The Times: New "Continental" Setup at NUFC (Wise, Jimenez, Vetere)

Rich

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment." I thought that was implying they would select the players and Keegan would work with the team.

to me it means they will help in the assessing and acquisition of players with keegan.

to be fair you could take it either way, depending on if your positive or negative about the idea.

Didn't Keegan say he was against the idea when he was suggested as Director of football under Allardyce? That's what worries me.

do you honestly think, when Keegan was appointed that any of this was not mentioned to him?

I asked a question, Keegan said that a director of football puts the manager under unnecessary pressure only 4 months ago? Do you honestly think he's changed his mind since then?

Gabby Logan: You've been linked with DOF, Mike Ashley has mentioned your name and obviously Sam Allardyce didn't seem so keen so is that the kind of thing you're alluding too? You would never go into anywhere?

Keegan: I think it's absolutely impossible to give Sam Allardyce a job at Newcastle United and then go and fetch somebody who for whatever reason is some sort of threat, it doesn't work, Sam would be a fool to let it happen, the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it and the chairman, who's not a fool, would be a fool to try and do it.

Dear me, you're as bad as the mirror..  Obviously he doesn't see Wise as a threat..

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment." I thought that was implying they would select the players and Keegan would work with the team.

to me it means they will help in the assessing and acquisition of players with keegan.

to be fair you could take it either way, depending on if your positive or negative about the idea.

Didn't Keegan say he was against the idea when he was suggested as Director of football under Allardyce? That's what worries me.

do you honestly think, when Keegan was appointed that any of this was not mentioned to him?

I asked a question, Keegan said that a director of football puts the manager under unnecessary pressure only 4 months ago? Do you honestly think he's changed his mind since then?

Gabby Logan: You've been linked with DOF, Mike Ashley has mentioned your name and obviously Sam Allardyce didn't seem so keen so is that the kind of thing you're alluding too? You would never go into anywhere?

Keegan: I think it's absolutely impossible to give Sam Allardyce a job at Newcastle United and then go and fetch somebody who for whatever reason is some sort of threat, it doesn't work, Sam would be a fool to let it happen, the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it and the chairman, who's not a fool, would be a fool to try and do it.

Dear me you're as bad as the Mirror..

Is what I said wrong in any way?

It's on youtube if you can be bothered to go and look it up.

Is what I said wrong in any way?

It's on youtube if you can be bothered to go and look it up.

I didn't say any of the quotes were false, that's not generally how the rags do things anyway.  I assumed you were trying to say Keegan couldn't really be happy with this situation, something that comment obviously doesn't prove for a second.  Looking at your following post I don't think you meant that now anyway so forget it.

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan believes the appointment of Dennis Wise as executive director can only benefit the club.

Wise quit his role as manager of Leeds to join the new management structure at St James' Park, where he will advise the club's board on new signings.

Keegan believes the former England midfielder's knowledge of the game will be of huge benefit as they attempt to make the club a Premier League force once again.

Intelligent

He told Sky Sports: "I'm looking forward to working with him. He's going to help me do the job better. Everyone's got their views on Dennis, but he's an intelligent guy.

"He does know football. On the board, at that level, we've got somebody who knows the game helping to recruit players and that's something the club needs.

"With great respect to the other directors, their knowledge of football isn't anything like at some clubs. I think they've realised that and they've appointed somebody who can help them in that respect and someone who can help us.

"The more good young players they can bring to the club, the quicker we'll turn it round."

Keegan was speaking in the wake of the 3-0 Premier League defeat by Arsenal, which marked the return of Joey Barton to footballing action after his off-field troubles over the New Year when he was charged with assault and affray.

Security

The Magpies manager was delighted to have Barton back in his side, and believes he has turned over a new leaf.

He said: "He went on and gave us a bit of security in midfield, a little bit of drive and enthusiasm. Joey's now just got to let his football do the talking. I think you'll see a new Joey Barton now.

"He's had a tough time, he's done some silly things. But he's turned himself around and we're going to help him."

