Current opinion on Keegan appointment?

Mr Logic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can i combine the top two? Delighted (it's Keegan ffs!), but i can't see him breaking into the top four. I think he'll do his bit, let us fall in love with the place again, then move on. The 'unfinished business' thing is a bit unrealistic in my opinion, unless we get a good bit of fortune in Europe; but that says more about English football than it does about Keegan. The domestic trophies are well out of reach while Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are about.

Chuffed. No way am i going to get phased by the past three results. The first one and the third one don't even count (had the team for about two days, then being forced to name the same team twice in a row against one of the best teams in the world). And in the only game that did 'count', we matched a brilliant team for 45 mins.

My first post, so here goes..

I have seen the style of football Keegan tried to play at his last clubs, and often that the players he had, were not good enough for his tactics employed. However, I feel that the players at his disposal here are gifted enough to carry out Keegans gameplans.

I think Sam screwed up big time, and played such abysmally boring tactics the players got to the pitch half asleep. I honestly think the return of Kev will turn the tide for us and good times will be here again. 5 Games says Keegan will have us back on form.  O0

My first post, so here goes..

I have seen the style of football Keegan tried to play at his last clubs, and often that the players he had, were not good enough for his tactics employed. However, I feel that the players at his disposal here are gifted enough to carry out Keegans gameplans.

I think Sam screwed up big time, and played such abysmally boring tactics the players got to the pitch half asleep. I honestly think the return of Kev will turn the tide for us and good times will be here again. 5 Games says Keegan will have us back on form.  O0

Welcome to the forums  :thup:

Well I had my doubts when he first came. Very few people a couple of years previously would have ever of thought of him as the best manager for the club.

We admired him for what he had done for us in his the past but his failings were so obvious at every club he had managed.

Short term I thought he would be a great success and by that I mean the first 18 months - 2 years. But after that it would be the same story as before.

I'm a bit more gloomy now, especially after the appointment of Wise and the others, and all the negative press coming out of the club. I just don't know how Keegan will deal with this sort of pressure.

Anyone who has been a fan long enough to have lived through the first Keegan era has got a soft spot a mile wide for the man. I shed a tear when I saw him pitch up at SJP again.

But sorry to say this I think he was appointed for the wrong reasons this time around. IMO the club missed an opportunity to try and find our own Wenger. The timing of the sacking of Allardyce didn't help. I don't actually want a manager who can walk away with his head held high if he fails tbh. I want someone who is intelligent, understands modern football and is young enough to still be here in 10 years time. Does such a man exist? Dunno but how far did Ashley search? Few Arsenal fans had heard of Wenger when he was appointed. All I know is that I think the choices of Redknapp then Keegan show a lack of long term vision.

For all that how can any true fan not get behind Keegan though ffs?

And forget the Arsenal games - his new era starts tomorrow and he should be judged from here on in.

The only appointment that could come close to uniting the club, fans and players. A top class European coach in my opinion was out of the equation. Someone like Rednapp or Hughes would have just split opinion the way Big Sam did amongst us. When you stop and think about it, it may have been a brave appointment by Ashley and Mort but it was the only one they could make in all honestly and i am glad that they pulled it off.

Will he be a success this time around. I think he will be though success to me at this moment in time would be UEFA cup qualifying place within the next couple of seasons. Its been mentioned that footballs changed in the last few years since he quit City but bar new money I dont think that its changed that dramatically. You can see changes in the game from now compared to 10 or 20 years ago football has always evolved but in essence its still a simple game where you need to score more than you concede its not a massive change in the 3 years or so since hes been running his circus in Glasgow.

As for the press its in their interest that Keegan fails or walks away, it will sell more papers than KK quietly turning the club around hence the negative coverage from the press with the appointments of Wise et al. I refuse to believe that the powers that be are going to P**s off the person they wanted as manager and im sure Kev has been aware of whats been happening and has no reservations about it.

Ignore them keep the faith and i'm certain we can do it.

Still the same - very disappointed. I was more excited when Wise's arrival was announced.

The game has changed, the opposition are more tactically astute and technically capable. Keegan will be found wanting IMO, just as he was with England.

Found wanting of what exactly? Trophies and glory aren't guaranteed no matter how much money you throw around, it still has to be spent wisely. Juande Ramos could be the biggest tactical genius in the world, but he still needed a Woodgate to make that defence look any good.

Let's be clear about this, Keegan isn't taking over a successful club, he's taking over one that's struggling to finish in the top half. If we are challenging for Europe next season he'll have gone a lot further than many before him.

Anyone who has been a fan long enough to have lived through the first Keegan era has got a soft spot a mile wide for the man. I shed a tear when I saw him pitch up at SJP again.

