Obafemi Martins

Wullie

There is an article in a magazine called When Saturday Comes written by the Italian journo who sparked the age confusion. Apparently the webmaster of the Nigerian website didnt get paid so he messed up loads of stuff on the site to piss them off :lol:

:lol:

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins is confident he can be a success at St James' Park.

The £10 million signing is still looking for his first goal for Newcastle since his arrival from Internazionale.

Martins has no worries about his goalscoring drought and has promised to prove his worth to the Magpies faithful.

"Maybe I am a slow starter but once I break the jinx I won't stop scoring," Martins told The Sun.

"I want to score goals because that is what I'm paid to do.

"The fans are looking forward to seeing their striker scoring, I promise them I'm working towards it - and despite the robust defences I will still score great goals here.

"The Italians are masters of defensive football. I scored in Italy, so I'll score in the Premiership too."

The Nigerian endured a difficult debut for Newcastle when picking up a leg injury in the 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa and he is ready put it behind him.

"Losing on your debut is bad - getting injured in the same match is worse. But I've decided to push that behind me and move on," added Martins.

Meanwhile, Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder believes he has nothing to prove as he prepares to make his first return to West Ham.

Roeder spent two years in charge of West Ham, but he was sacked in 2003 after the club suffered relegation.

Roeder is not worried about any hostile reception he might receive on his return to Upton Park and says he is not bitter about his exit.

"It doesn't bother me. As I found out at the end of managing West Ham, life can potentially be very short whatever the reception," said Roeder.

"On the day, that will be the last thing on my mind. It is not about my reception. My team is the major player on the day.

"I don't feel I have anything to prove there. I have kept in touch with a couple of board members there since I left.

"I'm not one of those managers who hopes that his previous club does poorly and I'm delighted the way things have turned out for West Ham."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=416410&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=3&title=Martins+confident+of+success

I thought he really grew as the game went today. Gemmill was right to question his first touch but it looked 80% there in the second half. His pace is there and emre nearly picked him out a few times. Iirc emre was lucky with the bouce but so what he did really well cutting in from the right and beating a couple of players to put Martins through.

How many times was the Martins song done? He must feel canny welcome.

well done martins, good well taken goal, a cool finish and an assist...

we cant expect much more than for him to continue to work hard for the cause and keep on trying to score goals. im really happy for him and the team with this goal, well done.

well done duff too! good to see him get off the mark.

I thought he really grew as the game went today. Gemmill was right to question his first touch but it looked 80% there in the second half. His pace is there and emre nearly picked him out a few times. Iirc emre was lucky with the bouce but so what he did really well cutting in from the right and beating a couple of players to put Martins through.

How many times was the Martins song done? He must feel canny welcome.

him and lee clark were last ones down the tunnel today

martins=class

The real positive he seems to have which is something players coming into the English league is he puts in a real graft, will run his arse off and although he is quite small will battle as much as he can!

It was really good to hear, right near the end the commentator saying Martins put in a block resulting in them having a corner. Just shows he is there willing to work for the team anywhere on the pitch until the end and thats something added to his pace and ability which will help him a huge amount in settling into this league.

Future looks bright for this one and all jokes aside at 21 years old lets hope its a long one for our new number 9.

Him and Shola were really good today, they bullied the West Ham back four all match, I bet they have the bruises to show for it. He did put in a lot of work coming back into the midfield and winning the ball and got that block in right near the end - with his hand like!! :lol:

Does anyone know if the smb did a reprint of the prog for the game at the stad de shite?.i have just bought a one from a dealer for £3 and i cant find the offending simon crabtree article in it.

Guest Knightrider

whats annoying me, is that all the media keep banging on about his goal drought and about how he looks like he is not settling in. But they dont mention the fact that kuyt hasnt scored for liverpool, bellamy hasnt scored in the prem, and tevez hasnt scored yet either!

Exactly, Shevchenko has done fuck all since coming to Chelsea while Bellamy and Kuyt are looking fairly average at the moment. The fella who scored for Arsenal today had a great game and he's a different player altogether compared to when he first played for Arsenal where he looked lazy, light weight and had a poor first touch - today he played perfect as a lone striker and won them the game. Players take time to adapt, even players we know who are good (Shevchenko) and those who have Premiership experience need time to adapt to new clubs (Bellamy) as well. It will take Martins time, but the signs are promosing. By all accounts he worked his socks off today, was involved in the two goals, scoring the winner and he linked up well with Ameobi.

whats annoying me, is that all the media keep banging on about his goal drought and about how he looks like he is not settling in. But they dont mention the fact that kuyt hasnt scored for liverpool, bellamy hasnt scored in the prem, and tevez hasnt scored yet either!

Exactly, Shevchenko has done **** all since coming to Chelsea while Bellamy and Kuyt are looking fairly average at the moment. The fella who scored for Arsenal today had a great game and he's a different player altogether compared to when he first played for Arsenal where he looked lazy, light weight and had a poor first touch - today he played perfect as a lone striker and won them the game. Players take time to adapt, even players we know who are good (Shevchenko) and those who have Premiership experience need time to adapt to new clubs (Bellamy) as well. It will take Martins time, but the signs are promosing. By all accounts he worked his socks off today, was involved in the two goals, scoring the winner and he linked up well with Ameobi.

Zidane is the finest player ive personally ever seen (bar maybe Redondo), imo he was twice as good as anyone you can name currently playing the game - shits all over Riquelme, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Henry, all of them - yet even he took 5+ months of playing shiite at Madrid to settle in fully and adjust to a new team/system/teamates as well as the team to adjust to him and play to his strengths. I remember in his first few months there things looked so poor that he was being called a complete rip off at 48mill. By the end of the season, Juve were the ones considered to have been ripped off.

Very few players settle in instantly, especially when theyre expected to. Its normally the ones who arent expected to do so well who hit the ground running.

sorry for putting above post in here but have just registered and cant find how to start new post

It's alright mate. At the moment you have to post a new thread in the post moderation forum then it's ok'd (or not) by one of us (mods) and we put it in the appropriate forum. It's just a trial though and it's going to be dumped in a matter of days, because people didn't like it, at which point it'll be back to the usual method.

Guest Gosport Toon

Exactly, Shevchenko has done **** all since coming to Chelsea while Bellamy and Kuyt are looking fairly average at the moment. The fella who scored for Arsenal today had a great game and he's a different player altogether compared to when he first played for Arsenal where he looked lazy, light weight and had a poor first touch - today he played perfect as a lone striker and won them the game. Players take time to adapt, even players we know who are good (Shevchenko) and those who have Premiership experience need time to adapt to new clubs (Bellamy) as well. It will take Martins time, but the signs are promosing. By all accounts he worked his socks off today, was involved in the two goals, scoring the winner and he linked up well with Ameobi.

yES i THINK WE'D ALL BE MOANING IF WE'D PAID £30M FOR sCHEVCHENKO AND HE PLAYED FOR US LIKE HE HAS FOR CHELSEA

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71911288.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61E7DE4468352012F59D55AD35CA51490

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71911285.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61E7DE4468352012F591E7EC1A351FC8B

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71911286.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61E7DE4468352012F4EF3EA9A178B7582

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71911289.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61E7DE4468352012F810F755E003CBEB8