It was the Magpies' second 3-0 defeat at Emirates Stadium in the space of four days, coming hot on the heels of Saturday's FA Cup fourth round exit.

Keegan added: "Just like Saturday, 3-0 looks like a hammering, but I thought we showed a lot of character here tonight.

"You can look back at odd decisions, the third goal for them was definitely offside. And at 1-0 when the game was evenly balanced, Michael Owen was given offside when he's not.

"It looks like you're whinging when you say that, but they're facts. And they change matches."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3091267,00.html

NE5 will be absolutely seething now that a DOF system is in place for the club he "supports". But I think he has secretly withdrawn his support after Shepherd was sacked.

Waiting for a post full of smilies claiming I am bla bla bla.

NE5 will be absolutely seething now that a DOF system is in place for the club he "supports". But I think he has secretly withdrawn his support after Shepherd was sacked.

Oh no you don't.

Oh no you don't.

Delete, delete, delete!!

Guest newcastle4life

Good luck to them if they can do a good job brilliant, time will tell if bringing them in was the correct decision.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Read in the Chronicle that we are signing an Italian youngster from Atalanta for an initial £300,000 with Vetere behind the deal. Anyone any ideas?

Not surprising that they have their wires crossed for a change as he is an Argie (thats if there is even anything in it?)

http://www.rivals.net/news/pgarticle.aspx?artid=2483_3088085

Incoming? Fernando Tissone

By Ken Waugh - 29/01/2008 13:44

Rumours out of Italy suggest we are tabling a bid for Argentinian FernandoTissone.

Another story that may be just another rumour but here he is anyway...

Fernando Tissone is an Argentine football midfielder. He was born on July 24, 1986, in the city of Quilmes in the Buenos Aires Province of Argentina. He currently plays for Atalanta B.C. in Serie A in Italy.

Tissone started his football career in the youth system of Independiente before moving across Buenos Aires to join Lanús. After making only one appearance for Lanús, Tissone was scouted by Italian side Udinese Calcio.

He joined Udinese in 2004 and made 30 appearances for the club, mainly as a substitute. In 2006 he was signed by fellow Italian team Atalanta.

Sid Lowe and Sachin Nakrani

Wednesday January 30, 2008

Guardian Unlimited

He may not be a household name within English football circles but Jeff Vetere is held in high regard at Spain's biggest club and could well prove to the most valuable of Newcastle United's latest batch of coaching recruits.

Staff at Real Madrid's Valdebebas HQ speak extremely highly of Newcastle's newest head of player recruitment, both personally and professionally. An Englishman who is fluent in Spanish, French and Italian, Vetere spent four months at Madrid under the technical director, Miguel Angel Portugal, and the club's director of international football, the former Barcelona and Rayo Vallecano goalkeeper Julen Lopetegui. His role was to help the Spanish club scout and sign the best talents across the world.

It was a glamorous role, particularly for a man whose playing career did not extend beyond being an apprentice at Luton Town and whose first serious coaching role was at non-league Rushden & Diamonds.

Vetere was brought to the Northamptonshire club by Brian Talbot soon after he became the manager there in 1997 to head up their newly established youth academy. Rushden were one of the first non-league sides to have such a set-up and Vetere, who Talbot had first heard of while managing the Maltese club side Marsaxlokk, was seen as having the credentials to develop and manage a potentially bright crop of young players.

Few players, however, emerged through Rushden's academy in the three years Vetere was there. The most notable was Andrew Burgess who has made more than 200 appearances for the club since 1999 and is now in his second spell there. But the midfielder speaks highly of the man who nurtured his career. "I was not surprised that Jeff [Vetere] ended up at Real Madrid because the guy is a walking encyclopedia of footballing knowledge," Burgess said. "Mention the name of any footballer and he will tell you who he has played for, how many goals he has scored and even what size boots he wears."

Vetere next moved to Charlton Athletic where his official role was overseas coordinator but day-to-day involvement included working with the youth team. The full-back Grant Basey, who broke into the first team last year at the age of 19, has credited Vetere with his development.