But sorry to say this I think he was appointed for the wrong reasons this time around. IMO the club missed an opportunity to try and find our own Wenger. The timing of the sacking of Allardyce didn't help. I don't actually want a manager who can walk away with his head held high if he fails tbh. I want someone who is intelligent, understands modern football and is young enough to still be here in 10 years time. Does such a man exist? Dunno but how far did Ashley search? Few Arsenal fans had heard of Wenger when he was appointed. All I know is that I think the choices of Redknapp then Keegan show a lack of long term vision.

For all that how can any true fan not get behind Keegan though ffs?

And forget the Arsenal games - his new era starts tomorrow and he should be judged from here on in.

i had a feeling of that at first (appointed for sentiment) but now after whats happened afterwards i see a bigger picture where his shortfallings are covered by others.(scouting,youth set up etc).

this will fly in the face of some but i think keegans time out will have done him good,gave him time to look at where he went wrong,how he got caught up in mangerialship and lost his verve. i still think we may be seat of the pants till the end of the season but i do believe (i cant "know" it)the summer will be huge.

I thought the Club (Ashley) had missed a glorious opportunity to move up to the level required.  The new manager should have had success written all over him. He should have either had CL under his belt or managed at the highest levels in Spain/Germany/Italy.

I had serious reservations when I heard about Keegan and I still have them now. He's a cheque book manager with good motivaional skills - but he'll be walked all over by the Fergusons and Wengers of the game.

But, I think over 18 months Keegan will 'up' the anti and move the Club forward just not sure he's got it in him to break the top 4.

My sentiments exactly. Good post.

I thought the Club (Ashley) had missed a glorious opportunity to move up to the level required.  The new manager should have had success written all over him. He should have either had CL under his belt or managed at the highest levels in Spain/Germany/Italy.

I had serious reservations when I heard about Keegan and I still have them now. He's a cheque book manager with good motivaional skills - but he'll be walked all over by the Fergusons and Wengers of the game.

But, I think over 18 months Keegan will 'up' the anti and move the Club forward just not sure he's got it in him to break the top 4.

My sentiments exactly. Good post.

not gonna argue. i guess time will tell....we all hope i'm right O0

We can all wax lyrical about top European managers, but who really was there on offer?

I'm happy and hopeful that he can dig us out of the current mess and then when summer arrives, the job really begins.

We can all wax lyrical about top European managers, but who really was there on offer?

I'm happy and hopeful that he can dig us out of the current mess and then when summer arrives, the job really begins.

Spot on!

Dechamps, or any other foreign coach without Premiership experience, could easily have got us relagated this season. IMO Keegan is the right man, in the right place, at the right time, and there's no one I'd trust more than Keegan to spend Ashley's millions getting us back pushing the top four.

This all depends on what you call success.

A few on here (mostly NE5) knoiw my feelings about KK.

Yes, he played entertaining football, caught the imagination of most of the country, but ultimately, he won nothing for us. IMO, that is not success.

Teams like Leicester, Oxford, Swindon and Ipswich have won domestic trophies since we last won one. That is plainly ridiculous and a bloody disgrace. Please notice that I have also deliberately failed to mention our great unwashed rivals from the Tees and Wear who have also won something ahead of us.

Too many on here want to think back into a time warp about 5-0 defeats of Manure and 12 points clear. Pity they beat us to the title, isnt it?

Where we stand at the moment, success could be termed as avoiding a relegation battle this year, spend shedloads in the summer and qualify for the EUFA cup next year or even better.

I have my doubts on a number of reasons:

1.  It is a vastly different competition now to what it was 11 years ago. More teams are involved in challenging the top teams and it would be infinitely more difficult to crack the top 3 or 4.

2.  More money is available to other clubs due to foreign ownership and sky money so quality players will be that much more difficult to attract.

3.  Whilst apparently, KK is good motivator, he hsnt got the tactical nous to taken on the best in the business.

4.  Our Youth set up is virtually non productive whilst other clubs are so far ahead of us in that aspect.

5.  KK will do what he has done at virtually every other job he has had. As soon as someone disagrees with him, toys are thrown from the pram and he will walk.

Sorry to say, romanticism in football is a rarity in this day and age and if everyone is looking for a short term fix, forget it. It isnt going to happen under KK.

As for quality foreign managers and coaches, I am sure we could have got the best of the lot if we had allowed our heads to rule our hearts rather than the other way around.....................Guus Hiddink.

What a crying shame.

This all depends on what you call success.

A few on here (mostly NE5) knoiw my feelings about KK.

Yes, he played entertaining football, caught the imagination of most of the country, but ultimately, he won nothing for us. IMO, that is not success.

Teams like Leicester, Oxford, Swindon and Ipswich have won domestic trophies since we last won one. That is plainly ridiculous and a bloody disgrace. Please notice that I have also deliberately failed to mention our great unwashed rivals from the Tees and Wear who have also won something ahead of us.

Too many on here want to think back into a time warp about 5-0 defeats of Manure and 12 points clear. Pity they beat us to the title, isnt it?

