Keegan Challenge For Milner

Tooj

Selfish player on the ball (we've all played with his type, the ones who think theyre Maradona and when you pass to them in specific positions will run off with the ball playing their own game whilst constantly fucking up), with no accruacy or consistency to complement the good ability to turn on the ball, poor passing, poor at building up the play with the team, and slow - both in terms of running and in terms of delivering his cross.

Just get rid of the ex-Leeds contingent.

He played very well today against one of the best full-backs in the league. In addition, he got Carling Player of the Month. If that doesn't deserve credit I don't know what does.

Very well? In what way? Turning a defender then kicking it out of play?

Off the ball hes great, but on the ball hes only good at attacking the fullback high up the pitch. Everything else - contributing to the build up, passing and moving, picking players out, etc, hes piss poor at - Nobby Solano anyone as an example of how much better a player is when theyre good at building the play up? And even being good at attacking the fullback is made useless when its followed up by a cross into the keeper's hands, over everyone's head, or straight into a defender.

Got bored of counting the number of times moves broke down because of his inability to play a team game on the ball. Hes similar to Butt but not as obvious because he sees the ball less often.

He played very well today against one of the best full-backs in the league. In addition, he got Carling Player of the Month. If that doesn't deserve credit I don't know what does.

Off the ball hes great, but on the ball hes only good at attacking the fullback high up the pitch. Everything else - contributing to the build up, passing and moving, picking players out, etc, hes piss poor at (remember Nobby? He was practically the opposite player, yet far better). And even being good at attacking the fullback is made useless when its followed up by a cross into the keeper's hands, over everyone's head, or straight into a defender.

Got bored of counting the number of times moves broke down because of his inability to play a team game on the ball. Hes similar to Butt but not as obvious because he sees the ball less often.

Very well in the way that he got an assist, his delivery from set-pieces regularly caused problems for United, he tracked back well and got on Evra's bad side plenty of times. Also his delivery was quite good today - certainly better than Zog's - but the lack of bodies in the box hardly helped. He can't be bad if Martin O'Neill was so eager to sign him and still is regretting that he missed out on him. It seems the guy can't do right by you lot.

Off the ball hes great, but on the ball hes only good at attacking the fullback high up the pitch. Everything else - contributing to the build up, passing and moving, picking players out, etc, hes piss poor at (remember Nobby? He was practically the opposite player, yet far better). And even being good at attacking the fullback is made useless when its followed up by a cross into the keeper's hands, over everyone's head, or straight into a defender.

Very well in the way that he got an assist, his delivery from set-pieces regularly caused problems for United, he tracked back well and got on Evra's bad side plenty of times. Also his delivery was quite good today - certainly better than Zog's - but the lack of bodies in the box hardly helped. He can't be bad if Martin O'Neill was so eager to sign him and still is regretting that he missed out on him. It seems the guy can't do right by you lot.

In other words, he put in about 2 decent set pieces and tracked back alot. Im pretty sure the assist will go to Carroll, but attribute that to Milner too if you want.

I doubt Evra will have gone off the pitch thinking he had a tough time against Milner - had Milner's crossing been of an adequate standard, then maybe, but otherwise its like watching a slow version of Dennis Rommedahl - noones cares if he gets past the defender when he kicks it out of play or shoots 5 yards wide. Add a bit of Scott Parker to the mix, ie the need to hog the ball and slow things down needlessly, and what Milner does well is even less effective.

When Milner plays well, I'll be one of the first to congratulate him and sing his praises to the hills. The last time he did so iirc was against Ferreira at home to Chelsea last season, when he caused them all sorts of problems, his linkup and passing were decent, and his crossing/shooting was accurate. That seems to have been a one off game though, because hes been piss poor this season and hes turning into a major bottleneck for the team (well, he cant really be a bottleneck if there are several players who are producing the same slowdowns and inefficiencies, so maybe it would be better to say hes a major contributor to the overall bottleneck).

And being one of our better players means nothing when we're playing woeful as a team, we have s*** overrated players playing in the other positions, and the one player who has more ability and potential is playing at left back. All thats needed for Milner to be one of our "better" players is for him to pick the ball up, meander down the wing, check in and out to create a bit of space, and put an aimless ball into the box. And thats what hes actually doing. Again, a bit Scott Parker-esque, he personally does alright when the team is playing s*** because hes like a solo player, playing his own game, whilst you rarely see what effect he has when the team plays well because he contributes to the team struggling to do so (unfair to pin any blame on him, but were talking about a slow, inconsistent winger who holds up play whilst he twists and turns, so its accurate imo).

I wouldnt be unhappy with Milner as a backup winger for either flank, and despite his faults im not saying hes a "bad" player per se - just that hes someone who contributes to a poor, slow team that cant play football and struggles with consistency even in the basics. Hes part of the massive problem we have right now, something which could see us get relegated, and the position that he plays in is probably the prime position that needs a serious injection of pace. If ONeill wants him and is willing to pay something like £6m, then I wouldnt miss Milner at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Good offer that like. Potentially a bit sticky if we don't have a replacement lined up, though...

If he and N'Zogbia were to go we'd be left with no wingers.

I see that Duff has completely left your train of thought as being classed as any sort of footballer. Good lad.

I'd be very surprised if we stumped up 8m for him, but I would not be at all surprised if we paid 5m for him.

He's a quality player who has lost his way. His attitude is spot on. The only of your players who faintly looked like he gave a shit in the fixture at our place.

I love that 1940s schoolboy style haircut as well. He looks like he had it done prior to jumping on a train evacuating him to Devon. Or something.

Gotta say, im not the biggest fan of Milner but something tells me that we'd be making a bit of a mistake selling him, last year to be honest i thought he had England potential, he was one of our most productive players and was definitely consistent, bit unfair booting him out on the back of this seasons farce but for £8m......if only he worked on his crossing.

Given our track record of buying players in recent times and the lack of players who I think will be available in the summer due to our league position, I think selling Milner would be a massive mistake. There are far more pressing areas to improve, maybe if we were sitting in 5th at the moment and looking to build a team to break into the top 4 should we potentially be looking elsewhere but right now we are not in a position to be selling england under 21 internationalists whose attitude is always spot on.