Having worked with him at Charlton, Alan Curbishley brought Vetere to West Ham in January last year to work as a part-time overseas scout. He was snapped up by Madrid at the end of the season and is now one of Newcastle's latest signings. Vetere, in turn, will be hoping to make some significant signings of his own.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2249017,00.html

David Hytner

Wednesday January 30, 2008

The Guardian

The revelation that Tony Jimenez had landed the post of vice-president (player recruitment) at Newcastle United brought a degree of incredulity within the English game yesterday. Surprise was articulated in expletives while a recurrent theme was that Jimenez might be a "good bloke" but where was his football background? "I'm amazed that he has been entrusted with player recruitment," said one agent. "He knows nothing about football."

Jimenez, an executive season-ticket holder at Chelsea who has built a network of contacts in football, men whose knowledge cannot be questioned, would argue that his skills lie elsewhere. The 42-year-old would fall down if an old professional asked him to "show us your medals" but when he opens up his black book and dials numbers throughout Europe, he makes things happen.

A fixer in the mould of Pini Zahavi, the so-called super-agent, Jimenez is essentially a businessman and agent. He used to be a director of Casa Sports Holdings Ltd, a sports management and promotion company, whose clients have included Celestine Babayaro, the former Chelsea and Newcastle defender. Jimenez moved and shook in the international transfer market before it exploded into a multimillion-pound industry. There are few people he cannot reach and his likeability and capacity to get things done have helped him to win the trust of prominent people.

They do not come much more prominent than Mike Ashley and Paul Kemsley, the Newcastle owner and the former Tottenham director, who are lifelong friends and have welcomed Jimenez into their circle. While Ashley made his fortune in the retail business, it has been property for Kemsley and here Jimenez has much in common. He is a millionaire because of a series of property developments, which have included hotels and golf courses in Spain and Dubai. The trio have worked on business deals and in football.

Jimenez was born in Brixton, south London, and lives in Kent but he comes from a Spanish family, who hail from Seville, and his fluency in Spanish and knowledge of the city of Seville saw him play a part in Tottenham's move for Juande Ramos. He also helped to install Gus Poyet as Ramos' Tottenham assistant. He forged a friendship with Poyet when the Uruguayan was at Chelsea, having entered from the fringes to become a recognisable face at Stamford Bridge. He became close not only to Poyet but also to Dennis Wise. He is described as "one of the lads". Alongside his friend Wise, Newcastle's new executive director of football, the middle man has moved to become the main man.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2248996,00.html

• 3 weeks later...

Charlton focus on Ivorian future

Young English footballers do not posses the same motivation to succeed as their African counterparts, according to the Charlton chief executive Peter Varney.

Charlton's partnership with one of the most famous football academies in Africa, Asec Mimosas, has enabled them to sign five players from Ivory Coast.

"These players have a natural hunger to be successful because that secures their future," Varney told BBC Sport.

"Perhaps the difference here is that, materially, kids have it all too soon."

Charlton are entitled to feel they pulled off a major coup by agreeing a deal with the west African-based club in May 2006.

Currently playing in the Ivorian Premier Division in Abidjan - the largest city in Ivory Coast - the club was founded by the former France international Jean-Marc Guillou in 1993 and has produced the likes of Arsenal's Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue, Tottenham's Didier Zokora and Chelsea's Salomon Kalou.

Fourteen of the academy's past and present players were members of the Ivory Coast squad at the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

Under the terms of the agreement, Charlton are part-funding the academy and will host two footballing visits per year in exchange for first refusal on emerging players.

"It's the best academy in Africa," said Varney. "The whole programme is completely different to Europe in the way they deal with the players' education and their training.

"They live on-site and the coaches work on the technical development of the players far more than we perhaps do in this country - I think we could learn a lot from it.

"We invest, and actually part-finance, their academy to make sure it continues to exist and then there is an arrangement by which we can take the better players and give them the opportunity to play with our other partners around Europe."

Asec's first visit to south London took place this week when a selection of the first team squad, preparing for the start of the African Champions League, took on a Charlton reserve side at the Championship club's training ground.

