Are you confident in Keegan dropping the underperformers?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Sniffer

Problem with Butt is we want him to not only win the ball but pass it as well. At manure he just had to slip it to somebody who could use it. The rest of the midfield is so lacking in creativity and ability that he's often the one who ends up with the ball.

Restricting people to only one choice of who to leave out is like a mild form of torture while we're playing Butt, Smith and Barton on a regular basis.

At least Barton can't play against Liverpool in a few weeks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest float one in

I didn't see this thread until just now, but calling Nicky Butt a non footballer makes me think you haven't watched vey much football.

I doubted him but he has got it right now. Same team for the next game too.

4-3-3 at White Hart Lane would be risky to say the least - and then the question becomes "Does Keegan have the balls to drop one of the strikers?"

I doubted him but he has got it right now. Same team for the next game too.

4-3-3 at White Hart Lane would be risky to say the least - and then the question becomes "Does Keegan have the balls to drop one of the strikers?"

There's no way he'll go 433 at WHL imo, would be fucking suicide considering how Spurs play. We'd get raped. I'd drop Martins for Zog and go 442, he can come on if necessary.

I think when Allardyce went, everyone expected the s**** players to follow, namely non-footballers like Butt and Smith. So far though this hasn't happened, Keegan seems to admire their battling qualities and workrate, and his non-activity in January (plus his comments about not being able to improve the squad) seem to suggest he thinks he can polish these turds.

After today's capitulation though, are you confident that Keegan will drop those who were most at fault? Not so sure myself.

Obviously this only concerns the rest of this season. But then what about the summer? Will the clearout we are hoping for materialise? :undecided:

I think this is an interesting question for the summer - I honestly think most people would agree that they'd like to see a ruthless cull of players next window...lets say money permitting we're talking about keeping (for example only) Owen, Martins, Zog, Taylor, Beye, Feye, Enrique, Given & Harper of the first team regulars...

There aren't many other players in the squad any of us would say are good enough or haven't had chance to prove themselves good enough - we all know these players can't cut it and need to be replaced.

Will KK be THAT ruthless this summer?  Even if he has the funds to be do you think he would?

Personally I reckon he'd keep the likes of Barton, Butt, Geremi and lord even Smith for their "experience".  I think he'll see it as currently we don't have a couple of genuinely class players and by adding them to the team these players will improve with their addition, if you see what I mean?

What I honestly think we'll get is more players being added to the current squad rather than the decimation of these wankers most of us actually want.  A Man City in the summer just gone, if you will.

I think when Allardyce went, everyone expected the s**** players to follow, namely non-footballers like Butt and Smith. So far though this hasn't happened, Keegan seems to admire their battling qualities and workrate, and his non-activity in January (plus his comments about not being able to improve the squad) seem to suggest he thinks he can polish these turds.

After today's capitulation though, are you confident that Keegan will drop those who were most at fault? Not so sure myself.

Obviously this only concerns the rest of this season. But then what about the summer? Will the clearout we are hoping for materialise? :undecided:

I think this is an interesting question for the summer - I honestly think most people would agree that they'd like to see a ruthless cull of players next window...lets say money permitting we're talking about keeping (for example only) Owen, Martins, Zog, Taylor, Beye, Feye, Enrique, Given & Harper of the first team regulars...

There aren't many other players in the squad any of us would say are good enough or haven't had chance to prove themselves good enough - we all know these players can't cut it and need to be replaced.

Will KK be THAT ruthless this summer?  Even if he has the funds to be do you think he would?

Personally I reckon he'd keep the likes of Barton, Butt, Geremi and lord even Smith for their "experience".  I think he'll see it as currently we don't have a couple of genuinely class players and by adding them to the team these players will improve with their addition, if you see what I mean?

What I honestly think we'll get is more players being added to the current squad rather than the decimation of these wankers most of us actually want.  A Man City in the summer just gone, if you will.

I would keep most of these players, unless we get good offers for some of them, because we don't have the squad. He needs to bring in 3 or 4 quality players to push us back into the top 6 or thereabouts as soon as possible, adding to the current group of players.

David Bentley's price is going to go up and up. I'd like to think we could at least have tried to buy him in january, if not then we should have done. This is the quality of player we need to bring into the club. I'm not interested in the cost of these players. If we want to get back up the league, we simply have to pay the price and if we don't show this desire to succeed then the club is letting its supporters down ie the size of our fanbase and crowds demand it.

The only player I would let go is Ameobi. I'd sell him for 10 bob to be honest.  Some others for the right price too, obviously. I think that Beye is the best right back at the club that we have had for a long time. Enrique is looking better all the time, I quite like him too. I think people are being unfair on Taylor, most players at the club have had a difficult season, it would be a mistake to sell him and if he is put up for sale there will be some good clubs interested in him. I think the club should strive to persuade zoggy see the club has a big future, and also players like Edgar should be made to see he has a future at the club too.

Players such as Butt, Barton [good game yesterday] and Emre will stay until we have superior replacements. I think I would let Emre go for the right price. Maybe Duff if he continues to show he isn't going to be the player he was, but only when we get someone into the club to go straight into the team.

I'm more convinced than ever, that if Keegan is backed properly by the owner he will succeed.

He dumped David Kelly who he didnt think would cut it in the Premiership, despite him being brilliant in the promotion season.

