Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Bollocks. Luque was the epitomy of a soft foreign t*** who was totally out of his depth in the premier league.

I agree, and his time at Ajax is proving it, but i still see strong similarities between his time here and Owens. The major difference being Owen getting alot more patience.

The Sevilla guy is Diego Capel, amazing this year and young

We should not be signing any more Spaniards.

Aye, that Arteta would be shit too.

We won't be getting Arteta

So he's the only spanish player who isnt shit?

Straw man argument O0

No, but they don't seem to exactly settle in here do they.  Arteta was used as a completely pointless example.

He joined a club that many NUFC fans (incorrectly) see as being beneath us. And is ace.

How many Spanish players have we had here who've done bad? Out of how many Spanish pro footballers? Personally, I like our odds of finding a decent one (assuming we tell Willie McKay we've moved house, and don't give him a forwarding address).

As an extension of your argument, we wouldn't have signed Abdoulaye Faye or Beye, after our experience with Amady "Absolutely Cosksuckingly Awful" Faye.

Paragraph 1 - He wasn't considered that good when they signed him.  Fair play to them for picking him up.  I'll say it again though, he'll not be coming here.

Paragraph 2 - Every one we have signed

Paragraph 3 - Another Straw Man argument.  I'm talking about Spaniards, who typically don't settle in this region, or even country.

How many spaniards have and have not settled in this country? I'm intrigued, as you have clearly done some research, if you can talk about "typical" behaviour.

Enrique, Marcelino, Luque, Morientes for a start.  Thats without trawling Liverpool's reserve side of the last 2-3 years mind.

What about Almunia, Fabregas, Alonso, Campo, Torres?

You do realise you are in a thread about realistic transfer targets?  Whether we like it or not, at least 4 of that 5 wouldnt have turned down the blubs they did go to to come here.  Like I said in my opnion we shouldn't bother with any more Spaniards.  Obviously that doesn't fit with your opinion so it must be wrong.

I quoted those players as those who have settled into this country, as a direct response to YOUR post regarding those who had not - following on form one where you made a statement about "typical behaviour". But please continue to shift the point of the discussion backwards and forwards if someone points out that you have made a groundless comment.

Right.......

We are in a thread about players we can realistically expect to sign

I said I wouldnt bother with any Spaniards

We're not likely to attract players of the calibre of Alonso, Fabregas and Torres in our current predicament.  I wouldn't sign any average Spanish players.

I think that we'd be better off trying our luck elsewhere.  I really dont understand what your problem is with me thinking this?

Backwards and forwards?  I'm not shifting the point backwards and forwards, realistically I wouldn't sign any Spaniards.  Perhaps I should just keep posting "I wouldn't sign any Spaniards" rather than trying to develop a discussion about it?

When i tried to discuss your post of you no signing any spaniards/the "typical" behaviourof them, you suddenly said the thread was about realistic targets. There was me thinking that threads evolved.

So, what are you basing your "typical" not settling in on, then? Just a feeling you got, when you thought abotu it for 5 seconds?

The three out of three we've had here are what its based on (I admit I am assuming Enrique is struggling to settle in here, but it would explain why he isn't playing, his communcation certainly appears to be poor.  I admit thats an assumption).  There's a fair list of Liverpools spanish flops in here now, to compliment your 2 successes they've had though.

You've missed the point though.  I'd certainly take Torres, Alonso and Fabregas.  They however are exceptions,  anyone would take them, but we're not going to attract that calibre of player.  Out of the players we can most likely attract, I'd not be spending much money on Spaniards.  At the level we are at at the moment, I'd rather we spent our money elsewhere.

Like I say,  thats nothing more than my opinion.

Attempting to constructively move this on though are there any Spanish players you'd think we could and should sign?

Where did i say we coudl or shoudl sign the players i mentioned?

I was specifically naming those players as examples of those who HAD settled in just fine, in response to your comment that this was not typical. You stated that "typically", in this country, Spanish players did not settle.

It was nothing to do with who we shoudl sign, as you well know. However, i acknowledge that you may be uncomfortable having your facts questioned, what with them being based on fuck all, and so felt the need to pretend that a stretch of the discussion hadn't happened.

I was specifically naming those players as examples of those who HAD settled in just fine, in response to your comment that this was not typical. You stated that "typically", in this country, Spanish players did not settle.

