Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

The Sevilla guy is Diego Capel, amazing this year and young

We should not be signing any more Spaniards.

Aye, that Arteta would be s*** too.

We won't be getting Arteta

Just saying it's ridiculous to write off an entire nationality due to one or two flops. As NM points out, start doing that and we'll end up with nobody.

I'd be quite happy if we never signed another Spaniard again.

even fabregas?

Yes lets spunk £60m on one player.

A BRILLIANT player, though, you must admit.

What nationality WOULD you have us buy? What nationality have we bought that isn't shit? Peruvian? Paddy?

Aye, that Arteta would be shit too.

So he's the only spanish player who isnt shit?

Straw man argument O0

No, but they don't seem to exactly settle in here do they.  Arteta was used as a completely pointless example.

He joined a club that many NUFC fans (incorrectly) see as being beneath us. And is ace.

How many Spanish players have we had here who've done bad? Out of how many Spanish pro footballers? Personally, I like our odds of finding a decent one (assuming we tell Willie McKay we've moved house, and don't give him a forwarding address).

As an extension of your argument, we wouldn't have signed Abdoulaye Faye or Beye, after our experience with Amady "Absolutely Cosksuckingly Awful" Faye.

Paragraph 1 - He wasn't considered that good when they signed him.  Fair play to them for picking him up.  I'll say it again though, he'll not be coming here.

Paragraph 2 - Every one we have signed

Paragraph 3 - Another Straw Man argument.  I'm talking about Spaniards, who typically don't settle in this region, or even country.

Just saying it's ridiculous to write off an entire nationality due to one or two flops. As NM points out, start doing that and we'll end up with nobody.

I'd be quite happy if we never signed another Spaniard again.

even fabregas?

Yes lets spunk £60m on one player.

A BRILLIANT player, though, you must admit.

What nationality WOULD you have us buy? What nationality have we bought that isn't shit? Peruvian? Paddy?

Of course, one of the best already, crazy talent, but if we'd snapped him up from Barca he'd be back in Spain right now struggling to make a career for himself.

Spaniards apart from the very best don't really do too well in the prem, and Spaniards for NUFC have been nothing short of comical.

We'd manage to take Arteta backwards if we signed him, i could put my house on it.

I'd like to see more Germans especially defending Germans, and some Dutch creativity. Both leagues are pretty physical and a very good player should be able to adapt and win enough time to be allowed to settle.

The Spanish are generally made of piss water imo, i wouldn't touch any Africans either due to the ANC, move that to a European friendly slot and i'd be shopping there.

Straw man argument O0

No, but they don't seem to exactly settle in here do they.  Arteta was used as a completely pointless example.

He joined a club that many NUFC fans (incorrectly) see as being beneath us. And is ace.

How many Spanish players have we had here who've done bad? Out of how many Spanish pro footballers? Personally, I like our odds of finding a decent one (assuming we tell Willie McKay we've moved house, and don't give him a forwarding address).

As an extension of your argument, we wouldn't have signed Abdoulaye Faye or Beye, after our experience with Amady "Absolutely Cosksuckingly Awful" Faye.

Paragraph 1 - He wasn't considered that good when they signed him.  Fair play to them for picking him up.  I'll say it again though, he'll not be coming here.

Paragraph 3 - Another Straw Man argument.  I'm talking about Spaniards, who typically don't settle in this region, or even country.

How many spaniards have and have not settled in this country? I'm intrigued, as you have clearly done some research, if you can talk about "typical" behaviour.

how is Bentley unrealistic? if we put in a big enough bid he'd jump at the chance imo.

Why? ???

he plays for blackburn and this is a far, far bigger club with more potential and the ability to offer bigger wages. where we are in the table this season isn't that relevant. not to say we'd get him, but if we were the only side in for him i couldn't see him turning us down.

They're a smaller team than us, certainly - we are an average sized club, they are not. More potential? More money, certainly, but lets not pretend we are anywhere fuckng nearrealising our "potential". Some fools thought Bramble, Dire, Shola et al had "potential" - but it didn't stop them being of very little value to us.

But with a new, well established manager at the helm in the form of Keegan, there is arguably alot of promise for next season's campaign and I'm sure players such as Bentley could be swayed because of this.