Two of the five players Charlton have signed, 18-year-old striker Gohi Bi Cyriac and 19-year-old midfielder Deble Serge, were on display for the visitors and Serge opened the scoring with a stunning second-half strike.

There was little to chose between the two sides for much of the match but Asec's superior technical ability, strength and stamina shone through in the latter stages and their 2-0 win was sealed when right-back Alli N'Dri swept home a clinical move.

"We are all fortunate to be in this academy so we work hard," says Asec's 18-year-old centre-half Troh Cesar, who idolises Arsenal's Toure.

"It would be a dream to play in the English Premier League and I would love to play for Arsenal like Kolo."

Charlton's signings are all registered to the Football Association in England but are, or will be, placed at clubs in European countries whose work permit regulations are less stringent.

Defender Soro Bakary has been farmed out to Germinal Beerschot in Belgium while forward Ismael Beko Fofana and midfielder Konan Serge Kouadio are playing for Norwegian side Fredrikstad.

When the players qualify for a European passport, a process which usually takes two years, they should be eligible to join up with Charlton.

With the emergence of African nations at the various tournaments over the years we feel Africa is definitely part of the master plan for the globe," said Varney.

"But we can't compete with the top clubs in terms of signing players for the here and now so the strategy was to get associations with a number of clubs in key territories around the world and get in at academy level so that the best players can come to us."

Such thinking has resulted in Charlton establishing partnerships with clubs such as Valencia in Spain, Shandong Lunend in China and Ajax Cape Town in South Africa.

"This isn't about Charlton getting three players from the Ivory Coast next week," said Varney.

"This is something we will look back on in four or five years time and somebody will say Charlton had the vision to set this structure up around the world and from that have come these players who they didn't paying huge fees for.

"If you're signing a Didier Drogba or a Kalou when they're the finished article Charlton aren't able to compete in that market. By doing this we are able to compete."

But while European sides continue to reap the benefits of Academie Asec's production line, the club itself - spearheaded by Pascal Theault since Guillou's departure - are under pressure to continue producing talent amid increased competition.

The academy used to have monopoly over Abidjan's young players but, as ever-increasing numbers of boys dream of a move to Europe and agents look to capitalise on the desire of European clubs for African players, over 300 academies have been formed in the city.

Meanwhile, the domestic game in west Africa, which fails to attract the same levels of investment as north Africa, faces a precarious future.

"Everybody is looking at the Africa Cup of Nations and saying Africa is getting better but I'm not sure of that," says Benoit You, Asec's director of marketing and communications.

"Ivorian people know the results of matches involving Chelsea and Arsenal but they don't know the results between Asec and another Ivorian team.

"We can't afford to keep the best players in Africa, the stadiums are very bad, the pitches are not good, we don't have TV rights and it's not possible to sell kits because people don't have money.

"It's possible that in the long term Africa will purely become a feeder for European football. I hope it doesn't happen but it's becoming very difficult for the clubs."

A particular problem arises when European sides cherry pick Asec players for small fees without entertaining the idea of investing in the club long-term.

That is where Charlton have bucked the trend and not only will their partnership enable them to sign tomorrows Toures and Zakoras, but it will also go a long way to guaranteeing the survival of Africa's most famous football academy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/7244803.stm

Does anyone know if Charlton's deal in the Ivory Coast was anything to do with our new guy Vetere?  I'm still amazed by how few link ups (if any) we have with foreign clubs.

Does anyone know if Charlton's deal in the Ivory Coast was anything to do with our new guy Vetere?  I'm still amazed by how few link ups (if any) we have with foreign clubs.

I am not sure if he did but what I do know is I struggle to think of good foreign players Charlton had. Apart from Man United & there deal with Antwerp I have yet to see a club really benefit from having a link.

I am not sure if he did but what I do know is I struggle to think of good foreign players Charlton had. Apart from Man United & there deal with Antwerp I have yet to see a club really benefit from having a link.

Dont Chelsea have a link with Ajax or some other big club in Holland something to do with Arnesen, also, not quite an offical link but Man U have a very close relationship with Sporting Lisbon.