Guest Knightrider

I always knew he'd do what he feels needs to be done and he's done just that. The timing of his decision to drop some of the underperformers has surprised me mind and so has the new formation and new use of Owen. I expected minimal changes until the summer where there will be big changes btw, but he's starting early it seems and positive changes too. All good stuff if you ask me.

I always knew he'd do what he feels needs to be done and he's done just that. The timing of his decision to drop some of the underperformers has surprised me mind and so has the new formation and new use of Owen. I expected minimal changes until the summer where there will be big changes btw, but he's starting early it seems and positive changes too. All good stuff if you ask me.

it has coincided with the return to fitness of viduka and martins. no real surprise there

Is Geremi an under performer more than Alan Smith is or are both just as bad as each other ?

Assist for the second goal, and a major part in the first. Contributed more yesterday than what Smith has all season.

In other words 2 assists? Can't be bad surely. When did Duff ever do that in one game? Or even Milner?

And no Duff on the bench? KK has found him out then.

I would keep most of these players, unless we get good offers for some of them, because we don't have the squad. He needs to bring in 3 or 4 quality players to push us back into the top 6 or thereabouts as soon as possible, adding to the current group of players.

David Bentley's price is going to go up and up. I'd like to think we could at least have tried to buy him in january, if not then we should have done. This is the quality of player we need to bring into the club. I'm not interested in the cost of these players. If we want to get back up the league, we simply have to pay the price and if we don't show this desire to succeed then the club is letting its supporters down ie the size of our fanbase and crowds demand it.

The only player I would let go is Ameobi. I'd sell him for 10 bob to be honest.  Some others for the right price too, obviously. I think that Beye is the best right back at the club that we have had for a long time. Enrique is looking better all the time, I quite like him too. I think people are being unfair on Taylor, most players at the club have had a difficult season, it would be a mistake to sell him and if he is put up for sale there will be some good clubs interested in him. I think the club should strive to persuade zoggy see the club has a big future, and also players like Edgar should be made to see he has a future at the club too.

Players such as Butt, Barton [good game yesterday] and Emre will stay until we have superior replacements. I think I would let Emre go for the right price. Maybe Duff if he continues to show he isn't going to be the player he was, but only when we get someone into the club to go straight into the team.

I'm more convinced than ever, that if Keegan is backed properly by the owner he will succeed.

can't say i disagree with a lot of that, problem is what you're aiming for at the beginning as i see it - you're talking 3 or 4 quality players and i don't see that as enough, especially if that's what you're aiming for at the beginning meaning you might not even get that many

personally as a minimum i reckon we need to aim for at least one TOP quality CB to play with Faye/Taylor...keep cacapa as 4th choice if you like

we need quality cover in the fullback positions too, so lets say one player who can play RB/LB

we desperately need new midfielders, i'm gonna say 2 CM's as a minimum plus a RW with pace/better quality (bentley for me, agreed) probably...

personally strikers i'd not tinker with too much this time, keep owen/martins/viduka but sign one TOP quality striker as well with pace and strength

i make that 6 players needed as a minimum, aiming for anything else is selling us short again

He dumped David Kelly who he didnt think would cut it in the Premiership, despite him being brilliant in the promotion season.

I'm not talking about him cutting one player am I?  I'm talking about him binning half the squad. 

It's very refreshing to see a manager changing the team when needed and not sticking to the same formations which have resulted in losses. With Allardyce we were all subjected to the same old useless shit (Smith in midfield, Martins wide right, Milner on the left etc.), and with Roeder, he wouldn't (couldn't?) change the team unless it was forced upon him by injuries.

It's very refreshing to see a manager changing the team when needed and not sticking to the same formations which have resulted in losses. With Allardyce we were all subjected to the same old useless s*** (Smith in midfield, Martins wide right, Milner on the left etc.), and with Roeder, he wouldn't (couldn't?) change the team unless it was forced upon him by injuries.

took kk 9 or 10 games to get there like buy yeah, you're right...it's what we've needed and he's done it so fair play

also very pleased with the owen tactical move...i've been saying for a while we need to sign a deep lying forward to link the play 'cause our midfield is so shit, and kk has seen that himself and adapted a current player not many saw being able to do it

this new system also plays to martins strengths as he finally seems to be getting some coaching about the kind of runs to make in order to utilise his pace and stretch defences, the kind of coaching he was obviously not getting under roder/allardyce

hopefully he'll continue to be as bold next season when we (presumably) have better CM's and defenders

I think you're spot on with most of that.  Newcastle don't have any depth in their squad right now, so I wouldn't sell anyone in the summer window (when there are more players available) and offload the deadwood in January (when with less players available, you may get a better fee). 

The point I can't agree with is the need for 3 or 4 quality players to make a push for the top 6, I think it need more like half a dozen players or more deemed to be first team starters and, even then, I don't think the quality of the squad players would be good enough for the top 6.  All of the top teams are continually improving their squads just to maintain their position and starting at such a low squad position, it will take Newcastle a lot more to make significant strides.  Finally, when the players have been recruited, it could still take them up to a season to settle into their new surroundings and start performing to the anticipated level.  I don't think Newcastle will be challenging for a top 6 position for 2 years, probably 3.  I may well be wrong but that's how I see it right now.