The Times: New "Continental" Setup at NUFC (Wise, Jimenez, Vetere)

Rich

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment." I thought that was implying they would select the players and Keegan would work with the team.

Vetere and the other scouts will identify young players for the academy and potential players for the first team. The latter group will be presented to Keegan who will say whether or not he wants them. If he says yes then Wise and Jimenez will set about recruiting the player. (presumably)

How do you think Keegan found out about players like Asprilla, Ginola, Barton, Albert, Gillespie etc?  It's called a scouting network.

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment." I thought that was implying they would select the players and Keegan would work with the team.

to me it means they will help in the assessing and acquisition of players with keegan.

Vetere and the other scouts will identify young players for the academy and potential players for the first team. The latter group will be presented to Keegan who will say whether or not he wants them. If he says yes then Wise and Jimenez will set about recruiting the player. (presumably)

How do you think Keegan found out about players like Asprilla, Ginola, Barton, Albert, Gillespie etc?  It's called a scouting network.

No shit.

to me it means they will help in the assessing and acquisition of players with keegan.

to be fair you could take it either way, depending on if your positive or negative about the idea.

to be fair you could take it either way, depending on if your positive or negative about the idea.

more based on i couldnt see keegan stopping more than 1 day if he wasn't the main yes or no in bringing in players

Didn't Keegan say he was against the idea when he was suggested as Director of football under Allardyce? That's what worries me.

more based on i couldnt see keegan stopping more than 1 day if he wasn't the main yes or no in bringing in players

i agree, iam just saying if someone is negative about the idea iam sure they could take those words to say keegan will have no say in who we sign

Didn't Keegan say he was against the idea when he was suggested as Director of football under Allardyce? That's what worries me.

I think he told Mort that he'd have to discuss it with Allardyce as he was the manager at the time.

And Newcastle have also put a £300,000 offer on the table for one of Italian club Atalanta's most promising young players, in a move recommended by incoming United technical director Jeff Vetere.

Interesting.

Very interesting.

Hope we get them, Its obvious Newcastle have trying to base the club on Arsenals set up.

do you honestly think, when Keegan was appointed that any of this was not mentioned to him?

do you honestly think, when Keegan was appointed that any of this was not mentioned to him?

Tbh it was probably a factor in KK coming here. Newcastle seem to be moving in the right direction and KK wanted to be part of it.

I asked a question, Keegan said that a director of football puts the manager under unnecessary pressure only 4 months ago? Do you honestly think he's changed his mind since then?

I asked a question, Keegan said that a director of football puts the manager under unnecessary pressure only 4 months ago? Do you honestly think he's changed his mind since then?

Quite clearly he has, as when he was told about these plans 2 weeks ago he has agreed to be part of it and signed up to it

Newcastle confirm Wise role

New man is executive director

By Graeme Bailey  Last updated: 29th January 2008

Tuesday's Premier League Action

Home Treble - Arsenal, Middlesbrough and Bolton all to win on Tuesday - 4/1.

Place your first bet and we'll match it up to £20.

Wise: Director role

This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the club as manager.

Chris Mort

Newcastle United have confirmed Dennis Wise's role at St James' Park will be that of executive director.

Wise quit Leeds United on Monday to take up a new position with Newcastle and the club have now confirmed his title.

Newcastle have confirmed Wise alongside two further additions to their management structure.

Tony Jimenez has been confirmed as vice-president - but he will play a major part in player recruitment along with new technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere.

Chairman Chris Mort has insisted that manager Kevin Keegan was fully aware of the new appointments - after reports suggested he was shocked by the move for Wise.

Vision

"This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the club as manager," said Mort.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the club, were that the club would benefit from having a football person involved at board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first-team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United football club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

Quite clearly he has, as when he was told about these plans 2 weeks ago he has agreed to be part of it and signed up to it

Was he?

Assisting the board with football matters. Helping them get the players in which "KK" wants and helping get young players for the academy.

Was he?

IMO its quite clear he was

Assisting the board with football matters. Helping them get the players in which "KK" wants and helping get young players for the academy.

I hope that's how it works.