Obafemi Martins

Wullie

As I have said in the other thread Oba is a terrible footballer. Finishing, footballing brain and first touch are non-existant but because he's a bit quirky and he can rifle in a goal or two from 30+ years he gets away with it.

Just noticed that :lol: :lol:

Neither was great. Neither was awful. Oba threatened at times and so did Owen. Both players managed it despite being provided with very little. Don't understand the vitriol towards either. Like I mean it's neither of their faults we lost. I guess I shouldn't be surpirsed that the Oba and Owen threads are really active now, and the Coloccini, Butt, RTaylor, etc. threads are dormant.

You have a handicap for seeing if Martins did well or not though, with him being Nigerian. :pow:

Martins isn't a bad player, he just needs to work on being less egoistic and his link-up play with others. Individually he is quite good, but he also needs to work on his finishing skills. One awesome goal for the cameras in every 6-7 game is not good enough, even if it gives the impression he is awesome.

Honestly, I thought both strikers were alright today. Even Carrol tried pretty hard when he came on. Everyone else seems to want to crucify the midget with the afro. I don't know, I just don't see what he did all that wrong today, had some decent moments actually. Does look off-color though I'll admit, but I really fail to see how this is the tipping point in him being a bad player. :lol:

Think Owen is really close to being back fit and sharp again, and that's something we need. Especially see as the Dane can't breath right now.

edit:

As I have said in the other thread Oba is a terrible footballer. Finishing, footballing brain and first touch are non-existant but because he's a bit quirky and he can rifle in a goal or two from 30+ years he gets away with it.

:lol:

[kneejerk]

I'm starting to think he could actually be coming down to the Championship with us.

I mean, when it comes down to it, how much better is he than the likes of say.. Ricardo Fuller or Marlon King?

[/kneejerk]

[kneejerk]

I'm starting to think he could actually be coming down to the Championship with us.

I mean, when it comes down to it, how much better is he than the likes of say.. Ricardo Fuller or Marlon King?

[/kneejerk]

At least they score goals.  :coolsmiley:

[kneejerk]

[/kneejerk]

Arsenal want him, according to the man himself.  :undecided:

:cheesy:

[kneejerk]

[/kneejerk]

They seem to "want" all our whiny players though. Strange that. :shifty:

Guest Chubby Jason

[kneejerk]

[/kneejerk]

That rumour must be the most repeated bullshit story made up. Wenger only likes players that can actually play football and know how to pass and control a ball and Martins can't do either of those things. I also remember his disgracful comments about how he would like to goto Arsenal and countless other occasions of him hinting that he might want to leave. Yet for some reason people seem to worship him as if he's a world class striker that would walk into any team in the land, really don't understand it at all.

Whatever anyone says about Oba his goals kept us in the Premiership in the 2006/2007 season. He's dysfunctional and unpredictable but he is always a threat against average Premiership sides. I can't see that his performance today against Chelsea means much in the context of where we are as a club right now. I'd judge him more against the likes of  Boro, Fulham, Stoke, Pompey and Spurs.

Incredibly frustrating today, but was being asked to challenge Alex, Ivanovic and Terry for long-balls for the entire game. I can forgive him for that, at least.

What I struggle to forgive is his lack of application and want to close opposing defenders down and his absolute fucking refusal to work the fucking channels like a player of his pace should be doing all fucking day long.

Been a while since he had me tearing my hair out, in fairness, but today he most definitely did. Seemed unaffected by the Shearer-factor, unlike his strike partner who was buzzing about and looking twice the player he has been for a good while (although I do appreciate that isn't hard to do after recent "performances".)

Let's hope it was just a bad day at the office for him, as he should be vital to us.

Guest stjamestoon

I think he looses the ball far too much, and lacks a bit in ball control. He is very quick but doesnt seem to know what to do with the ball when he has it..

I think he looses the ball far too much, and lacks a bit in ball control. He is very quick but doesnt seem to know what to do with the ball when he has it..

Bar the 2-0 and 3-0 wins against Aston Villa and Portsmouth, the team as a whole never looks comfortable on the ball.

We have the worst midfield possible for a player like Oba (and Owen). Not one of them, with the possible exception of Guthrie, is able to feed him a telling ball to feet.

ooh!  common sense alert

i was thinking this morning that we should show oba and jonas a video of villa to teach them how to work the channels and the space between CB's & FB's as they did it wonderfully yesterday against manyoo

then i thought what's the fucking point?  barry, petrov, shorey & young were playing accurate passes, pinpoint into space at times

butt, nolan, r taylor & enrique playing the same passes?  forget it

Guest battyleespeed

that's what you get with a ex-street footballer playing in the PL... Asprilla Mk II.

take a way the odd fancy footwork and his game starts to look pretty poor. I like the fact that he can create space for himself to have a shot but its his overall game that is really starting to piss me off. Like already stated he doesn't work the channels and in general he doesn't play for the team. His off-the-ball runs are laughable considering what pace he's got.

I just don't think he's got what it takes to shoulder the responsibility of being one of the two main strikers, or the first-choice striker. Maybe its all the bling bling shots in the "players in public" thread but its starting to get on my tits seeing that when he SHOULD HAD stepped on the plate, with Owen and Viduka have been out most of the season, he didn't and doesn't look like he even realizes that himself. This is the top 10m international striker and he produces f*** all. His goal in Arsenal game was just a piece of luck that covered for the fact that he should had buried the penalty as it would had completely transformed the game.

He has the ability (like on Saturday with John Terry, on one occasion) to get in behind defenders and cause them problems. He wins so many headers in the air, the other players should anticipate that he is going to win the header.

I feel sorry for him

Did Asprilla ever manage an average of better than 1 goal in 3?

No, but he was playing with Shearer and Ferdinand, who were finishing most of the chances.  I haven't got any stats but I'd say he was involved in and set up many more goals than Martins ever will.

Even if Asprilla wasn't good enough or wasn't consistent enough or whatever it has nothing to do with the fact that Martins isn't good enough at the moment.

that's what you get with a ex-street footballer playing in the PL... Asprilla Mk II.

take a way the odd fancy footwork and his game starts to look pretty poor. I like the fact that he can create space for himself to have a shot but its his overall game that is really starting to piss me off. Like already stated he doesn't work the channels and in general he doesn't play for the team. His off-the-ball runs are laughable considering what pace he's got.

I just don't think he's got what it takes to shoulder the responsibility of being one of the two main strikers, or the first-choice striker. Maybe its all the bling bling shots in the "players in public" thread but its starting to get on my tits seeing that when he SHOULD HAD stepped on the plate, with Owen and Viduka have been out most of the season, he didn't and doesn't look like he even realizes that himself. This is the top 10m international striker and he produces f*** all. His goal in Arsenal game was just a piece of luck that covered for the fact that he should had buried the penalty as it would had completely transformed the game.

You can't compare Martins with Asprilla, completely different players. Plus Oba's technique and general awareness is nowhere near what Tino's could be. Agree about the inconsistencies though.

You can't compare Martins with Asprilla, completely different players. Plus Oba's technique and general awareness is nowhere near what Tino's could be. Agree about the inconsistencies though.

Agreed, one of Tino's great strenghts was his finishing composure where if you give Martins more than 0.1 secs to think about it in front of goal it generally goes bad.