Dont Chelsea have a link with Ajax or some other big club in Holland something to do with Arnesen, also, not quite an offical link but Man U have a very close relationship with Sporting Lisbon.

PSV Eindhoven...for example Alex first had to gain Dutch nationality to be able to play for Chelsea(although he was good enough already and was playing regulary for Brazil).

Guest Knightrider

Young English footballers do not posses the same motivation to succeed as their African counterparts, according to the Charlton chief executive Peter Varney.

Charlton's partnership with one of the most famous football academies in Africa, Asec Mimosas, has enabled them to sign five players from Ivory Coast.

"These players have a natural hunger to be successful because that secures their future," Varney told BBC Sport.

Charlton are entitled to feel they pulled off a major coup by agreeing a deal with the west African-based club in May 2006.

Currently playing in the Ivorian Premier Division in Abidjan - the largest city in Ivory Coast - the club was founded by the former France international Jean-Marc Guillou in 1993 and has produced the likes of Arsenal's Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue, Tottenham's Didier Zokora and Chelsea's Salomon Kalou.

Fourteen of the academy's past and present players were members of the Ivory Coast squad at the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

Under the terms of the agreement, Charlton are part-funding the academy and will host two footballing visits per year in exchange for first refusal on emerging players.

"It's the best academy in Africa," said Varney. "The whole programme is completely different to Europe in the way they deal with the players' education and their training.

"They live on-site and the coaches work on the technical development of the players far more than we perhaps do in this country - I think we could learn a lot from it.

"We invest, and actually part-finance, their academy to make sure it continues to exist and then there is an arrangement by which we can take the better players and give them the opportunity to play with our other partners around Europe."

Asec's first visit to south London took place this week when a selection of the first team squad, preparing for the start of the African Champions League, took on a Charlton reserve side at the Championship club's training ground.

Two of the five players Charlton have signed, 18-year-old striker Gohi Bi Cyriac and 19-year-old midfielder Deble Serge, were on display for the visitors and Serge opened the scoring with a stunning second-half strike.

There was little to chose between the two sides for much of the match but Asec's superior technical ability, strength and stamina shone through in the latter stages and their 2-0 win was sealed when right-back Alli N'Dri swept home a clinical move.

"We are all fortunate to be in this academy so we work hard," says Asec's 18-year-old centre-half Troh Cesar, who idolises Arsenal's Toure.

"It would be a dream to play in the English Premier League and I would love to play for Arsenal like Kolo."

Charlton's signings are all registered to the Football Association in England but are, or will be, placed at clubs in European countries whose work permit regulations are less stringent.

Defender Soro Bakary has been farmed out to Germinal Beerschot in Belgium while forward Ismael Beko Fofana and midfielder Konan Serge Kouadio are playing for Norwegian side Fredrikstad.

When the players qualify for a European passport, a process which usually takes two years, they should be eligible to join up with Charlton.

With the emergence of African nations at the various tournaments over the years we feel Africa is definitely part of the master plan for the globe," said Varney.

"But we can't compete with the top clubs in terms of signing players for the here and now so the strategy was to get associations with a number of clubs in key territories around the world and get in at academy level so that the best players can come to us."

Such thinking has resulted in Charlton establishing partnerships with clubs such as Valencia in Spain, Shandong Lunend in China and Ajax Cape Town in South Africa.

"This isn't about Charlton getting three players from the Ivory Coast next week," said Varney.

"This is something we will look back on in four or five years time and somebody will say Charlton had the vision to set this structure up around the world and from that have come these players who they didn't paying huge fees for.

"If you're signing a Didier Drogba or a Kalou when they're the finished article Charlton aren't able to compete in that market. By doing this we are able to compete."

But while European sides continue to reap the benefits of Academie Asec's production line, the club itself - spearheaded by Pascal Theault since Guillou's departure - are under pressure to continue producing talent amid increased competition.

The academy used to have monopoly over Abidjan's young players but, as ever-increasing numbers of boys dream of a move to Europe and agents look to capitalise on the desire of European clubs for African players, over 300 academies have been formed in the city.

