Obafemi Martins

Wullie

No way, Martins was always there trying to find places, Owen was just, actually i dont know what Owen was doing as i couldnt see anything from him

Martins hardly any runs at all, he's got so much pace but never uses it.  Always stood still waiting for the ball.

Neither striker did much but Owen got stuck in at least, Oba didn't.

1st half Owen played with a snile on his face and chased everything got stuck right in, great to see but in doing that he left Oba all alone to try and win high balls, or try to hold the ball up whilst getting crowded out. THey ned to pkay MUCH closer together, Oba got very frustrated and I cannot blame him but he needs to stop fkn off down the tunnel in a huff.

Owen dropping deep is just an effective of our non creative midfield, Guthrie made a massive difference and will provide ore so Owen can stay higher up the pitch. Both Oba and Owen will benifit from it.

No way, Martins was always there trying to find places, Owen was just, actually i dont know what Owen was doing as i couldnt see anything from him

Owen was getting the ball forwards, won second balls, had good distribution and worked well defensively. Not to mention he was actually looking up for the game for once, he seemed to be caring more than usual and did his best to link up with an absent midfield by coming backwards for the ball. I haven't rated Owen for many many games, but he looked like a goalscorer today, which he in all honesty was hadn't the linesman been a cunt. With a more useful midfield, we would've been a much bigger threat offensively than we was. But it was thanks to Owen we had some tooth going forward, not Martins.

Martins was just running around like a headless chicken and losing the ball, except two good situations where he fooled some Chelsea players. Not to mention he just shot the ball in a bad situation when he could've just pushed it to the left to a wide open Owen who had a wide open goal in front of him. I'd much rather see an Owen - Carroll partnership against Stoke, Martins is just too ineffective and egoistic. Hopefully Shearer can knock some sense into him.

Neither was great. Neither was awful. Oba threatened at times and so did Owen. Both players managed it despite being provided with very little. Don't understand the vitriol towards either. Like I mean it's neither of their faults we lost. I guess I shouldn't be surpirsed that the Oba and Owen threads are really active now, and the Coloccini, Butt, RTaylor, etc. threads are dormant.

Neither was great. Neither was awful. Oba threatened at times and so did Owen. Both players managed it despite being provided with very little. Don't understand the vitriol towards either. Like I mean it's neither of their faults we lost. I guess I shouldn't be surpirsed that the Oba and Owen threads are really active now, and the Coloccini, Butt, RTaylor, etc. threads are dormant.

You have a handicap for seeing if Martins did well or not though, with him being Nigerian. :pow:

Martins isn't a bad player, he just needs to work on being less egoistic and his link-up play with others. Individually he is quite good, but he also needs to work on his finishing skills. One awesome goal for the cameras in every 6-7 game is not good enough, even if it gives the impression he is awesome.

The Owen (with amounts of d-ryders on it) and Martins war will always continue, its just natural and sad, but Martins did more then Owen today, end of it

Argument won, well done.

Not really, look at the stats for each player in this game and you will see Owen did more. I'm sure of it. Not to mention, Owen "scored" hadn't the linesman been a cunt. Martins did not.

The Owen (with amounts of d-ryders on it) and Martins war will always continue, its just natural and sad, but Martins did more then Owen today, end of it

Argument won, well done.

Not really, look at the stats for each player in this game and you will see Owen did more. I'm sure of it. Not to mention, Owen "scored" hadn't the linesman been a c***. Martins did not.

I was being sarcastic.  :razz:

Guest Stephen927

Thought Alex had Martins in his pocket for large spells today, Owen and Terry was a more intriguing battle.

Therefore, Owen > Martins today.  :aww:

Argument won, well done.

Not really, look at the stats for each player in this game and you will see Owen did more. I'm sure of it. Not to mention, Owen "scored" hadn't the linesman been a c***. Martins did not.

I was being sarcastic.  :razz:

Thank fuck, was scared for your sanity for a moment. :razz:

Both scored 0 goals today. If fit they both need to play.

