh.

Why do people keep saying that? How come Martins has never shone under any other manager?

Oba tried all ways to get up Sam's arse so he would play him :lol:, I am sure Kk will give Oba a fair crack at showing what he can do when he returns..

Why do people keep saying that? How come Martins has never shone under any other manager?

The manager's he has played under at Newcastle have been poor at best, he shone quite a few times under Roeder i might add.

Keegan liked Asprilla and there were similar criticisms of him back then. I am pretty sure Keegan will see the good side of Martins game not just the negatives. Fast, packs a decent shot and not bad in the air for a small guy.

Oba did very very well in his first season here, he showed alot of promise scored some good goals, spent a little time out injured and that under a shite manager.

I have faith KK will get Oba playing at his very best..