Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

We need players who are hungry for success, none of these players who are looking for a big pay day. I'm sure there are plenty of talented youngsters around the world who would love to play in the premiership.

Talented youngsters around the world usually also have work permit problems.  Talented youngsters around Europe worth signing have invariably been snaffled up by bigger fish.  Imo best to go for experienced players, maybe fringe players at quality european clubs who are looking to play rather than just sitting on the bench.  They would also benefit the youngsters you have got with their experience.

Watched Miguel Veloso the other week playing for Sporting. Looked a good player, quite strong actually. Played as a DM, good first touch.

Someone told me the Portuguese media were saying he's been linked with some big clubs but as far as i know, no bids have been made.

I don't work in football but the boy looks quality to me, with athleticism to match.

Manu want him, i reckon Carrick to us and him to them wouldn't be too off the mark in the summer.

one tabloid is againthis morning  linking Veloso with Man Ure. I would definitely take Carrick if they`re willing to let him go and if he`d come to us. Rather spend the money on a proven established player rather than splashing out 15m+ on a couple foreigners who turn out to be rubbish

Carrick? This thread is entitled "REALISTIC summer targets"

There isn't a chance in hell that Carrick is going to come from one of the best teams in the world to a team that has maybe 2 or 3 quality players, a nowhere manager and no prospect of winning a trophy in the next five years. Get over it. Much better to scour the championship for hungry players and let them bed in for a few years. Look at what happened with Owen. Need to BUILD and ACCEPT that it is going to take YEARS. Priority is just to STAY IN THE PREM for at least 3 seasons.

Potentially attainable targets who could be good for us, from the prem that I can think of: Agbonlahor, Carrick, Pennant, Bentley, Yobo, Kranjcar, Ireland, Santa Cruz, Doyle, Shorey, Bellamy, Ashton, Chimbonda, Nelsen, Samba, Muntari. Just off the top of my head.

I'm well aware that most of those players currently are important to teams who are higher than us in the premiership, but ambition is essential this summer. If we're going to improve dramatically, we will find it very difficult without proven ability in this league. We are going to have to spend big to bridge the gap back to the European places, and we should have enough clout in the market that teams like Blackburn and Portsmouth will find it tough to hold on to their players should we come calling.

"attainable" - Santa Cruz??? Agbonlahor???? Carrick????? Bentley?????? Are you quite insane?

We need players who are hungry for success, none of these players who are looking for a big pay day. I'm sure there are plenty of talented youngsters around the world who would love to play in the premiership.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Potentially attainable targets who could be good for us, from the prem that I can think of: Agbonlahor, Carrick, Pennant, Bentley, Yobo, Kranjcar, Ireland, Santa Cruz, Doyle, Shorey, Bellamy, Ashton, Chimbonda, Nelsen, Samba, Muntari. Just off the top of my head.

+ Barton

Record them christmas party's and sell them!

You would make a FORTUNE!

I'd love Carrick to join.  Who knows who Man Utd will sign in the summer, it may just push Carrick out.  With the right display of ambition by the club, some top players come in, you'd have to think it would tempt the boy.  It's his hometown club, hes still a Geordie, he would relish it I'd hope.

Any top striker from the ANC we could look at?  A Drogba style striker? 

For the first time, I haven't a clue of who we could sign - b/c quite frankly I thought the lads we signed last summer would be excellent players. 

1 Drogba Style Striker

1 Attacking Creative Midfielder - Van Der Vaart mold.

1 Right Winger with blistering pace - Hell i'd even take Routledge, at least he can beat a man.

1 Defensive Midfielder OR play Faye there.

1 Commanding Center Back - Van Buyten perhaps?

2-4 BETTER Squad players.

Hell the more i think of it, we do need a 7-10 new players...is that even possible?

Oh and we needa hitman, to take out the only player in the EPL who thinks a Mohawk/Bleaching part of his hair is still the cool thing to do....Alan Useless Smith.

one very good signing would instil a confidence for others to follo.

i honestly feel if we had pulled woody off in jan then a couple more may have come in.

It's a bit shit if pulling him off was all that stopped him from coming here.

one very good signing would instil a confidence for others to follo.

i honestly feel if we had pulled woody off in jan then a couple more may have come in.

It's a bit s*** if pulling him off was all that stopped him from coming here.

;D

I'd love Carrick to join.  Who knows who Man Utd will sign in the summer, it may just push Carrick out.  With the right display of ambition by the club, some top players come in, you'd have to think it would tempt the boy.  It's his hometown club, hes still a Geordie, he would relish it I'd hope.

Why do we keep showing one way loyalty to players who have never given a monkey's chuff about us in the past? Fat Fred kept trying to sign Carrick and Matt Jansen based on their north east heritage. Carrick preferred West Ham and Jansen chose Blackburn. So of course, now he's playing for Man U's first team, Carrick is suddenly going to give it all up to come 'home'.

carrick is in the right team where he is,as a player i never particularly rated at west ham or spuds, he fits right in at man utd. time to pick passes,always accurate. he could be one of those who has to be in the right team.

Why do we keep showing one way loyalty to players who have never given a monkey's chuff about us in the past? Fat Fred kept trying to sign Carrick and Matt Jansen based on their north east heritage. Carrick preferred West Ham and Jansen chose Blackburn. So of course, now he's playing for Man U's first team, Carrick is suddenly going to give it all up to come 'home'.

