Fitting in the Africans

KaKa

Team would be.....

Given

Beye  Taylor Cacapa Enrique\Zog

Faye

Emre        Barton           Duff\Zog

Martins       Owen

I like the look of that, maybe 3 at the back (drop taylor), with Zog behind the front 2, Duff/Enrique on the left if we're feeling lucky. ;)

We haven't got a good enough midfield to play Owen and Martins up front together in a 4-4-2 imo. We have enough trouble getting any sort of attack going. If you take away the option of a striker who can hold the ball up or win it in the air you are restricting the options we have even further. Opposing sides can close out our midfield leaving no option but to go long - and with two short strikers we are stuffed.

I don't know if it's just me but from what I've seen of Enrique at the back he doesn't convince me at all (all games on the telly like!)...

I would just about prefer to keep the zog there until he finds his feet. My main gripes about him are:

He seems really slow, easily turned and his passes (apart from the long diagonal) are average. I know he's just a lad and I think he might come good but I honestly prefer the positionally suspect Zog to our enrique at the moment...

Your comments

If we can keep the ball on the deck then the Owen and Martins partnership could work, but really with Viduka being as injury prone as he is and Smith not being able to score goals it makes Owen and Martins our best option.

No point not giving them the time to gel straight away, rather than wait for Viduka to pull up..

If we can keep the ball on the deck then the Owen and Martins partnership could work, but really with Viduka being as injury prone as he is and Smith not being able to score goals it makes Owen and Martins our best option.

No point not giving them the time to gel straight away, rather than wait for Viduka to pull up..

I always thought Martins and Owen worked better than Martins and the Duke

Problem we have is that we know Keegan will stick with Steven Carr.

I'd liek to stick Faye in DM as that's where our main problems lie. As for Martins he should go straight in up front, he will score a hat full under KK.

I'd liek to stick Faye in DM as that's where our main problems lie. As for Martins he should go straight in up front, he will score a hat full under KK.

How do we know he'll stick with Carr?

Oba's probably lost match fitness he was used that little.

I dont think i've ever seen Martins unfit TBF. More chance he's lost his sharpness infront of goal but TBH he never really had that.

Don't worry he will come back fit and fireing.

Because i dont believe KK will know too much about Beye yet and i think he not only rates Carr but thinks he's in good form.

Don't get me wrong i'd have Beye over Carr everyday of the week.

Because i dont believe KK will know too much about Beye yet and i think he not only rates Carr but thinks he's in good form.

Don't get me wrong i'd have Beye over Carr everyday of the week.

Would you have Beye on the Right wing? As that's one of out problem areas

Guest f***thepress

harper

beye faye taylor enrique

milner barton duff nzogbia

owen carroll

given;martins lua lua edgar cacapa emre

smith butt viduka geremi carr ramage ameobi rozenhal not good enough , need to leave at end of season.

Duff maybe better employed in central midfield , at least he can pass , unlike butt

Given , needs a rest or his bowel injury looked at again , rooted to the spot watching huths header slowly drop into the net - not like shay of old...

Oba's probably lost match fitness he was used that little.

I dont think i've ever seen Martins unfit TBF. More chance he's lost his sharpness infront of goal but TBH he never really had that.

Don't worry he will come back fit and fireing.

Martins gets way too much stick imo. Without his goals last season we would now be playing in the championship.

True enough but it wasn't only him.  For example Dyer's return to fitness and form was also a major contribution to us staying up and Nicky Butt had a good season. Last season is history but Martins has been poor often this season, he got plenty of games playing in his preferred position but his poor positional sense and lack of touch was making it difficult for the team to play to him. One of KK's biggest challenges will be getting Oba to work in this team. 

All start. Including Geremi.

Beye - Faye - Taylor - Enrique

Geremi - Barton - Emre - Duff/Zog

Martins - Owen

A tougher, faster team. Milner and Smith will make good subs.

WO!

Geremi should not be right wing under any circumstances, he's rubbish there.

All start. Including Geremi.

Beye - Faye - Taylor - Enrique

Geremi - Barton - Emre - Duff/Zog

Martins - Owen

A tougher, faster team. Milner and Smith will make good subs.

WO!

Geremi should not be right wing under any circumstances, he's rubbish.

FYP.

True enough but it wasn't only him.  For example Dyer's return to fitness and form was also a major contribution to us staying up and Nicky Butt had a good season. Last season is history but Martins has been poor often this season, he got plenty of games playing in his preferred position but his poor positional sense and lack of touch was making it difficult for the team to play to him. One of KK's biggest challenges will be getting Oba to work in this team. 

He hasn't really had that many playing in his preferred position, from about December onwards Fat Sam tended to play him as a winger-come-forward, on the right :doh:

Before that genius bit of selection he'd played 7 and scored 4.

Pre african nations Beye looked amazing at right back (with a few odd mistakes) but I have to say Carr has been quality in his absence. Hes got forward on occasions and has even stopped his silly fouls when he knows hes behind the opposition's winger. Don't know whether this will continue or whether he'll get fatigued but he deserves to stay there for the time being. Unsure whether Beye on the right wing would work despite his eagerness to get forward but its definately a position we are looking good in atm.

Agree that Carr hasn't done much to be dropped, but don't think many will argue he is a better player than Beye. Maybe a Beye-Faye CB partnership could be immense - I think Sunday Monday Habib Beye (I'm so sorry) played there once and looked good, and I don't have too much confidence in either Taylor or Cacapa. It's nice having all these options again.

Owen-Martins combination for me is best way forward, and a no-brainer seeing as Viduka is injured/lazy and Smith is crap. Get the ball on the deck and pass it into feet/space for those two to run onto, making use of Emre's creative ability. Happy with Faye in midfield or CB, but think CB better as a DM still needs to have some creative ability/drive etc., especially passing. Look at Hamann's passing ability, or that of Carrick. Don't see Faye as having enough of a creative spark and thus will waste a potential attack launching spot on midfield. Think try Barton and Emre, neither are that defensively minded but both can tackle hard enough to take a risk. If it's going to pot, bring in Butt/Faye and reorganise from there.

In conclusion, all of our African returnees bar Geremi should really be automatic starters.