Keegan Challenge For Milner

Tooj

JAMES Milner has the attitude and ability to become a future England international - that is the opinion of his Magpie boss Kevin Keegan.

The former Leeds United starlet became the record appearance holder for the Three Lions' under-21s last year and has now amassed 36 caps for his country.

But, while Milner is still able to turn out at that level until after next summer's European Championships in Sweden, Toon gaffer KK has challenged his young winger to start knocking on Fabio Capello's senior door having seen fellow the likes of Ashley Young and David Bentley make that step up.

"You have to remember he's still young," Keegan told Newcastle World TV.

"Just because he has got a lot of experience and played a lot of games you can't hide the fact that he's still got another year to play at under-21 level.

"But the challenge for James, and we have talked about this with him, is to make that jump into the full squad.

"He has played enough games with the under-21s but it would be great to go and win something with them maybe next year.

"I'm sure he wants to do that and they've got a chance because Stuart Pearce has got a great squad."

Nevertheless, Keegan says that Milner's prime concern is Newcastle United and acknowledges that it is at club level where he will make the necessary improvements to transform him into an international player.

"His bread and butter is here and there's still a lot of improvement left in him," added the former England captain and manager.

"He's a very good player now but he can improve and he knows that.

"The one thing you know with him is that he will work hard at it and he will listen.

"Some players you have to kick up the backside, but you don't have to do that with James.

"And that's why the fans like him so much here."

Guest nufc_geordie

He's not a very good player, he's average with the potential to be good. Get someone else in Kev.

Thats a pretty brave statement mate considerig we have nobody else that can play in that role. He is a good player and at the beginning of this season when we were winning games he was one of the better players around. Another case of lets find a scapegoat. There are other players to replace in order to improve the squad before I would consider getting a replacement for Milner and they list as:

GK

2 x CM

1 x CF

Maybe even 2 full backs.

These are far more important than replacing Milner as far as I'm concerned.

He has his critics who say he's awful and his fanboys who say he's got the potential to be excellent.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Bring in some competition for his place and see if the can lad raise his game to the required level (because I do agree that he isn't there yet).  Even if not, he's a canny squad player in the interim period.

He's not a very good player, he's average with the potential to be good. Get someone else in Kev.

Thats a pretty brave statement mate considerig we have nobody else that can play in that role. He is a good player and at the beginning of this season when we were winning games he was one of the better players around. Another case of lets find a scapegoat. There are other players to replace in order to improve the squad before I would consider getting a replacement for Milner and they list as:

GK

2 x CM

1 x CF

Maybe even 2 full backs.

He's decent but we need pace down the wings. Teams aren't scared of players with no pace receiving the ball 40 yards from their goal because they know he won't turn them and get in behind, one of the things I don't like about Milner also is he never makes it hard for the opposition to play against him. I think he needs to come in off the line more, get up front when we have the ball over the other side, you know, rip shit up.  bluerazz.gif

GK

2 x CM

1 x CF

Maybe even 2 full backs.

The real reason people are crying for creativity in central midfield is because our wingers aren't. Get someone genuinely creative on the right (as our left hand side is more direct and effective than the right), then we just need to sort our midfield backbone through a decent, physically good DM who doesn't waste possession (Think of a combination of Geremi and Faye), then get a ball playing centre half (unless Kadar is almost ready), then get a physically imposing striker, then get a keeper, then get a left back.

Even if we turn into a top 6 team over the next 2-3 years he's a canny squad player to have.

Much as I'm not a massive fan of Milner, I'd agree with that.

Can play both sides and even up front or through the middle in a pinch as well.

Is there anyone left that Keegan's not praised via the media? It's all a trick man.

Just Enrique, Cacapa, Edgar, Tozer, Baheng and Krul left by my reckoning.

Would be a bit difficult for him to heap praise on Krul, having not seen him play.

Guest Christbane

Said Cacapa was his rock didn't he?

He has the pace of a rock, I'll give him that

We're sorted then. Cacapa with the pace of a rock, Taylor with the brain of a rock.

Champions League here we come!

I think people are quick to forget Milner's performances last season, where he was our man of the match pretty much every week, particularly in the second half of the season. He's been poor this season, though, I agree.

For a winger so slow, Milner does not have the trickery to beat his man or quality on the ball to justify a place in our side, and in his 67 Premier League appearances for us I'm yet to see any evidence of either of those improving.

We are probably the slowest side in the Premiership, and are full to the brim with players who can huff and puff for 90 mins but lack class.

Milner is one of these.

Sir Bobby was (as always) spot on when he said “The likes of Alan Smith, Nicky Butt, Mark Viduka, Geremi and so on may be all right individually, but put together and the team is short on legs."

GK

2 x CM

1 x CF

Maybe even 2 full backs.

The real reason people are crying for creativity in central midfield is because our wingers aren't. Get someone genuinely creative on the right (as our left hand side is more direct and effective than the right), then we just need to sort our midfield backbone through a decent, physically good DM who doesn't waste possession (Think of a combination of Geremi and Faye), then get a ball playing centre half (unless Kadar is almost ready), then get a physically imposing striker, then get a keeper, then get a left back.

you'll find that whenever our wide men get the ball (esp 30yds or so from goal) they have to contend with 2 defenders because of the lack of movement/poor movement from the central midfielders or full backs. our lack of movement throughout the team has made us very easy to defend against.it doesn't even need a bucketful of pace just basic footbaling nouse.