Where we stand at the moment, success could be termed as avoiding a relegation battle this year, spend shedloads in the summer and qualify for the EUFA cup next year or even better.

I have my doubts on a number of reasons:

1.  It is a vastly different competition now to what it was 11 years ago. More teams are involved in challenging the top teams and it would be infinitely more difficult to crack the top 3 or 4.

2.  More money is available to other clubs due to foreign ownership and sky money so quality players will be that much more difficult to attract.

3.  Whilst apparently, KK is good motivator, he hsnt got the tactical nous to taken on the best in the business.

4.  Our Youth set up is virtually non productive whilst other clubs are so far ahead of us in that aspect.

5.  KK will do what he has done at virtually every other job he has had. As soon as someone disagrees with him, toys are thrown from the pram and he will walk.

Sorry to say, romanticism in football is a rarity in this day and age and if everyone is looking for a short term fix, forget it. It isnt going to happen under KK.

As for quality foreign managers and coaches, I am sure we could have got the best of the lot if we had allowed our heads to rule our hearts rather than the other way around.....................Guus Hiddink.

What a crying shame.

1) Gus Hiddink wouldn't have come.

2) His record against English teams doesn't suggest any great tactical awareness. Wasn't it his Dutch team that were shafted by Venables' Christmas tree formation?

I was shocked and disappointed at first. Then I came round because he was at least uniting the club behind him (which we badly needed), and I was also reminded of his strengths in terms of motivational skills.

I think he'll be able to push the club forward from the end of his season, if backed by money, which I'm sure he will be.

I'm a bit concerned right now because I think he's over-estimated the quality of our current squad. We should have strengthened in January. We're not out of trouble, and I wonder if we're in for a repeat of when he first joined the club - a narrow escape from relegation followed by rapid progress.

I have expressed some of my views about this on the Shearer thread, but I will add this; - Whether KK does the business or not in terms of bringing success to the club , his first job, much like the start of his first spell as manager, is to keep the club in the Division.

Those too young to remember the situation at the time should be reminded that his initial contract was only from 3 Feb(yes, its 16 years ago today..)until the end of  season 91/92.

None of us know what would have happened if the club had gone down..he might have gone, Sir John might have gone - no-one knows. Thank fully, it wasn't put to the test and the rest is history.

We have to remember that KK was in a fairly unique position when we won promotion to the Prem in 92/93

because he and the Board had a common aim to spend the club to the top which they began to do in 94/95.At that time, no other club was spending as much money and even Alex Ferguson got twitchy about KK's spending(it hardly seems credible today, but its true). Fergie feared that Man U's PLC status would restrict their ability to compete with Newcastle, but after we hit the high point with Shearer's signing, it started to go downhill...KK left before both he and the fans could tell if he could do the job under the new regime, but no-one really knows if the PLC is the only reson he decided to go, and he will not have told the full story in his book either....

This time, he has far more competition from other clubs, NUFC is not viewed favourably by prospective signings, unlike in the 90s and the Youth system has suddenly become all-important after being downgraded under KK in 1996 - it has also been badly run by the previous regime..

I hope that KKs comments about young players indicate that he has learned a few lessons since the last time and REALLY hope he will be a success - but I think , as some have said, the definition of success will be qualifying for Europe rather than challenging for the title. We don't yet know how the economic downturn will affect Prem clubs ; it may be that some find it harder to attract crowds due to people spending less money - we also don't know if the rising cost of living will cost Sky a large number of customers and therefore, less money to plough into the Prem with resultant belt-tightening for some clubs.

If that does happen, NUFC are in a good position to benefit as we have a very loyal fanbase -- we will see.

The best we can currently hope for is that he can replicate MON and get us into a similar position to Villa within 2 years, but it will be a tough shout - they had plenty of good youngsters for MON to draw on and, although some on here don't like to accept it, MON has a better record at different clubs AND is a better tactician...that, though, is our realistic benchmark for the next few years...assuming we win this afternoon...!!

We're not out of trouble, and I wonder if we're in for a repeat of when he first joined the club - a narrow escape from relegation followed by rapid progress.

That'll do me.

I'd rather relish that prospect myself.. ;)

Just want to add there has been some great responses in this thread with people making their feelings known. I have to say I find myself agreeing with most everything said, even when they are apparently conflicting.. because at the end of the day i guess that's how I feel about the whole thing, conflicted.

I'm the whole spectrum of emotions. Elated, excited, perturbed, worried, deflated and energised.

Bizzare.  :lol:

Guest sittingontheball

The press are all gunning for him to fail so badly that I want him to succeed all the more.

He's inherited some very poor players though, so he's got his work cut out.

any decisions on Keegan will have to be reserved until next season when he has his own players and has had time to impose himself on the team.

Have to say though, the rush of good feeling that was one of the biggest strenghts of his appointment has now truly and completely disappeared. He'll have to stand purely on his own merits now.