The Times: New "Continental" Setup at NUFC (Wise, Jimenez, Vetere)

Rich

A long time ago people were scratching their heads when Arsene Wenger arrived at Newcastle from the Japanese league. Grampian 8 or something was the team he was in charge of iirc.

Grampus 8, Brother BigTRon. It was Grampus 8.

Or was it Grandpa's 8?

I find this new setup very confusing, but I'm worried that I cannot recollect the time Wenger was our manager? Did we win anything?! Surely we must have?

Shame on most of the guys who were too critical of the Wise move. Today I was asmaed of most people here. You guys should give Ashley and Mort time like 2 or 3 years before making any negative comments. People who lives with FFS 15 years can't be patient now? disgusting

A long time ago people were scratching their heads when Arsene Wenger arrived at Newcastle from the Japanese league. Grampian 8 or something was the team he was in charge of iirc.

Grampus 8, Brother BigTRon. It was Grampus 8.

Or was it Grandpa's 8?

I find this new setup very confusing, but I'm worried that I cannot recollect the time Wenger was our manager? Did we win anything?! Surely we must have?

This is dork territory. It's over to you my friend.

Wise & Deschamps : two players who out on the pitch were able to make the most out of their respective limitations ability-wise as footballers, yet looking at their managerial records they've shown alot of promise in the infancy stages of their careers.

Seems to be the general rule of thumb: technically average players = pretty decent staff in the backroom. Although there are always exceptions ie. Clueless' perennial shadow & partner in crime, Dean Saunders.

Guest The Libertine

all in all, im puzzled like most, but if we now have people delegated to the bringing in of talent, hopefully we'll not be in our usual position of being massively under prepared in transfer windows and then panic buying shit players.

it seems like keegan had to be aware of this plan but it also goes against the keegan way of doing things ie him being the main source of player finding etc

I hope its a case of Keegan telling them who or what he wants, his record is second to none at our club.

This is the crucial point - I am all in favour of greater professionalism at the club, as opposed to the Mickey-Mouse way of running recruitment under the previous regime, but the essential thing is to ha ve everyone pulling in the same direction ; remember the old saying 'A House divided among itself cannot stand'...... If any major differences among the parties begin to emerge, there would undoubtedly be fireworks.

it seems like keegan had to be aware of this plan but it also goes against the keegan way of doing things ie him being the main source of player finding etc

I hope its a case of Keegan telling them who or what he wants, his record is second to none at our club.

This is the crucial point - I am all in favour of greater professionalism at the club, as opposed to the Mickey-Mouse way of running recruitment under the previous regime, but the essential thing is to ha ve everyone pulling in the same direction ; remember the old saying 'A House divided among itself cannot stand'...... If any major differences among the parties begin to emerge, there would undoubtedly be fireworks.

Thats what im worried about as well, i dont have any doubt whatsoever that Keegan will have 100% say on the first team but the grey area where both 'parties' start to clash, ie the transfers is something which is waiting to be ignited. Theonly solution i can see for this is 2 seperate budgets, then again we go down the route where the other party dont thnk that a siging of keegan isnt suitable, which may cause more friction....too many cooks etc....

Guest Ridzuan

For me,I am not that disappointed with Wise appointment.I think he is a decent manager and I dont think he is that bad as other people might think.I mean Leeds are not doing bad,and in fact they was doing well under him,hopefully he can bring the same formula here.As for the other 2 guys,I dont know much about them,but their backgrounds sounds impressive.Hopefully everything will turn out as good as their appointment.

i was a bit baffeled with the wise decision, but these two other guys sound promising, im prepared to give this, and any other changes a chance as the old ones obviously werent working so may aswell try something new.

sounds like we will be spending big in the summer (keegan sort of said it today in the press conference) so maybe with these in and possible one or two other scouts, this could be a very good thing for us

Similar article in the Echo but more quotes from Keegan.

NEWCASTLE will confirm Dennis Wise's appointment as their new director of football development today, but the former Leeds United manager will not be involved with the club's first-team affairs.

Wise stepped down as Leeds boss yesterday, and will be one of three new figures appointed at St James' Park as Magpies owner Mike Ashley reshapes the managerial infrastructure of the club he inherited from Freddy Shepherd last summer.

Tony Jimenez, a former property developer who has worked with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur, will be installed as Newcastle's new vice-president.

Jeff Vetere, formerly a scout with Real Madrid, will be appointed as the club's technical director, with specific control over international scouting.

The duo both have close ties with Ashley. Jimenez is a confidante of former Tottenham director Paul Kemsley and is understood to have been involved in Ashley's search for Sam Allardyce's successor.

Both are expected to play prominent roles in the areas of player recruitment, but it will be the appointment of Wise that causes most interest.

The former Chelsea and Wimbledon midfielder has not been appointed as a member of Kevin Keegan's coaching staff, and will have little or no direct involvement with the first-team squad.

His duties will range from overseeing the workings of the club's Academy to scouting young and emerging players, and his role, which will be based in both Newcastle and London, will be broadly comparable to the one Frank Arnesen currently fills at Chelsea.

He has not been appointed over Keegan's head - the Magpies manager was aware of Wise's possible arrival when he agreed to succeed Allardyce earlier this month - and Keegan is understood to be satisfied with yesterday's surprise events.

But Wise's appointment is sure to fuel speculation over the potential for conflict.

Keegan selected Wise for England, but the pair do not enjoy a close relationship and Wise's appointment has been rubber-stamped by Ashley and chairman Chris Mort rather than the Newcastle boss.

