Parker and Nobby

oldtype

We miss Dyer more than either of those two tbh.

Aye. Dyer is technically a good player. A good first touch, good pace, good movement and most of his passes found a team-mate.

Attributes we sorely lack. We moaned about Dyer for 8 years but he's far better in midfield and upfront than Alan Smith.

:clap:

Aye. Dyer is technically a good player. A good first touch, good pace, good movement and most of his passes found a team-mate.

Attributes we sorely lack. We moaned about Dyer for 8 years but he's far better in midfield and upfront than Alan Smith.

To be fair, he was crocked for something like 4 of those 8.

Guest kingdawson

i miss dyer and jenas very much.

Why?  Because Jenas has had a couple of good games recently for Spurs?  He was utterly s*** for us and has been for most of his time at Spurs so let's not have everyone saying how much they loved him and pretending they never wanted him to leave.

And just think, if everyone put as much effort into supporting these players when they were at the club, giving them a lift instead of knocking them down all the time, then they might have been able to fulfil there potential and they might still be here.

FALSE :thup:

To be fair, he was crocked for something like 4 of those 8.

Aye I was happy when we sold him because we got good money for him. But when we signed Smith it became a 1 forward 3 steps back situation.

Why?  Because Jenas has had a couple of good games recently for Spurs?  He was utterly s*** for us and has been for most of his time at Spurs so let's not have everyone saying how much they loved him and pretending they never wanted him to leave.

And just think, if everyone put as much effort into supporting these players when they were at the club, giving them a lift instead of knocking them down all the time, then they might have been able to fulfil there potential and they might still be here.

How has Jenas been playing this season?

In recent weeks he's really stood out but I don't seem to remember much else. He's seemed ever present when fit under Ramos, is this true?

Jenas has been quality recently, to be fair to him.

I thought he was shit when he was here but I always thought he had it in him to be a good player, just lost his way - i'd say fully through his own fault of being a cunt.

I remember posting at the time of his sale that if we sold him to a good manager (at the time I was probably referring to Wenger, but Ramos is very impressive) then he'd improve ten-fold.

Guest kingdawson

Why?  Because Jenas has had a couple of good games recently for Spurs?  He was utterly s*** for us and has been for most of his time at Spurs so let's not have everyone saying how much they loved him and pretending they never wanted him to leave.

In recent weeks he's really stood out but I don't seem to remember much else. He's seemed ever present when fit under Ramos, is this true?

He's been immense since Ramos took over tbh. Ive always been a big fan of his but he's more or less won everyone over with his Performances since Jol's departure.  I think he's only missed one game since the change of management and that was only down to injury. Getting goals wasnt much of an issue for JJ but now he's imposing himself much more in games and is getting consitancy. It's just a question of, who's going to partner him......

Edit: Can someone actually clear up, why you guys hate him so much?. The Goldfish comment was made by the prat Souness and in a recent interview, Jenas was very complimentary about his time at Newcsatle.

solano i'd have back instead of milner  but parker's a case of grass is always greener, he was totally totally shite towards the end and i cant remember him playing TOO many passes forwards, another one to pass sideways and back to our centre halves? no thanks

He's been immense since Ramos took over tbh. Ive always been a big fan of his but he's more or less won everyone over with his Performances since Jol's departure.  I think he's only missed one game since the change of management and that was only down to injury. Getting goals wasnt much of an issue for JJ but now he's imposing himself much more in games and is getting consitancy. It's just a question of, who's going to partner him......

Edit: Can someone actually clear up, why you guys hate him so much?. The Goldfish comment was made by the prat Souness and in a recent interview, Jenas was very complimentary about his time at Newcsatle.

i dont HATE him, but he was fucking crap for us and bobby played him regardless of form which was just so frustrating, he was also part of the north east so solid contingent which is enough for me to dislike him, he might be a bit more consistent under ramos but i dont expect it'll last, up until a month ago he was just as bad for spurs as he was for us, and he'll never ever be able to finish

Cos he was wank and a wanker. But i speak for myself, i don't know what anyone else thinks.

