Fitting in the Africans

KaKa

Keegan really has to be smart with the return of Faye, Beye and Martins.

His decisions will determine exactly how well the remainder of our season goes and to be fair he will have some tough choices to make, and he will have to be brave.

Beye is the easiest decision, as he should slot straight back into the right back position.

Now comes the hard part ...

Faye, I think he has to go in at centre back. We have nothing else like him back there. An absolute beast and a huge presence for us, he dominates in the air and he never gets rattled or bullied off the ball, he actually scares other teams strikers. He sets the tone in defence and everyone plays with a bit more confidence back there when he is in defence.

There is certainly an argument to have him in midfield due to the patheticness of Nicky Butt, but for the moment I think it is more important to have a stronger back four, to allow for a more competent midfield unit. Here's what I mean ... I believe with Faye in defence we will be able to better afford the probable risk of playing both Emre and Barton together in midfield and we absolutely have to give this partnership a chance now. I think this partnership in midfield will be our only real chance to wake up our attacking play, and Faye in defence will be crucial to this.

Last of all ...

Martins, the time is now to play Martins and Owen upfront. With Barton and Emre in midfield, this partnership will have a chance I believe it's time we just went with it. I'm tired of waiting for that moment of brilliance for the huffing and puffing Viduka, and I'm tired of watching Alan Smith try and fail to convince everyone he is committed, by fouling every defender in sight. Martins should be the first striker on the pitch, his overall attributes are vital to a team that lacks speed and dynamic play. Of the remaining three strikers Owen is the best bet to partner Martins. He has been making more of an effort I believe, and he can still be a danger in the box. Martins can do the hard work of pressuring defenders and running the channels, as well as being a goal threat, and Owen can then just concentrate on being in the right spot in the box.

Here's hoping it all works out.

Faye, midfield, Martins up front with Owen.  The little/large combo only works when you have people playing accurate long balls to players capable of bringing them down.  Since we can't pass accurately anyway it shouldn't matter and we might as well try them together for a run.

I'd stick Cacapa or Geremi or even Barton in centre mid ahead of Butt.

Butt should never play for the club again unless we cannot field a starting XI

Beye--Faye--Taylor--Enrique needs to be played as much as we can for the rest of the season.

Faye, I think he has to go in at centre back. We have nothing else like him back there. An absolute beast and a huge presence for us, he dominates in the air and he never gets rattled or bullied off the ball, he actually scares other teams strikers. He sets the tone in defence and everyone plays with a bit more confidence back there when he is in defence.

There is certainly an argument to have him in midfield due to the patheticness of Nicky Butt, but for the moment I think it is more important to have a stronger back four, to allow for a more competent midfield unit. Here's what I mean ... I believe with Faye in defence we will be able to better afford the probable risk of playing both Emre and Barton together in midfield and we absolutely have to give this partnership a chance now. I think this partnership in midfield will be our only real chance to wake up our attacking play, and Faye in defence will be crucial to this.

I'm reluctant to agree with you, but I know what you mean. Faye has looked immense at the back for us for the most part and I am nervous as hell with Taylor who even when he's playing well is liable to a costly gaffe. I think it was Keefaz who suggested Faye and Barton as centre mids. and I think that's quite tasty. Both have physical presence, Faye's athleticism alongside Barton's box to box running would make us much harder to crack. Add Martins up front and you have a counter-attack option again. For me, away from home Martins should be the first name on the sheet ahead of Owen or Viduka for that reason alone.

I'm reluctant to agree with you, but I know what you mean. Faye has looked immense at the back for us for the most part and I am nervous as hell with Taylor who even when he's playing well is liable to a costly gaffe. I think it was Keefaz who suggested Faye and Barton as centre mids. and I think that's quite tasty. Both have physical presence, Faye's athleticism alongside Barton's box to box running would make us much harder to crack. Add Martins up front and you have a counter-attack option again. For me, away from home Martins should be the first name on the sheet ahead of Owen or Viduka for that reason alone.

Exactly, and I like Cacapa but I feel the same way about him too!

At any point they might get outmuscled off the ball no matter how well they are going.

Faye getting pushed around is a no-no, never happening. He intimidates other team's strikers.

I want Faye back in Central Defence his is the best defender we got. I would like to see Martins upfront with Owen, Smith is not making an impact anywhere for us. At the moment the way Butt is playing I would like to see Geremi come in for him, however, I think Barton and Emre should get their chance 1st.

Beye straight back in. Carr was gash today and is simply not good enough.

Agree with the OP.

Beye is no-brainer, best full-back we've had in a long time.

Faye is terrific CB, probably top 10 in the league. Taylor and Cacapa are of similar ability, imo, and I'm not too bothered about which one of them starts with Faye. Though, starting Taylor would probably be the wisest, considering he's got his best years ahead of him. Also think he'll grow if he can form a partnership with Faye.

There's of course a point of playing Faye in midfield, something we perhaps should consider when playing top4 teams, but for most games, I think Barton and Emre should be given a chance to form a partnership. Note that it takes time for a CM partnership to form, much like it does for CB, so they should be given an extended run of games together (unless it's extremely bad, of course).

When it comes to Martins, I'm convinced he should play together with Owen upfront. Again, they'll need time on the pitch together. They'll be easy to slag off, as people will say that you need a big/small partnership, but I really don't agree with that. Look at Man U, they don't have a big targetman. If the Emre/Barton partnership works out, it should benefit both Martins and Owens game, both of them can pass the ball fairly accurately.

Geremi should be a utility man, he can cover for quite a few positions. Even though Carr has looked decent, I'd still have Geremi as back-up RB, I'd also have him as back-up CM and RW, if two out of Milner, Duff and Zoggy are unavailable.

I don't know why anyone would say putting Faye in midfield is a last resort. When he played there he's been the best passer of the ball on the pitch and the most composed while on the ball and under pressure.

People were saying Faye/Cacapa was the best central defence they'd ever seen us field before Pompey.  I think we should give it another chance now Cacapa has more confidence and experience in this league.

I don't know why anyone would say putting Faye in midfield is a last resort. When he played there he's been the best passer of the ball on the pitch and the most composed while on the ball and under pressure.

Second choice for me. Needed in defence and that I at the moment think we need as much attacking threat as possible (today we scored our first league-goal for about a month) edges it.

Not another tread about social integration in a post-imperialistic europe.. Don't we have enough of those already??

It's a crime if no one picks up on this little gems of wit, so I am.

Depends where you see our main weakness, if you think its the midfield then Faye should play in the midfield, if you think it is the defecne then Faye should play in the centre of defense. Simple as that really.

Persoanlly i think the weakiness lie in midfiled so i wouldnt think twice about putting faye in midfield.

I hope he works out, but ts far too early to have him down as a world class-type defender.

Yes, he's been good for us, but he's gotten himself into some trouble that really good centre backs really shouldn't, although granted he has normally good enough to recover the situation - but he can't rely on that, and shouldn't be making the errors in the first place.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, just that he isn't necessarily brilliant yet.

I hope he works out, but ts far too early to have him down as a world class-type defender.

Yes, he's been good for us, but he's gotten himself into some trouble that really good centre backs really shouldn't, although granted he has normally good enough to recover the situation - but he can't rely on that, and shouldn't be making the errors in the first place.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, just that he isn't necessarily brilliant yet.

We don't need him to be world class or brilliant, just better than what we've got which he is. In both defence and midfield which is sad but true.

Geremi can stay in Africa tbh. Beye should slot bacl in at left back, although Carr hasn't put a foot wrong.

Faye in the holding role instead of Butt, Oba upfront with Owen. Keegan will make it work.