"I am reluctant to tell you all I know because I really do not know everything, being honest," said Keegan, ahead of this evening's game at Arsenal.

"It is pointless me saying something to you, that I'm going to sit down and this wasn't quite right or that wasn't quite right. I just do not know enough about it. I know a little and a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

"I have spoken with Chris and I am very happy with that conversation. That is a fact. I spoke to Chris before I came here because I knew where everyone would go, but really this is a distraction we do not need today - and that's not a distraction in a negative sense. You are going to have to ask Chris Mort (for any further information)."

Wise, who will not be at Southend when Leeds travel to Roots Hall tonight, has opted to take on his new post despite having been involved with management for more than four years.

He led Millwall to an FA Cup final during his 19 months of player-management at The New Den.

After five months at Swindon, he was appointed Leeds manager in October 2006, but was unable to keep the club in the Championship last season. However, he has guided Leeds into the League One play-off places despite a 15-point penalty.

His decision to take a step back from management is surprising, but the lure of a regular return to London has proved a factor. It is envisaged that Wise will spend up to three working days a week in the capital.

The 41-year-old's family did not accompany him north when he joined Leeds more than a year ago, and sources in Yorkshire suggest a desire to return to his roots almost led him to quit Elland Road earlier this season.

Newcastle first contacted Leeds to inquire about Wise's availability last Friday, and a formal offer of compensation was faxed to Elland Road yesterday morning.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/latest/display.var.2000737.0.magpies_in_wise_move.php

apparently keegan new nowt about Wise coming

-----------------

Keegan Mystified Over Wise Appointment 

Kevin Keegan has almost embarrassingly had to admit he was completely in the dark over the appointment of Dennis Wise as an executive at Newcastle United, as King Kev's revolution is so far failing to go even remotely according to plan...

It started with an abysmal showing in a goalless draw against relegation strugglers Bolton Wanderers - a side Keegan's predecessor Sam Allardyce routed 3-0 on the opening day.

It has since developed with several speculative transfer targets with no happy ending, the Shearer-Keegan dream team not coming to pass, a tame elimination from the FA Cup at the hands of Arsenal, Jonathan Woodgate rejecting the club for Tottenham Hotspur, and now, Dennis Wise has apparently been appointed as director of football with Keegan having no part in the decision-making process.

It is an embarrassing reality check for the Toon Army, as Keegan spoke to the media of the situation yesterday.

“I am reluctant to tell you all I know as I really do not know everything," he admitted.

"I just do not know enough about it. So it is pointless me saying something or sitting down and saying to you this wasn’t quite right or that wasn’t quite right.”

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=564981

Everyone's favourite journo Henry Winter has just said on Talksport that he thinks this will end in disaster and Shearer will be in within a year. So don't be expecting any friendly articles from him about this.

In theory it could be a very good move but why the hell pick wise? He has no experience at being a director of football development???

Why not?  Wise and Jimenez knew each other when Wise was at Chelsea.  Go with someone you know, get on well with and trust.

Dennis Wise was a prize prick as a player & a half wit off it. Punching taxi drivers, crazy gang etc. Now he is dof at nufc. Surely there must have been more qualified candidates? KK seemingly knew nothing about the Wise appointment (but presumably knew of the position); Keegan & Wise forming a close relationship? I can't see it. Puzzled.

i think an important factor the detractors of the "continental system" fail to see is continuity regardless of what is going on at first team level

what is we've had?  6 academy directors in about 3 months or something stupid?  the massive benefit to this system is to set something up that doesn't immediately get binned by the new manager (in the event of that happening)

i see no problem with wise and this scout guy doing homework on first team standard players and presenting them to keegan for go- go no to sign, whilst simultaneously overseeing youth development and scouting etc...

thought this for a long time, and although NE5 for example points out it's no guarantee of success it certainly points to a higher success rate than chopping and changing every five minutes at all levels of the club

apparently keegan new nowt about Wise coming

-----------------

Keegan Mystified Over Wise Appointment 

Kevin Keegan has almost embarrassingly had to admit he was completely in the dark over the appointment of Dennis Wise as an executive at Newcastle United, as King Kev's revolution is so far failing to go even remotely according to plan...

It started with an abysmal showing in a goalless draw against relegation strugglers Bolton Wanderers - a side Keegan's predecessor Sam Allardyce routed 3-0 on the opening day.

It has since developed with several speculative transfer targets with no happy ending, the Shearer-Keegan dream team not coming to pass, a tame elimination from the FA Cup at the hands of Arsenal, Jonathan Woodgate rejecting the club for Tottenham Hotspur, and now, Dennis Wise has apparently been appointed as director of football with Keegan having no part in the decision-making process.

It is an embarrassing reality check for the Toon Army, as Keegan spoke to the media of the situation yesterday.

I am reluctant to tell you all I know as I really do not know everything," he admitted.

"I just do not know enough about it. So it is pointless me saying something or sitting down and saying to you this wasnt quite right or that wasnt quite right.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=564981

Be sure and paste that one into the "media hate" thread :D

Dennis Wise was a prize prick as a player & a half wit off it. Punching taxi drivers, crazy gang etc. Now he is dof at nufc. Surely there must have been more qualified candidates? KK seemingly knew nothing about the Wise appointment (but presumably knew of the position); Keegan & Wise forming a close relationship? I can't see it. Puzzled.

Someone close to Kemsley is saying that Ashley and Wise have been quite matey for a fair few years going back to Wise's Chelsea days, Wise apparently did modelling for the sportswear range years ago.  If there is a fallout between Keegan and Wise, seems like there would only be one winner.  Part of Wise's role will obviously to maintain continuity when KK does go.