Should Beckham get into the England squad? - Maybe, but he isnt

Decky

Sky sources say he hasnt been picked, but we know their 'sources' can be shit.

IMO i see no reason why he shouldnt be picked, he has been training with a Premier League club, so fitness isnt a problem, IMO he is still better for England than SWP and Lennon.

You say that Midds and I can see where you're coming from but I think it would be a little bit churlish not to give him it, even if he just came on for the last 20 minutes. Worse for me was under Sven when I can remember players like Gary Neville coming on for 10 mins at the end of a friendly just to get another cap which is worse imo (not like he needed the experience or anything). Agree with the Gimpster.

You say that Midds and I can see where you're coming from but I think it would be a little bit churlish not to give him it, even if he just came on for the last 20 minutes. Worse for me was under Sven when I can remember players like Gary Neville coming on for 10 mins at the end of a friendly just to get another cap which is worse imo (not like he needed the experience or anything). Agree with the Gimpster.

That's fair enough.  :thup:

I just think his time has come and gone and it's time to move on and build for the World Cup in 2010 starting now. The fact he's on 99 is irrelevant to me. I'd be of the same opinion if he had 89, 59 or 129. I can see why people want him to get 100 but I just don't agree with them!

Guest Slippery Sam

It's a difficult one.

On one hand he's been the main focal point of English international football for the last 10 years and possibly deserves the ton.

On the other, would he not have had his 100th cap already if he had not got deliberately booked to miss an easy game under suspension (I can't recall the game).

He doesn't deserve 100 caps. You deserve 100 caps by earning 100 caps. He hasn't done that. He should have been stuck on 94 or whatever it was when McClaren dumped him. He's finished as a top player. Legs have completely gone, not played in months, eh was embarassing to watch in the Croatia game, even if he did put a cross in he could barely move and the Croatia winner came from him thumping it up the pitch 30 yards from his own goal.

His time has gone, he didnt get 100 caps in his time, c'est la vie, move along. Bentley is the future.

He may not deserve it, but if he was in the squad then he could come on for the last 5. It would be overly sentimental etc., and may well be unjustified, but it could put the issue to bed for once and all.

Churlish not to give him the 100th cap - has been a magnificant servant to Engalnd, it aint going to hurt the fortunes of the national team by giving him 20 minutes in a friendly against a cr*p team and I think he deserves that

Should have just got it over with in this meaningless game. There will be the same s*** from the media before every single squad otherwise. Plus I think he does deserve it.

Exactly. The only reason he deserves the cap is to shut the media up. We're never going to hear the end of it now for years to come.

Tricky decision. Beckham doesn't warrant a place on merit, and it's a good message to send to the rest of the squad that the team will always be picked on merit rather than reputation. On the other hand, some of the senior players might feel it's a bit hard on Beckham. Capello can't really win on this.

Being a coward, I'd have picked Beckham, to get the issue over with, but Capello's probably right. If Beckham then goes missing from the next squad, everyone will say that his 100th cap was only granted on sentiment.