The only time I know that we've looked at Carrick was when we needed a replacement for Butt, Robson wanted Carrick but Shepherd told him he'd have to wait until January to get him as his contract was up that Summer, we signed Butt for around the same money West Ham wanted for Carrick and he went to Spurs later that Summer.

The only time I know that we've looked at Carrick was when we needed a replacement for Butt, Robson wanted Carrick but Shepherd told him he'd have to wait until January to get him as his contract was up that Summer, we signed Butt for around the same money West Ham wanted for Carrick and he went to Spurs later that Summer.

can you back that up ?

can you back that up ?

Yes.

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Speed's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' Having let Hugo Viana go back to Portugal, to play more football, we had lost two left footed midfielders. I needed to plug that hole and so, when my indignation had subsided, I gave the chairman four names - Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Mark Van Bommel and Sean Davis.

'Why don't you bring Carrick in, he's talented, and he's a Geordie,' I suggested but the chairman was reluctant to pay West Ham £3 million for Carrick's services. His view was that he could acquire him for £500,000 in the January transfer window. Freddy Shepherd honestly believed that Carrick would not move to any Premier league club but Newcastle. He was in the last year of his contract at Upton Park - hence Freddy's belief that West Ham would have to unload him for a reduced fee in January.

I told him 'Look, chairman, if another club comes in and pays West Ham the money they're looking for, they will not turn that money down.' Michael Carrick signed for Tottenham Hotspur that summer.

can you back that up ?

Yes.

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Speed's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' Having let Hugo Viana go back to Portugal, to play more football, we had lost two left footed midfielders. I needed to plug that hole and so, when my indignation had subsided, I gave the chairman four names - Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Mark Van Bommel and Sean Davis.

'Why don't you bring Carrick in, he's talented, and he's a Geordie,' I suggested but the chairman was reluctant to pay West Ham £3 million for Carrick's services. His view was that he could acquire him for £500,000 in the January transfer window. Freddy Shepherd honestly believed that Carrick would not move to any Premier league club but Newcastle. He was in the last year of his contract at Upton Park - hence Freddy's belief that West Ham would have to unload him for a reduced fee in January.

I told him 'Look, chairman, if another club comes in and pays West Ham the money they're looking for, they will not turn that money down.' Michael Carrick signed for Tottenham Hotspur that summer.

you got me there...i thought he went to spuds for more than that.

then again even at spurs he never imprssed me so where does that leave us ?

can you back that up ?

Yes.

'What?' I exclaimed.

you got me there...i thought he went to spuds for more than that.

then again even at spurs he never imprssed me so where does that leave us ?

I think he's a player who you don't realise what he offers a team until you take him out of it, he really is a top class player and starts plenty of Man Utd's attacks with his fantastic range of passing, if you've got fast wide men and attackers (which we need) then a player of his ability hitting balls into spaces for them to run onto is worth every penny that they paid for him.

I think Spurs missed him at last season but Huddlestone looks like filling his shoes now.

I would take Carrick in a flash, think he;s exactly what we need, someone who can find a pass. The thing is is that as it stands we are in the same position as Middlesbrough, our only selling point  really is our ambition, what kind of player that brings us who knows, i think its a safe bet that any big player in the prem who's not looking for a pay day but success would come here, so that rules out the likes of Bentley and Carrick etc in my book, i think all our big signings will come from abroad to be honest.

How much for Carrick this summer to twist Man U's hand to sell?

£25m maybe? Thats a quarter of the way to £100m on one player btw.

Offer what they paid for him and hope he's home sick, it's a starting point and probably our only selling point to him.

can you back that up ?

Yes.

'What?' I exclaimed.

There's an insight. I've always rated Carrick personally but hated the fact he 'rejected' us for West Ham and then Spurs.

Fat Fred strikes again.

How much for Carrick this summer to twist Man U's hand to sell?

£25m maybe? Thats a quarter of the way to £100m on one player btw.

Offer what they paid for him and hope he's home sick, it's a starting point and probably our only selling point to him.

I think we as fans are looking at the fallacies of the club entirely wrong, i dont doubt for one second that money needs to be spent, but the figures being bandied about are ridiculous, we need to be aiming for the top half before we go looking for Europe, its about expectation and the higher we raise the expectation the more sensitive the trip wire becomes.

Personally i would be happy to see the club cement a top half finish before we go making proper strides into the top 6/7.

If we go about spending huge amount of money, and only achieve a top half finish, what effect does that have on the club and its fans? Personally i dont think it'd be particularly healthy.

We havent seen a team yet play anywhere nears its potential, i dont buy into this the whole squad is shit, deep down everyone at this club knows that there are some excellent players at this club, we need to be punching our weight at present.

Look at the effrect that heavy investment had on Tottenham, it needed a set up to get them flowing inthe right direction, and they are now in a posotion of power because of it, i genuinely belive that brining in 7-10 new players will do more damage than good.

I just still think this talk of heavy investment a bit kneejerk, i know we are in a very poor position, but we have had a stupid run of fixtures, i genuinely belive that this club could be transformed with 3-5 max, players.