Meanwhile, the domestic game in west Africa, which fails to attract the same levels of investment as north Africa, faces a precarious future.

"Everybody is looking at the Africa Cup of Nations and saying Africa is getting better but I'm not sure of that," says Benoit You, Asec's director of marketing and communications.

"Ivorian people know the results of matches involving Chelsea and Arsenal but they don't know the results between Asec and another Ivorian team.

"We can't afford to keep the best players in Africa, the stadiums are very bad, the pitches are not good, we don't have TV rights and it's not possible to sell kits because people don't have money.

"It's possible that in the long term Africa will purely become a feeder for European football. I hope it doesn't happen but it's becoming very difficult for the clubs."

A particular problem arises when European sides cherry pick Asec players for small fees without entertaining the idea of investing in the club long-term.

That is where Charlton have bucked the trend and not only will their partnership enable them to sign tomorrows Toures and Zakoras, but it will also go a long way to guaranteeing the survival of Africa's most famous football academy.

Our kids don't lack hunger, they just have the fun knocked out of them at an early age so become almost resentful of the game or see it as a means to get whatever they can get out of it financially and in the quickest and easiest way. In short many of today's footballers see the game as a job and don't love it as a sport or as sheer fun anymore.

Our kids don't lack hunger, they just have the fun knocked out of them at an early age so become almost resentful of the game or see it as a means to get whatever they can get out of it financially and in the quickest and easiest way. In short many of today's footballers see the game as a job and don't love it as a sport or as sheer fun anymore.

Our under 18 side lacks hunger, are disorganised and quite frankly shite.

• 7 months later...

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

Club Confirms Senior Appointments

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

Dennis Wise quits Leeds to sign up for Newcastle revolution

Matt Hughes

Dennis Wise will be confirmed as the new general manager of Newcastle United today as the centrepiece of a significant restructuring of the club.

In the biggest changes since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle last summer, The Times can reveal that Tony Jimenez, a London-based property developer, will join the board as a vice-president and Jeff Vetere, a scout for Real Madrid, will be appointed as technical director to complete a continental-style management structure working in support of Kevin Keegan.

Keegan has been aware of Ashley’s plans to create a multi-tiered management team since he returned to the club as manager a fortnight ago, but had little say over its composition. It is understood that Wise, the Leeds United manager, was already being lined up before he was appointed. “I am very happy [about the situation],” Keegan said yesterday after further discussions with Chris Mort, his chairman. “That’s a fact.”

Leeds confirmed yesterday that they had agreed a compensation package with Newcastle for Wise and he will leave after preparing the team for tonight’s Coca-Cola League One match against Southend United at Roots Hall.

Keegan resumed talks with Alan Shearer last night about the former Newcastle captain taking up a part-time position probably coaching the forwards but Shearer will not be offered a senior role within the new structure. Wise’s appointment should not affect those discussions, however, as his remit will not include coaching and he will be primarily charged with identifying talent and buying players in the manner of a director of football. Wise and Vetere will make the initial assessment before calling in Jimenez to do the deal, though Newcastle insist that Keegan will have the final say.

While many Newcastle fans will be stunned at the recruitment of such a controversial character as Wise, it is even more surprising that he has chosen to abandon his management career after mounting an impressive promotion challenge with Leeds, despite the handicap of a 15-point penalty.

The Times understands, however, that Wise has told friends he no longer wants to be a manager after becoming disillusioned with the job since the departure of Gustavo Poyet, his assistant, to Tottenham Hotspur. His new position will also enable him to spend more time at the family home in Buckinghamshire as he will not be required to move to the North East.

Wise will work closely with Vetere and Jimenez, who was intimately involved in his appointment and whose work for the club will be formalised when he is appointed in a part-time position today. Although his background is in property, the Spanish-speaking Jimenez is well connected in football and has a reputation as an astute deal-maker, helping to bring Juande Ramos to Tottenham as head coach before beginning work for Newcastle late last year.

Jimenez has known Wise since the latter’s playing days at Chelsea a decade ago and the pair have maintained a close friendship.