Not everyone hated him here, certainly not Sir Bobby Robson, who's judgement I'd back over a few loudmouth thickos' on a message board. Jenas' biggest critic here thought the sun shone out of Lee Bowyer's arse in comparison if that's a clue to the thinking. Ironic that Lee Bowyer's arse was probably his most technically gifted asset.

Why?  Because Jenas has had a couple of good games recently for Spurs?  He was utterly s*** for us and has been for most of his time at Spurs so let's not have everyone saying how much they loved him and pretending they never wanted him to leave.

Fair enough you've seen more of him than we have over the past couple of seasons so "most of the time" might have been a bit harsh.  He didn't look very good a while back though and he was the number one target for piss taking on a number of radio shows and websites for ages because he was allegedly so bad.

As it happens I thought he looked a real quality prospect when he first signed for us so, although I don't think he really improved at all in the time he was here, it doesn't surprise me that he's turned into a really good player.  He always had the attributes, he just appeared to lack the attitude.

Strangely enough I thought Scott Parker played his best football for us when Souness was in charge, totally lost it when Roeder took over, I think that was because Souness used him correctly where as Roeder was totally clueless with him.

The problem with getting rid of Parker, Dyer and Nobby was not they were necessarily irreplaceable or even bad sales.

The problem was just that Allardyce replaced them with bargain basement garbage.

The problem with getting rid of Parker, Dyer and Nobby was not they were necessarily irreplaceable or even bad sales.

The problem was just that Allardyce replaced them with bargain basement garbage.

???

When we played Man City last season, Barton dominated midfield. Was far better than Parker.

Strangely enough I thought Scott Parker played his best football for us when Souness was in charge, totally lost it when Roeder took over, I think that was because Souness used him correctly where as Roeder was totally clueless with him.

Shallow comments to be honest, especially the piece i've underlined.

Formation-wise Souness upset the entire midfeld balance in order to accomodate Parker in that all-out defensive role you speak of where his sole responsibility, or job, was to laterally patrol the attacking hole infront of our back 4. He was by no means a star performer either especially when placed alongside somebody like Makalele. Parker just adequetly carried out was a pretty basic & one-dimensional 'hacker role'.

Roeder had the right idea re-Parker, by employing him in a balanced central midfield role - similar to that of Lee - but it was a failed bid to restore the team's midfield ability to move the ball across the midfield line from left-to-right or vice versa. Parker just didn't have the footballing brain needed to carry out that particular role, as Lee had, to be that 'first receiver & ball-player in the middle of the park' or to be more specific he never demonstrated an ability to quickly calculate what ball/outlet pass needed to be played when the oppositions' outfield defensive lines and shape were broken following a turnover in possession.

Matches are pinched, or a multi-goal rout can be inflicted, within those brief moments of broken play...... during the transition phase between attack & defense. For all but six weeks during Roeder's full season at the helm Parker was a constant bloody roadblock which effectively wiped out that vital ingredient of play.

Roeder wasn't clueless as far as determining the sort of balanced defensive/attacking that was ultimately bestowed upon our then captain, from a team standpoint that is. Roeder's mistake was that he placed too much trust in a captain who clearly wasn't up to the job, and that was painfully evident when Roeder reinstated him back into the first eleven when the too-many times mentioned player returned from his mid-season break form injury. IMO the reinstatement of Parker, despite having a well functioning central duo in Emre & Butt performing well at the time, largely contributed to the team's freefall over the closing third of last season.

IMO there are two positive legacies to speak of when highlighting Allardyces's reign, and these were hand packaged by the man himself. One being the recruitment of Beye, the other being the departure of the useless pile of s*** that was Scott Parker.

???

When we played Man City last season, Barton dominated midfield. Was far better than Parker.

Barton was cheap because he has major issues with the law.

Now he's missed a good chunk of the season because of another arrest with a possibility of missing much more in the future.

I'd say its hard to focus on the football field when you're facing a raft of criminal charges. Not a great buy.

We miss the creativity of Nobby but Parker is not that great a miss but we do miss the directness of Dyer, a central midfielder that will run with the ball is what we are desperate for.

Other than Zoggy, maybe, we have no one who has the pace to stretch the other side's defence in the way Dyer could. Martins has the pace but, without wanting to get into another "is Martins crap" debate, he doesn't always use it effectively.