It was nothing to do with who we shoudl sign, as you well know. However, i acknowledge that you may be uncomfortable having your facts questioned, what with them being based on fuck all, and so felt the need to pretend that a stretch of the discussion hadn't happened.

Get back in your box mate. 

I'm not pretending anything.  I just wondered if there was anyone you thought we should sign!!!!!!!! It was a genuine question, not a request for you to go over the same point again.  I don't think Spanish players settle, you do, neither of us are likely to change our minds.  So I asked (out of interest) who you think we should get from Spain?  I'm not planning on attempting to shoot down your answer.

PS.  I also didnt say (I don't think I did anyway) that you think we should or could sign those players.  If you've taken it that way, then I apologise, but you've misunderstood me.

It was nothing to do with who we shoudl sign, as you well know. However, i acknowledge that you may be uncomfortable having your facts questioned, what with them being based on f*** all, and so felt the need to pretend that a stretch of the discussion hadn't happened.

I'm not pretending anything.  I just wondered if there was anyone you thought we should sign!!!!!!!! It was a genuine question, not a request for you to go over the same point again.  I don't think Spanish players settle, you do, neither of us are likely to change our minds.  So I asked (out of interest) who you think we should get from Spain?  I'm not planning on attempting to shoot down your answer.

PS.  I also didnt say (I don't think I did anyway) that you think we should or could sign those players.  If you've taken it that way, then I apologise, but you've misunderstood me.

f*** spain! We need to be the dumping ground for portuguese talent from now on!

If we can't get the like's of the Quaresma's or the Nani's or Deco's etc, lets get Jiminez to snap up from the lower leagues in portugal, he may find a diamond.

Lets face it they'd probably have more talent than our entire squad.

So I asked (out of interest) who you think we should get from Spain?  I'm not planning on attempting to shoot down your answer.

Unlike many on here, i don't pretend to watch every La Liga game, or use FM2007 and try to pass off performance in a game as real, so i have as little clue as anyone else as to who we should buy, be they Spanish, Dutch, German or any other nationality.

No matter who we buy, idiots on forums such as this will immediately assume they are class, solely because they have signed for us.

So I asked (out of interest) who you think we should get from Spain?  I'm not planning on attempting to shoot down your answer.

Unlike many on here, i don't pretend to watch every La Liga game, or use FM2007 and try to pass off performance in a game as real, so i have as little clue as anyone else as to who we should buy, be they Spanish, Dutch, German or any other nationality.

No matter who we buy, idiots on forums such as this will immediately assume they are class, solely because they have signed for us.

Ok.  Thanks.

It was nothing to do with who we shoudl sign, as you well know. However, i acknowledge that you may be uncomfortable having your facts questioned, what with them being based on f*** all, and so felt the need to pretend that a stretch of the discussion hadn't happened.

Am i missing something or is this guy totally retarded?

I want us to go after young players who are hungry and keen to establish themselves, not players who are just coming here for the money and the nightlife.

Talk of Ronaldinho, Nani, Deco etc. doesn't interest me any more and for the most part it's completely unrealistic. I'd far rather we bought lesser known players and watched them emerge, and develop into stars under Keegan. That's far more exciting than signing a Ronaldinho for £50m, paying him £120,000 per week and watching him become a shadow of the player he used to be.

Hopefully Vetere can work his magic in the summer and bag us a few gems from Portugal, South America, Eastern Europe etc. (But no more Frenchies or Spaniards).

NB. If we could get Bentley I do think he'd be worth the money

Watched Miguel Veloso the other week playing for Sporting. Looked a good player, quite strong actually. Played as a DM, good first touch.

Someone told me the Portuguese media were saying he's been linked with some big clubs but as far as i know, no bids have been made.

I don't work in football but the boy looks quality to me, with athleticism to match.

Watched Miguel Veloso the other week playing for Sporting. Looked a good player, quite strong actually. Played as a DM, good first touch.

Someone told me the Portuguese media were saying he's been linked with some big clubs but as far as i know, no bids have been made.

I don't work in football but the boy looks quality to me, with athleticism to match.

Manu want him, i reckon Carrick to us and him to them wouldn't be too off the mark in the summer.