Are you? You think they'd take a backwards step in the hope that a manager (for whom they have no particularly positive feelings that we are aware of, and who has poven to be a pretty medicore manager since a brief moment of apparent genius at NUFC over a decade ago) will turn around a club that has not done anything for a long? Keegan is not well-established manager in the sense of being a great manager, so why woud a player like Bentley want to coem here, other than money? And if we accept that signing for the money is perfectly reasonable, i hope that we have the honesty to accept also that these players may well have more genuine feeling for their country than their club - because if we acccept the former and not the latter, we will be bigger c***s than Gasuso.

I agree, Keegan's not particularly well established in terms of what he's achieved but he carries quite a strong reputation. He's held in quite high esteem among players that he's managed - Anelka being one example and so maybe this could act as an incentive in playing for Newcastle. I don't see why Keegan can't turn the club around  - he's done it not just with Newcastle but with Fulham and City also and with the strong financial backing he now has, you couldn't completely write off him taking us into the top 6 and in this respect Newcastle do show mroe potential than the likes of Blackburn.

how is Bentley unrealistic? if we put in a big enough bid he'd jump at the chance imo.

Why? ???

he plays for blackburn and this is a far, far bigger club with more potential and the ability to offer bigger wages. where we are in the table this season isn't that relevant. not to say we'd get him, but if we were the only side in for him i couldn't see him turning us down.

They're a smaller team than us, certainly - we are an average sized club, they are not. More potential? More money, certainly, but lets not pretend we are anywhere fuckng nearrealising our "potential". Some fools thought Bramble, Dire, Shola et al had "potential" - but it didn't stop them being of very little value to us.

But with a new, well established manager at the helm in the form of Keegan, there is arguably alot of promise for next season's campaign and I'm sure players such as Bentley could be swayed because of this.

Are you? You think they'd take a backwards step in the hope that a manager (for whom they have no particularly positive feelings that we are aware of, and who has poven to be a pretty medicore manager since a brief moment of apparent genius at NUFC over a decade ago) will turn around a club that has not done anything for a long? Keegan is not well-established manager in the sense of being a great manager, so why woud a player like Bentley want to coem here, other than money? And if we accept that signing for the money is perfectly reasonable, i hope that we have the honesty to accept also that these players may well have more genuine feeling for their country than their club - because if we acccept the former and not the latter, we will be bigger c***s than Gasuso.

I agree, Keegan's not particularly well established in terms of what he's achieved but he carries quite a strong reputation. He's held in quite high esteem among players that he's managed - Anelka being one example and so maybe this could act as an incentive in playing for Newcastle. I don't see why Keegan can't turn the club around  - he's done it not just with Newcastle but with Fulham and City also and with the strong financial backing he now has, you couldn't completely write off him taking us into the top 6 and in this respect Newcastle do show mroe potential than the likes of Blackburn.

Like i say, financially we have more potential. But they have a better manager, imho.

I don't know how much KK is held in "high esteem" by players, or indeed why this would be so. In reality, he did ok at citeh, nothing spectacular overall - i think Fulham is the only job he's left on a high for a while, and that was to move to a job in which he was way, way out of his depth. I don't see why KK would be that much of a draw these days - the glory days are a long, long time ago.

Straw man argument O0

How many spaniards have and have not settled in this country? I'm intrigued, as you have clearly done some research, if you can talk about "typical" behaviour.

Enrique, Marcelino, Luque, Morientes for a start.  Thats without trawling Liverpool's reserve side of the last 2-3 years mind.

Straw man argument O0

Enrique, Marcelino, Luque, Morientes for a start.  Thats without trawling Liverpool's reserve side of the last 2-3 years mind.

What about Almunia, Fabregas, Alonso, Campo, Torres?

So he's the only spanish player who isnt s***?

Straw man argument O0

Enrique, imo, has been one of our better players as of yet and there's nothing to suggest that he's out of sorts with Newcastle so I'm a little unsure as to how you can come to the conclusion that he's unsettled.

Straw man argument O0

You do realise you are in a thread about realistic transfer targets?  Whether we like it or not, at least 4 of that 5 wouldnt have turned down the blubs they did go to to come here.  Like I said in my opnion we shouldn't bother with any more Spaniards.  Obviously that doesn't fit with your opinion so it must be wrong.

Straw man argument O0

Its taken Almunia 4 year or something daft to look remotely playable.

Campo is terrible and Alonso had been off the boil for several seasons.

Torres has been ok for his price and rep, still time for it to go pear shaped.

Add barragan, Reyes, Hierro, Luis Garcia (shite in the league), Raul Bravo, Del Horno, Alonso's brother,

Straw man argument O0

You do realise you are in a thread about realistic transfer targets?  Whether we like it or not, at least 4 of that 5 wouldnt have turned down the blubs they did go to to come here.  Like I said in my opnion we shouldn't bother with any more Spaniards.  Obviously that doesn't fit with your opinion so it must be wrong.