I don't agree. It's not about how good they are individually, it's about how good they should be together. And Owen and Carroll seems to have a better "connection" than Owen and Martins. Which I'm sure could provide more goals from Owen.

Then again a 4-3-3 would solve all these problems with Owen and Carroll being able to link up and act as our proper forwards, whilst Martins can do his usual wandering about doing nothing for the team and having a moment of glory now and then.

Then why was it that Terry had Martins all the game and won what, maybe one header against Martins?

Did we see the same game?

It's fair enough to win headers, you still need to get them to your players. Not just head it back to the opposing team.

Then why was it that Terry had Martins all the game and won what, maybe one header against Martins?

Did we see the same game?

And I don't think you watched the same game as the rest of us to be honest. Could be you fell asleep perhaps and had a vivid dream where Martins was king of the world?  :pow:

I don't agree. It's not about how good they are individually, it's about how good they should be together. And Owen and Carroll seems to have a better "connection" than Owen and Martins. Which I'm sure could provide more goals from Owen.

Then again a 4-3-3 would solve all these problems with Owen and Carroll being able to link up and act as our proper forwards, whilst Martins can do his usual wandering about doing nothing for the team and having a moment of glory now and then.

Carroll is naff, came on & spent more times down the flanks than in the middle. I cant see Al going with 433.

As we are a shite  TEAM we are going to need INDIVIDUALITY  to get us out of trouble.

Carroll is naff, came on & spent more times down the flanks than in the middle. I cant see Al going with 433.

As we are a shite  TEAM we are going to need INDIVIDUALITY  to get us out of trouble.

The problem is our individuality is complete shite as well. Jonas can beat as many players as he wants, but he still can't get the ball to other players or into the net. Martins the same. Owen can still do things on his own that results in a goal, but he needs un-selfish players around him for that to happen. We can't rely on Martins as a constant goalscorer, or provider.

I'm not bigging up Carroll, just FYI. Just saying we should try someone else up top with Owen from the starting whistle rather than Martins. Be it Carroll, Xisco, A Youngster or hell, even Smith. I've lost my patience with Martins.

As we are a s****  TEAM we are going to need INDIVIDUALITY  to get us out of trouble.

The problem is our individuality is complete s**** as well. Jonas can beat as many players as he wants, but he still can't get the ball to other players or into the net. Martins the same. Owen can still do things on his own that results in a goal, but he needs un-selfish players around him for that to happen. We can't rely on Martins as a constant goalscorer, or provider.

I think we have to compared to the likes AC, Smith, Shola, Xisco & the never present Viduka.

I'm not bigging up Carroll, just FYI. Just saying we should try someone else up top with Owen from the starting whistle rather than Martins. Be it Carroll, Xisco, A Youngster or hell, even Smith. I've lost my patience with Martins.

You must have posted this after my reply. I would like to see Owen as far up the field as possible & if he is offside more often than Pipo so be it, let Oba go deep as he has the legs to motor up the pitch, Owen playing deep leaves Oba isolated.

You must have posted this after my reply. I would like to see Owen as far up the field as possible & if he is offside more often than Pipo so be it, let Oba go deep as he has the legs to motor up the pitch, Owen playing deep leaves Oba isolated.

Aye, I edited, but it was before I noticed your reply.

And that could work, Owen shouldn't be tracking back as much as he does at current. But I still think Martins would need to become less selfish when on the ball, and look for options rather than appear to think "I have the ball. ... SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT." for either himself or Owen to be more effective in their partnership.

both owen and martins are good premiership players and amongst the best we've got. both are terribly off-form but we've seen that they can string good performances together when the system and tactics and balance is right. it's the job of the manager to get the best out of them which is what keegan did last season, remains to be seen whether shearer can do so.

As I have said in the other thread Oba is a terrible footballer. Finishing, footballing brain and first touch are non-existant but because he's a bit quirky and he can rifle in a goal or two from 30+ years he gets away with it.

That really is quite impressive, you've got to admit.