I want us to go after young players who are hungry and keen to establish themselves, not players who are just coming here for the money and the nightlife.

Talk of Ronaldinho, Nani, Deco etc. doesn't interest me any more and for the most part it's completely unrealistic. I'd far rather we bought lesser known players and watched them emerge, and develop into stars under Keegan. That's far more exciting than signing a Ronaldinho for £50m, paying him £120,000 per week and watching him become a shadow of the player he used to be.

Hopefully Vetere can work his magic in the summer and bag us a few gems from Portugal, South America, Eastern Europe etc. (But no more Frenchies or Spaniards).

Funny that Spaniards and Frenchies only fail in the north east...

Funny that Spaniards and Frenchies only fail in the north east...

Oh sorry, they only fail at Newcastle...

Guest shaun11177

It will be hard enough getting players without saying they cannot be French or Spanish. Ginola was pretty good. English ones havent been exactly great recently.

The real problem has always been our piss poor scouting network or lack of it. A player like Aaron Lennon playing down the road at Leeds and Spurs pick him up for virtually nothing.

Joao Moutinho.

I greatly admire this player, and I watch enough Portuguese football to honestly say he can be one of the greatest attacking midfielders in the world. His passing ability is excellent and he has so much vision. Although, I do see Anderson as superior, but he is worth about £20 million now. Moutinho would probably cost £10-15m.

French players generally do well here but their attitudes stink. Ginola and Robert aside, every French player we've had has engineered a move away or caused bother in some way. Spanish players just seem unable to adapt to the North east culture. There are actually very few Spaniards who settle in the Premiership at all in fact, and of those that do the majority are either in London or at a club with a large Spanish contingent such as Liverpool.

I wouldn't rule out signing any player from anywhere to be honest but it just seems we've had bad luck with players from these two countries in particular. I really hope Enrique is an exception because he looks a decent player from the little i've seen of him.

Guest Sniffer

Which french players have generally done well here apart from Ginola and Robert?

As for portuguese? Viana was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread and we all know what a useless waste of money he turned out to be.

I think it's very difficult to determine whether a player can adapt to the premier league no matter how good they look in their domestic leagues. Some managers can do it well and others can't. You know the ones we've had.

Which french players have generally done well here apart from Ginola and Robert?

As for portuguese? Viana was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread and we all know what a useless waste of money he turned out to be.

I think it's very difficult to determine whether a player can adapt to the premier league no matter how good they look in their domestic leagues. Some managers can do it well and others can't. You know the ones we've had.

Viana didn't exactly 'adapt' in Spain either so i'm not sure he's the best example.

Manu want him, i reckon Carrick to us and him to them wouldn't be too off the mark in the summer.

Spurs have got first refusal on Carrick should Man Utd want to sell him, written into the contract when Spurs sold him.  That's not to say Carrick would automatically agree to come back but he probably would if what was said and the manner he conducted himself with that move was anything to go by.  The main sticking point would be the transfer fee if it did come down to Carrick moving, but I think the discussion is academic, I don't think Rednose is in any rush to move on Carrick.

Guest Sniffer

Depends how much SAF wants to spend in the summer. Even he will probably have to move a couple of players, not only for the money, but also to keep a few happy with appearances.

Why would Carrick move from a big club to an average sized one, at thispoint in his career?

And for the love of God, don't try to say that all players have some kind of hero worship of Keegan, or some other blatant shite.

Distin, Domi, Bernard, Robert, Ginola and N'Zogbia all did well enough. Goma was OK

Viana looked alright at first but god knows what happened. He does seem to be an exception though. Ronaldo, Nani, Boa Morte, Tiago, Paolo Ferriera, Carvalho have all done well in the Premiership.

Distin, Domi, Bernard, Robert, Ginola and N'Zogbia all did well enough. Goma was OK

Viana looked alright at first but god knows what happened. He does seem to be an exception though. Ronaldo, Nani, Boa Morte, Tiago, Paolo Ferriera, Carvalho have all done well in the Premiership.

distin fucked off for greed

domi fucked off in a huff

bernard fucked off and needed the fa to tell him he couldn't

ginola lasted 1 1/2 seasons before him bottom lip hit the deck

robert, good season bad season good/bad season

n'zogbia good start 18months of huff