Vetere will also have a crucial role because, in contrast with Keegan’s first period in charge, when he scrapped the reserve team, Newcastle are pinning their hopes on youth development, hoping to follow the successful models in place at Arsenal and Seville by filling their academy with the best players from all over the world.

The multilingual Vetere began his career as a youth-team manager at Rushden & Diamonds, but he was appointed overseas co-ordinator at Charlton Athletic by Alan Curbishley, who also took him to West Ham United before Vetere left for Real.

On another remarkable day on Tyneside, Keegan confirmed that Joey Barton, who is on bail over an assault charge, is set to be named on the substitutes’ bench for tonight’s league fixture away to Arsenal. Barton was residing at the Sporting Chance clinic in Hampshire but now has a nightly curfew at his North East home at 7.30pm, except on match days. “His football has to do his talking now,” Keegan said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3267393.ece

DWise men bring a variety of skills to the back room

George Caulkin

Newcastle United’s attempt to restructure the club means that a new team will be in place behind the scenes at St James’ Park. One is a familiar face, but the other two newcomers are less well known.

Dennis Wise

St James’ Park, it seems, has an eternal fascination for football’s bad boys. Wise would point out that he is a different person from the snarling character who was adored by Chelsea fans and loathed by just about everyone else. He has overcome scepticism from Leeds United fans, as well as a 15-point deduction, to hoist the club into a strong position in Coca-Cola League One.

Yet the 41-year-old is understood to be pining for a break from management - he has also had spells at Millwall, Southampton (as caretaker) and Swindon Town. His family have not settled in Yorkshire and his new role – which can be filed under the bracket of general manager – should allow him to spend two or three days a week at his Buckinghamshire home.

Duties beckoning for Wise will include scouting, but Kevin Keegan, the manager, will have the final say on acquisitions. Chris Mort, the chairman, has also placed great emphasis on developing the club’s academy.

Tony Jimenez

Set to be named Newcastle’s new vice-president today, he is a friend of Paul Kemsley, the former Tottenham Hotspur vice-chairman. In turn, Kemsley is tight with Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner, while Jimenez has a long association with Wise, having established a wide network of contacts in football through his background in property development. So the circle is squared.

Jimenez has a reputation as a Mr Fixit, having played a significant role in Tottenham’s capture of Juande Ramos. He was also instrumental in Keegan’s return to Tyneside. He will grease the wheels for transfer deals to be finalised. The model being established is a continental one, where young, talented players are targeted and either integrated into the first team or sold at a profit. Keegan, who knew about the plans before returning to Newcastle, is said to be satisfied that there will be no interference in his domain.

A former director of Casa Sports Holdings Ltd, an agency whose clients included Celestine Babayaro, who had an ill-fated period at Newcastle, Jiminez was in Spain last night, scouting for youth-team players.

Jeff Vetere

A former apprentice at Luton Town, he rose from a youth coaching role at Rushden & Diamonds to become Charlton Athletic’s overseas scouting co-ordinator. Fluent in Italian and Spanish, he has since worked for Real Madrid but will take the title of technical director, which will mean an international scouting role. Credited with an encyclopaedic knowledge of footballers, Vetere will be expected to use his broad range of skills to help Newcastle to restock their youth and reserve ranks with exciting prospects.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3267400.ece

Quoted OP in full, I'd forgotten much of that.. how potentially rosy it all looked back then. But the point I note from the first club statement re: appointments. It does seem pretty clear there, with hindsight employed..

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

I was actually looking for the post regarding the club meeting fans representatives, as I'd been thinking how that had been short-lived and now instead of meeting with fans to hear their points of view and concerns they have a lynch mob masquerading as an official supporters club. :(

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

Club Confirms Senior Appointments

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.[/i]

I was actually looking for the post regarding the club meeting fans representatives, as I'd been thinking how that had been short-lived and now instead of meeting with fans to hear their points of view and concerns they have a lynch mob masquerading as an official supporters club. :(

How the fuck does all matters relating to the first team not include making the final decision on what first team players to sign though?  Wise can assist as much as he likes with recruiting the players but the manager should have been selecting the players to recruit IMO.