What happens when Martins returns?

Decky

Starting to get worried after reading that article where KK gives Smith the vote of confidence. Surely KK isnt going to play Smith and Owen up front? Would he drop either? IMO it must be Martins and Owen or Martins and someone. Martins has tons of pace and that is what will get us goals at the moment, we seen last season how sides like Boro couldnt handle his pace and those are the sides that 1 we cant beat at the moment and 2 we are in a relegation battle with.

Martins plays. End of.

Whilst he's far from perfect, he's the only forward we've got who can create something on his own and given the poor service from midfield we need someone like that.

His pace terrifies people, and with him playing then we'll open teams up more, this will create more space for the rest of the team and everyone will benefit.

Martins plays. End of.

Whilst he's far from perfect, he's the only forward we've got who can create something on his own and given the poor service from midfield we need someone like that.

His pace terrifies people, and with him playing then we'll open teams up more, this will create more space for the rest of the team and everyone will benefit.

Pace is the wrong word to be fair. It's his ability to have a snap shop at goal.

Smith doesn't even look at the goal in a game, where as Martins would shoot from 40 yards if it dropped right.

Martins plays. End of.

Pace is the wrong word to be fair. It's his ability to have a snap shop at goal.

Smith doesn't even look at the goal in a game, where as Martins would shoot from 40 yards if it dropped right.

Whilst he does have the ability to have snap shots, I think his pace is more of a worry to the opposition. He has genuine pace, and the ability and willingness to go past his man. Something that is lacking in the rest of our forward line and it's that pace that creates space for others when he goes on runs (With or without the ball).

Martins and Faye must start every game when fit and so must enrique.

HArper

Beye    Faye    Taylor      Enrique

Butt

Zog

Milner                              Duff

Owen    Martins

Subs

Given

Cacapa

Barton

Emre

Viduka

Martins plays. End of.

Whilst he does have the ability to have snap shots, I think his pace is more of a worry to the opposition. He has genuine pace, and the ability and willingness to go past his man. Something that is lacking in the rest of our forward line and it's that pace that creates space for others when he goes on runs (With or without the ball).

He certainly posesses that pace. With Owen and Martins in the side the threat is there, regardless of whether people think Owen has lost it.

They are also both good in the air.

HArper

Beye     Faye     Taylor      Enrique

Butt

Zog

Milner                               Duff

Owen    Martins

Subs

Given

Cacapa

Barton

Emre

Viduka

With Butt's ability to pass the ball away EVERYTIME he gets the ball, how can you even place him on the bench? Barton and Emre, or Faye and Emre in CM for me.

HArper

Beye    Faye    Taylor      Enrique

Butt

Zog

Milner                              Duff

Owen    Martins

Subs

Given

Cacapa

Barton

Emre

Viduka

With Butt's ability to pass the ball away EVERYTIME he gets the ball, how can you even place him on the bench? Barton and Emre, or Faye and Emre in CM for me.

Barton has been terrible and is going to prison , Emre is too lightweight and isn't consistent, Faye is needed in defence....

Butt gets it by default for me. Of course we need better, but we don't have better available.

I do rate Martins, but have you actually seen him get past his man? In the games I've watched, Viduka gets past his man far more frequently (and with surprising ease) than Martins does despite his lack of pace.

This is my main concern as well. I thought things would be different under Keegan than they were under Allardyce, but players are still being played out of position and our best players are warming the bench. I realise Keegan needs time to assess the players he has in training but if he doesn't make the right decisions after the two week break then we're fooked.

Martins simply has to play.

The fact that KK has made Owen captain worries me. It means that Owen will now be an automatic name on the teamsheet, regardless of form or formations. Can Owen and Martins play together? More importantly will they be given time and games together to forge a partnership?

Im not convinced they will. KK i feel will play Viduka if hes properly fit/arsed.

I go with the general consensus though that Martins must play every game. He can win games through a bit of individual brilliance, which is something lacking in every other NUFC player at present, bar Charlie and maybe Viduka.

HArper

Beye     Faye     Taylor      Enrique

Butt

Zog

Milner                               Duff

Owen    Martins

Subs

Given

Cacapa

Barton

Emre

Viduka

Barton has been terrible and is going to prison , Emre is too lightweight and isn't consistent, Faye is needed in defence....

Butt gets it by default for me. Of course we need better, but we don't have better available.

Faye could cover the defence excellent in a midfield position. Also where we lack most is at corners/freekicks into our area, where he will be as an DM. We need huge bastard to win those balls, unless most strikers could get hatricks against us..

I do rate Martins, but have you actually seen him get past his man? In the games I've watched, Viduka gets past his man far more frequently (and with surprising ease) than Martins does despite his lack of pace.

Yes.

Martins and Owen, please. Martins will create goals for himself, while Owen will get on the end of good deliveries, and that's where our goals will come from. Bollocks to all talk about that we need a big/small forward-partnership. Owen and Martins complement eachother just fine.

By far my biggest concern.

f*** partnerships with Owen, when Martins play we are more threatening, that's a fact IMO. I'd play them both and try and work on our delivery.

ironically given the difference in size between viduka and martins the same problem will arise (as with owen) the ball must be played into feet or chest as neither is really going to win much in the air 30yds out. what you gain with martins pace (shy pace that it is as he doesn't like using it in public) you lose with his control and the oopsite on this occasion with viduka........no long high balls to scrap for.

lets be the first club in the world to throw away 2 players. Just take butt and smith and throw them in the bin.

butt is playing now like when he first came and it makes him look bad for the lack of others movement and nouse as it did a few years ago.

we may as well play Owen and Martins up front when we're at home to teams like Fulham, Reading, Sunderland. we're going to be attacking most the time against these so there's no explicit need for a targetman to structure our play by bringing down hopeless punts from Given. Martins can play on the shoulder and run out wide, while Owen can link play and, when we get the ball to the wingers or if there is a set-piece, he is on hand with his lethal movement around the 6 yard box. Martins' pace will buy Owen more time on the ball and push opposition defences deep while Owen's link play is adequate enough to help play in Martins beyond the backline. shit teams like that would love to face a player like Smith, who they can easily match in strength and willingness, it's quality against which they come unstuck.

they are a pairing that won't really work away from home tho, not enough strength or aerial impact, the opposition will just defend a high line and Owen will be a passenger useless on the break.

Away from Home Martins must play alongside someone who has enough presence and enough skill to play both deep and compete in the air. so either Viduka or Smith, ideally Viduka as he is more of a goal threat and has better control and vision than Smith.