I quoted those players as those who have settled into this country, as a direct response to YOUR post regarding those who had not - following on form one where you made a statement about "typical behaviour". But please continue to shift the point of the discussion backwards and forwards if someone points out that you have made a groundless comment.

Enrique, imo, has been one of our better players as of yet and there's nothing to suggest that he's out of sorts with Newcastle so I'm a little unsure as to how you can come to the conclusion that he's unsettled.

Why do you think he isn't playing (out of interest)

Was injured against Arsenal in the Prem and Carr was likely given the nod against Villa because he's done ok as of late and Enrique may not have been fully fit.

So he's the only spanish player who isnt s***?

Straw man argument O0

Erm, he's been ok, but he's shown some worrying defficiencies. But that hasn't stopped NUFC fans from putting on their balck and white tinted specs, and saying he's got superhuman strength, incredible passing, or some other such made up crap.

Straw man argument O0

I quoted those players as those who have settled into this country, as a direct response to YOUR post regarding those who had not - following on form one where you made a statement about "typical behaviour". But please continue to shift the point of the discussion backwards and forwards if someone points out that you have made a groundless comment.

Right.......

We are in a thread about players we can realistically expect to sign

I said I wouldnt bother with any Spaniards

We're not likely to attract players of the calibre of Alonso, Fabregas and Torres in our current predicament.  I wouldn't sign any average Spanish players.

I think that we'd be better off trying our luck elsewhere.  I really dont understand what your problem is with me thinking this?

Backwards and forwards?  I'm not shifting the point backwards and forwards, realistically I wouldn't sign any Spaniards.  Perhaps I should just keep posting "I wouldn't sign any Spaniards" rather than trying to develop a discussion about it?

Was injured against Arsenal in the Prem and Carr was likely given the nod against Villa because he's done ok as of late and Enrique may not have been fully fit.

What about the period before the last 3 or 4 weeks though?

Straw man argument O0

Right.......

We're not likely to attract players of the calibre of Alonso, Fabregas and Torres in our current predicament.  I wouldn't sign any average Spanish players.

I think that we'd be better off trying our luck elsewhere.  I really dont understand what your problem is with me thinking this?

Backwards and forwards?  I'm not shifting the point backwards and forwards, realistically I wouldn't sign any Spaniards.  Perhaps I should just keep posting "I wouldn't sign any Spaniards" rather than trying to develop a discussion about it?

When i tried to discuss your post of you no signing any spaniards/the "typical" behaviourof them, you suddenly said the thread was about realistic targets. There was me thinking that threads evolved.

So, what are you basing your "typical" not settling in on, then? Just a feeling you got, when you thought abotu it for 5 seconds?

What about the period before the last 3 or 4 weeks though?

Ask Allardyce - I'd have been happy to play him. Regardless, just because he wasn't playing doesn't go to suggest he's unsettled. Zog's reportedly unsettled at the moment and he still plays every week.

Straw man argument O0

Right.......

When i tried to discuss your post of you no signing any spaniards/the "typical" behaviourof them, you suddenly said the thread was about realistic targets. There was me thinking that threads evolved.

So, what are you basing your "typical" not settling in on, then? Just a feeling you got, when you thought abotu it for 5 seconds?

The three out of three we've had here are what its based on (I admit I am assuming Enrique is struggling to settle in here, but it would explain why he isn't playing, his communcation certainly appears to be poor.  I admit thats an assumption).  There's a fair list of Liverpools spanish flops in here now, to compliment your 2 successes they've had though.

You've missed the point though.  I'd certainly take Torres, Alonso and Fabregas.  They however are exceptions,  anyone would take them, but we're not going to attract that calibre of player.  Out of the players we can most likely attract, I'd not be spending much money on Spaniards.  At the level we are at at the moment, I'd rather we spent our money elsewhere.

Like I say,  thats nothing more than my opinion.

Attempting to constructively move this on though are there any Spanish players you'd think we could and should sign?

Guest Sniffer

I don't think spaniards have been any worse than frenchmen when it comes to settling in here. I'm not sure I'd touch any of them again as we've been burnt time after time.

What's your problem with Owen?

Well he hasn't exactly been a great signing has he? He's been a more expensive version of Luque, who was always injured aswell. I think if Owen was foreign he would've been shown the door already.